It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stretch of sand/beach disappears at Los Frailes,

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnCommonProblems
reply to post by Human_Alien

"Unprecedented" is good enough for me to know something is not right here.

Well, if that's your rule of thumb for thinking something isn't right, may I suggest a better yardstick? Stuff like this has been going on since before mankind, only man's own arrogance combined with their ignorance could possible think that when the mundane happens during THEIR life time that they mus be living in "special" times and something is "coming".

Sorry dude, life is mundane compared to your overwhelming desire for fantasy, but I for one still find our world amazon without having to resort to such outrageous assumptions in order to enjoy it for what it is.

You MUST be overlooking this crucial point of interest (and WHY I posted this)

It's not that a beach eroded.
It's that it disappeared in 24 hours!!!!

That's not fantasy. That's an event that begs for answers.

And I quote:

Reports that 20 years ago something similar happened, but never of the magnitude as that seen now.

So just because we get earthquakes doesn't mean a 9.5 mg is common.
So using that analogy to those who dismiss this as nothing, just because the tide erodes some sand doesn't mean washing away an entire beach overnight is normal.

Some might think I'm too awake to everything while I see so many walking around like zombies.
I rather be awake and perhaps wrong than...... asleep and unknowing.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Orderamongchaos

Please don't confuse the folks with your common sense. End of the world is a far better thread than beach subsidence occurs again. I have lived on or near oceans most of my life and have seen this happen in many different places on a greater or lesser scale. It is a real freakin' bummer though when you have to completely change your beach plans 'cuz the beach is gone.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarsky
reply to post by Orderamongchaos

Please don't confuse the folks with your common sense. End of the world is a far better thread than beach subsidence occurs again. I have lived on or near oceans most of my life and have seen this happen in many different places on a greater or lesser scale. It is a real freakin' bummer though when you have to completely change your beach plans 'cuz the beach is gone.

You know what's gotten quite obvious to me in the past week or so?

People like you( and your buddy you're defending) who show up out of nowhere....on threads that discuss strange events..... like you're some type of cyber-hero.

No one at no point except you and your buddy has mentioned 'end of the world'
So like I started to say, it's become pretty obvious that those who mock this are the very ones who are scared of it.

Let me 'learn you something' my friend: conspiracies and strange events have been happening ever since man invented language. We just have a faster way of communicating and sharing the information now. That's all.

So, take off your cape, pull up a chair and take in the information.

edit on 8-4-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

HI Alien, Is there any fracking, or more usual mining going on near the area? Obviously something has caused this, regardless of what some are saying. Beaches by their nature take some time to accumulate, and some time to erode, and there are other well established beaches in the area with a lot of history. Are there any dams further inland that could be vunerable to a smaller 'quake, or again human inteference...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

As before I guarantee this is 100% mother nature at work and would have happened regardless of man's presence or not.Again please look at this 2002 photo and see how the sea immediately in front of the beach is MUCH deeper than anywhere else we can see......

This as already said is just an an underwater landslide triggered by unseen currents under cutting the vertical wall of sand until it was too weak to support it's own weight,all this probably took no more than about 15 seconds or so from the start of the collapse to the end of it.

But it seems I was wrong about the direction the ocean currents take along the pacific and that side of North America.It travels as shown below north to south along the Baja peninsula before it heads west and out into the Pacific again,but as currents do they stick close to the land and are stronger the closer you are to it in deep water.In this bay the current doing all the damage would be analogous to the very powerful stream of water that comes out of the back of a Jetski,it's forced down as well as up when it hits a solid or part solid obstruction.

swfsc.noaa.gov...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

HI Alien, Is there any fracking, or more usual mining going on near the area? Obviously something has caused this, regardless of what some are saying. Beaches by their nature take some time to accumulate, and some time to erode, and there are other well established beaches in the area with a lot of history. Are there any dams further inland that could be vunerable to a smaller 'quake, or again human inteference...

I've thought of that too but I don't know if the Frackers makes their fracking public knowledge. I don't even know who Fracks? Oil companies? Military? Geologists? Scientists? Seismologist? Frackerist?

I feel a rant coming on. Bear with me:

They've polluted our oceans, spray our skies and now they're in the throes of cracking the Earth.
I hope CERN turns it up to '11' (Spinal Tap fans will know) so we all get sucked through a big black man-made hole soon before it's too late!

~End Rant~

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

Do you think they put out this report of rev up revenue through tourists?
I don't put anything pass anyone anymore.

