It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church airbrushes out leader's $30K watch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There have been two opposing views or religion for quite a while now. In one, churches are a force for good, indispensible for society and individuals. In the other, they are an organization or scammers of even criminals, manipulating and preying upon naive or brainwashed individuals. I think this story is another piece of damning evidence that religions are frauds or worse.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----

Church airbrushes out leader's $30K watch from photo

The Russian Orthodox Church has caught flak for showing off its wealth, so it apparently decided to preemptively avoid some negative PR by editing out a whopping $30,000+ Breguet watch that appeared on the wrist of leader Kirill I in a photo it posted on its website. Bad move. Sharp-eyed Russian bloggers noticed the timepiece's reflection in the pic, forcing the church to apologize and leading to coverage in the NYTimes. Kirill though has told journalists he has never worn the watch and images of him with it on were in fact the ones that were doctored.

now.msn.com...
edit on 6-4-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
hahaaaa!

its clearly in the table polish reflection!

SO BUSTED!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Time is money and this mans time is worth a lot. I bet his hat isn't cheap either though. They must put a lot of work into making one of those.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
When even the Church leaders of the world lie to the public with the ease and comfort of practiced politicians, what do we have left for leadership anywhere with integrity? It would seem.....nothing. Nothing at all.

Photoshopping the picture was tacky. It really was...but not at all unusual. I think it was here I saw a side by side of a magazine cover..maybe it was at school. Anyway, the after pic came first and the brunette model was a sexy knock out. Then the pre-edit version where she had the same cottage cheese skin in area...sags and bags..and general discoloration of age that even well kept people get.

It's the gall to double down on the deception and outright lie that I find repugnant. Judgement day for some who follow the Faiths that believe in that won't be a happy place or time. It's always amusing when it's top Church leaders who seem to find no real belief in that by their daily actions.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
i would say you've been programmed to believe religion is evil. until the press actually reports all the good things people do in the name of their religion it's all one-sided. as we all know, people make good and bad choices. i believe if you took the time to observe the good you would find the scandalous media to blame for denigrating religion across the board except for approved religion...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

A guy I know said it is easier for a camel, or an antelope or wombat or something, to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich smuck to find his way into the kingdom of heaven. Lots of these religious entertainers are in it for one thing only, money. Well, maybe two things only, if women in distress are talked into some intense private counseling.

This guy should be run out of town on a rail, and his watch put on display in the lobby of the local atheist society.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

edit on 6-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
What's even worse is that the priest went on to claim that he's never worn that watch and that someone photoshopped him wearing the watch, but not before the church went and put the original photo back on the website with both the reflection and the watch on his wrist.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Who would have guessed that the watch was worth $30k? I wouldn't have paid any attention to it myself. Just looks like a watch.

But since it has been brought to my attention due to the fact they tried to hide it, how does a priest justify such gluttony while claiming to help disadvantaged people?

I really, really wish the masses would believe that evil exists, and that it always presents itself as good. If we got rid of these parasites, we would stand a really good chance of creating a better world for all.
edit on 7/4/12 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hocuspocus

I think you're missing the point. It's not about all the good things that make up for the bad. It's about being a role model and setting an example for others to follow. I believe the saying in this case is practice what you preach. A true man of God has no need for a 30k materialistic object. Whether this particular case is true or not you can't deny that greed is everywhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
it could have been a gift from a head of state, organization etc.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Airbrush=lie, in this case. As for removing wealth, just take a big digital eraser, erase the table, erase the walls, erase the urn, erase that nice uniform, because those are expensive too. Erase the man, because he looks high- maintenance. Had he been standing up, his garment would have overhung the watch. As long as he is wearing the luxury watch because it's gold and alloys chafe, and he doesn't have a storage wall full of luxury watches, that it's one of maybe 2 he has, I don't mind. If it was a gift from someone, I don't mind. He's no Jesus, but I'm not going to do the Judas thing and suggest he sell it to feed the poor, because there will always be poor. Don't do false modesty though, it's an insult.

From the headline, I thought TBN was practicing austerity. No, Orthodox.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't think much of any church with great wealth. It tells you where their priorities are.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Wait for it....

Wait for it....

All churches are evil! Theyre all the exact same because if one has done it, theyre all surely guilty, and all christians are liars and hypocrites because if one does it, they all do it

Or it could just be, that people are human and flawed, and want to make mistakes. If a banker had done this, everyone woulda been like "so what?".

People are pointing at this poor guy, he was only trying to mimic the Pope who surrounds himself with all that ill gotten gold from the Dark Ages, sits on a gold throne, takes a dump on a gold toilet, and wields a golden monstrance when blessing the golden sun disc Jesus cookie while wearing that big gaudy golden upside down crucifix. The R.C.C. did raise the bar kinda high, quit blaming the russian for trying to keep up with the Jones family.

Personally i don't wear bling, don't care about it and am not one to care about showing off my duds because...i don't have any. We're supposed to be humble, and there's no humility in priding yourself in a 30k$ gold watch and no humility in wearing a 5k$ armani suit, you get to look better than anyone else and in the end you're just as dead as they are.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They can afford a 30,000 dollar watch, but not a good photo editor. Sucks to be them.

new topics

top topics

join