It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Haunting The White House?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I was watching T.V. and happened upon a show about haunted houses, not your average shoulder mounted camera and people yelling "WHAT WAS THAT!?" type of ghost show, but a somewhat genuine "scientific" look at ghosts/spirits/apparitions. A small segment of the program was about hauntings in the White House and it really kind of caught me off guard. I had heard about the Lincoln bedroom being haunted, but they also talked about things that I had yet to be educated on. So what did I do? Enter the internet...

Human ghosts of the White House:

Dolley Madison, who planted the rose garden on the grounds, is said to be, well, protecting it:

It was during the Wilson administration when Dolley's ghost was most active. First Lady Edith Wilson wanted to have the garden removed. The workers hired to perform the task of removing the garden were never able to do their job. Dolley Madison's spirit simply wouldn't let them. The workers were distracted constantly by her angry ghost and finally fled. First Lady Edith Wilson gave up and left the garden alone.

Along with Abigail Adams, the White House's oldest ghost, who likes to stay in the east wing and apparently do her laundry:

Sometimes people can smell wet clothes and laundry soap in the East Room. She has also been seen walking to the East Room with her basket of laundry

Abraham Lincoln is also said to still be there, as well as being the most famous and recognizable:

Lincoln has been known to pace the grounds of the White House when the nation is in danger. His ghost was most active during the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. First Lady Eleanor often used the Lincoln Bedroom as her study. Late at night she would sense his presence. Prime Minister Winston Churchill saw Lincoln when he stayed at the White House. One night he emerged from his bath and found Linclon sitting by the fireplace. A young clerk from President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration claims to have seen President Lincoln sitting on his bed, putting his boots on.

President Calvin Coolige's wife, First Lady Grace, saw Lincoln's spirit standing by the window in the Oval Office, looking out with his hands clasped behind his back. Daughter of President Ronald Reagan, Maureen, claimed to have seen Lincoln's ghost several times. Tobias Johnson has been a butler since the days of the Kennedy administration has been reported saying that Lincoln's ghost is a polite and harmless one who will get your attention by tapping you lightly on your shoulder

Here is the site

Interesting right? The White House is also said to be haunted by Lincoln's son, Willie, who died there at age 11. Shortly after their child's death Abraham and his Wife decided to begin preforming seances to contact their late son. This is where my search started to get pretty interesting.

According to this site:

Although many Lincoln scholars say otherwise, it is more than possible that Abraham Lincoln didn’t just believe in the supernatural, but that he actually participated in it. Many have scoffed and said that Lincoln had no time for ghosts and spirits, but there are others who say that he actually attended séances that were held in the White House. Whether he accepted the movement or not, it is a fact that many Spiritualists were often guests there. Several of them were even said to have given him warnings about the dark shadows that hung over his life.

Maybe the Lincolns are the reason these spirits were brought here and cannot leave, having conducted seances in the White House frequently. In fact if you read the above site there is a lot of interesting text about Lincoln and his experiences with the paranormal. Proof? Not necessarily but quite the read none the less.

Non-Human Entities:
The most interesting account, in my opinion, of White House hauntings is the "Demon Cat" that is said to reside in the basement.

From the first site:

Perhaps the most creepiest ghost of all is that of a phantom cat which has been seen in the basement of the White House. From far away, the cat looks like a harmless kitten but as you get closer, the kitten gets bigger and looks more menacing. The cat makes its appearance before something devastating is about to happen to the nation. The cat has been seen before President Kennedy was assassinated and before the Stock Market crash of 1929.

Also, the show I watched mentioned that this "Demon Cat" was seen just prior to the death of F.D.R. And, according to wikipedia (...I know not the best source), Abraham Lincoln.

So, is the White House being haunted by these entities? Does Lincoln still walk the halls? We probably wont get to find out, since I highly doubt they'd let an actual paranormal team go in there. Just thought you Americans here at ATS would like a good ghost story, especially about the most famous haunted house in all the nation, our very own White House.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Monsatan,

that's hooo

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Never crossed my mind that the White House
might be haunted - but sure makes sense now.
Very interesting - thanks OP.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigfoot12714

Non-Human Entities:
The most interesting account, in my opinion, of White House hauntings is the "Demon Cat" that is said to reside in the basement.

I knew basement cat was real...

edit on 6-4-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

I knew basement cat was real...

I had never heard of it until I watched this show.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ghosts are probably ticked off at what kind of people have been running the whitehouse these past few decades.. I wonder if we can get Lincoln to whisper is someones ear and get his head out of his bum....
Very interesting indeed. I love haunted stories, and this one has always intrigued me. Seeing how some well know people have seen it themselves gives more credit to hauntings.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot12714

I will answer the title question of "What Is Haunting The White House?" to the best of my ability.
The answer is stupidity and fear for the longest time.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
ThIs high concentration of ghost activity is probably due in part to the upside down pentagram one can see when looking at the aerial street view of The White House itself.
That might explain why these spirits are trapped and continue to linger.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well Michelle's mama has been cutting chickens practicing Santeria on the 3rd floor trying to talk to her dead husband..., to the point that when Mr O heard of it he went ballistic,,,, no telling what she has conjured up

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Is that real? linky?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well there is this lil fellow named Obama that haunts the white house. Oh and his creepy wife and creepy kid.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I laughed on that one!

But its only on days where he isn't haunting a golf course....

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Wasn't Hillary Clinton holding seances in the the White House supposedly channeling Eleanor Roosevelt?

It's a complete freak show over there!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
reply to post by Homedawg

Is that real? linky?
It happened on the first months of this administration and the MSM has erased all mention of it...it's true enough... You may find a reference to it in some alternate media...The Blaze or some such

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

There's an infowars article about it found here:

www.infowars.com...

A google search with more results:

www.google.se...

Very interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot12714

If they want I can instal camera's and microphones everywhere to investigate the matter..

Sec.line

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
ThIs high concentration of ghost activity is probably due in part to the upside down pentagram one can see when looking at the aerial street view of The White House itself.
That might explain why these spirits are trapped and continue to linger.

Uhh so if its upside down in one direction, its right side up in another............

So how again would that "trap" anything

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
reply to post by stonebutterfly

There's an infowars article about it found here:

www.infowars.com...

A google search with more results:

www.google.se...

Very interesting stuff.
Thanks...crazy old woman living in the First Residence of our Country

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think it's haunted with guilt not ghosts!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Wasn't Hillary Clinton holding seances in the the White House supposedly channeling Eleanor Roosevelt?

It's a complete freak show over there!

It was Nancy Reagan.
She was heavily into the ab-normal.
She had a hot line to Jean Dixon and got her horoscope read weekly (maybe even daily)
Not sure about seances though.

I think Hilary was too busy casting spells on Monica Lewinsky to be concerned with the dead.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join