I'm not saying you're wrong only, I'm not understanding why a member of the forum (you) presumably figured this out but authorities haven't? Well, let me back track....I am assuming authorities haven't.

This story in now going into my 'why are there so many sinkholes lately' folder.

You see, I just don't know if the reporting is coming in faster (like I mentioned earlier) or............the events themselves are happening more frequently.
Such a tough conundrum.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98
reply to post by tracehd1

My First Report ARTESIA, N.M. Thousands of crackle birds invade the town. I'm not from Artesia NM But. I do live in NM, and this really got my attention. The local news is really playing this down. The news mentions thousands of crackle birds, it's more like 10,000 crackle birds. No one in Artesia NM has ever seen anything like this on such a massive scale. The birds arrived at or about the time of the 7.9 EQ in Mexico city, 1, 186 miles away. Then some guy on you tube posts some smoke plumes ( volcanic activity) from the NM Desert, on 3-24-2012 and that place is not to far from Artesia NM.

Carrizozo lavic fields — New Mexico .

Large invasion of Birds

There a video of them all over the town.

I don't know if anyone is connecting the dots to this yet.

Mexico City EQ 7.9
Massive bird invasion in Artesia NM
This guy Duch from you tube claims Volcanic activity. That place is not far from Artesia NM, where he pin points the smoke plumes too. I can vouch for duch as far as there is lava field's there. I hope that place is not becoming active because it is very black from Google earth. not like red and black as other ancient lava fields in this state, I been to a few of the Ancient fields.

edit on 8-4-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

Extremely interesting. Thank you very very much for this

Not that it helps to figure this out but it certainly adds to the mystery!!

I think alone, the birds are dying, wandering and migrating off course due to the electromagnetic field/shield that's been compromised. But why they flock to certain parts of the world is curious to say the least.

This is why I have total respect for the ancient cultures. They were fine-tuned into nature, animals and the cosmos. They had simpler lives and knew a great deal more than we can possibly ever know now.

We have very complicated lives filled with gidgets and gadgets and we expect other things (computers, radios, tests, studies etc) to shed the proverbial light for us.

I tell ya, the more technology evolves the more devolved we become.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by Imagewerx

Do you think they put out this report of rev up revenue through tourists?
I don't put anything pass anyone anymore.

I'm not saying you're wrong only, I'm not understanding why a member of the forum (you) presumably figured this out but authorities haven't? Well, let me back track....I am assuming authorities haven't.

I haven't seen a single living soul in any of the photos of that area,so no locals or certainly not enough to support a tourist industry,or to even need the tourists because there's nothing to support.
I've not figured out what ACTUALLY DID happen but have come to a conclusion on what I believe caused it to happen based on the evidence of aerial photos and a knowledge of geography and how ocean currents work.I'm sure by now the relevant authorities will have visited the area and have drawn their conclusions and know a LOT more about it than someone 5000 miles away sitting at a computer,and I'm sure this will be available for public scrutiny ASAP.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
One thing I've been meaning to say for some time is that I do find just one thing odd about all this.Our coastline is very dynamic and is constantly changing for the same reasons this happened and this sort of thing is happening somewhere around the world every minute of every day of the year.
But the coast is almost always only ever eroded away and doesn't normally get built back up again in this way in such a short period of time.From 2002 up to 2005-6 the beach has got bigger by an amount that can't be accounted for by sand naturally deposited by tides and currents.The part of the beach immediately to the north of the collapsed part which appears to be at the mouth of a long since dried up river outlet moves inwards in the same period,so I'd guess maybe the locals have moved sand from that part of the beach to replace the sand in the section that collapsed previously.

Or maybe.................the beach has always been like that (well not exactly always but for a long time) and they've tried to artificially increase the size of the beach to entice more visitors by moving sand there from further up the beach.Because they don't fully understand the principles behind what they're attempting to do,the newly deposited sand will be less densely compacted than if it had arrived there naturally and so are a lot more likely to collapse once the unseen currents have again undercut it once more.

So yes maybe there is a conspiracy here after all and all this happened because it was caused by the hand of man and not mother nature?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98
reply to post by tracehd1

My First Report ARTESIA, N.M. Thousands of crackle birds invade the town. I'm not from Artesia NM But. I do live in NM, and this really got my attention. The local news is really playing this down. The news mentions thousands of crackle birds, it's more like 10,000 crackle birds. No one in Artesia NM has ever seen anything like this on such a massive scale. The birds arrived at or about the time of the 7.9 EQ in Mexico city, 1, 186 miles away. Then some guy on you tube posts some smoke plumes ( volcanic activity) from the NM Desert, on 3-24-2012 and that place is not to far from Artesia NM.

edit on 8-4-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

Uh...the birds are "grackles",... not "crackles".

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not at all unusual for birds and animals to be on the move in conjunction with earthquakes, and these birds tend to move in huge masses. we get them every Spring and Fall here in the Midwest.

Obviously, they are moving out of their winter homes in Mexico and beatin' it up north.

What is unusual is that they would head into New Mex, instead of taking their usual route uop through the Mississippi valley. Now where was the New Madrid again...?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
One thing I've been meaning to say for some time is that I do find just one thing odd about all this. Our coastline is very dynamic and is constantly changing for the same reasons this happened and this sort of thing is happening somewhere around the world every minute of every day of the year.
But the coast is almost always only ever eroded away and doesn't normally get built back up again in this way in such a short period of time.From 2002 up to 2005-6 the beach has got bigger by an amount that can't be accounted for by sand naturally deposited by tides and currents.The part of the beach immediately to the north of the collapsed part which appears to be at the mouth of a long since dried up river outlet moves inwards in the same period,so I'd guess maybe the locals have moved sand from that part of the beach to replace the sand in the section that collapsed previously.

Or maybe.................the beach has always been like that (well not exactly always but for a long time) and they've tried to artificially increase the size of the beach to entice more visitors by moving sand there from further up the beach.Because they don't fully understand the principles behind what they're attempting to do,the newly deposited sand will be less densely compacted than if it had arrived there naturally and so are a lot more likely to collapse once the unseen currents have again undercut it once more.

So yes maybe there is a conspiracy here after all and all this happened because it was caused by the hand of man and not mother nature?

Neat pics. I sure do love it when the earth scares people by moving around. Thanks for posting.

One thing about the internet is that a person can tell millions of complete strangers that they are completely clueless. The good thing is that someone can come along and alleviate that ignorance, if the OP is just willing to learn.

Unfortunately, there is a down side, and that is ego. I'm amazed at how people will cling to their ignorance for no other reason than they refuse to learn. Thats pretty sad, but people on the periphery do have the opportunity to learn.

The OP of this thread is clearly clueless, and the above respondent is equally so. You guys should have taken some geology classes. But since you didn't, I'll give you a hand. I've been in the business of erosion control for more than 30 years. Beaches are big rivers of sand. Sand is the end result of erosion from the highlands, and is continuously replenished. They move along the coasts until they fall off into deeper water. This has been happening ever since dry land rose above the waves.

The phenomenon in this OP is in no way unusual. It happens all the time. The fact that locals say they don't remember it happening this quickly before is probably completely at odds with the facts, since eye witnesses are the worst possible sources of this kind of information.

This is a fairly remote location, and there may not have even been anyone paying attention to this area the last time it happened.

I could spend days providing links to eyewitness testimony that is clearly at odds with the facts, but it's not really worth it to me. However, I'll pick just one. Here in Indiana, we had a very warm winter. During the week of the Super Bowl (we hosted this year), people were talking about how we have never had this kind of winter. I knew this wasn't true (I work outside, obviously), and simply looked at the weather records and saw that we had experienced even warmer temps on those dates just about 10 years before, but no one remembered that being the case.

People have short memories.

Now, anyone who has seen beach erosion, can testify to this happening in a very short amount of time, sometimes instantly, and when it does, it causes quite a disturbance in the water, which results in a pretty loud "boom".

Now, you can get your little panties in a wad, and maybe your mom will tell you that I'm just a big meanie who is "jealous" of how really clueless you are, or you can realize that you don't really have the slightest idea of what's happening in the world outside your mom's basement, and thank those of us who have shared our knowledge and experience with you.

BTW,You should get out more...

Either way, it wont make a bit of difference to me. I've moved on to something interesting.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stillwind

Is that me you've labelled as clueless? Although you've come on here and told us you're an expert you still haven't told us from the eyes of an erosion control expert what you think happened in this particular case in a few simple words?
Have you actually read ALL the posts in this thread,if not I reckon I get pretty close using nothing more school geography lessons?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Prediction: Major earthquake probability to hit West Coast in next large CME round.

USGS earthquake activity picking up and repeating over and over on West Coast.

Tonga the warning before. Look out around the 12th.

Scientists, place a electromagnetic sensor on the ocean floor.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join