It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for our Conservative ATS Members...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

S+F for you. Although, didn't you know it's trolling to ask conservatives to justify their actions and make sense of their otherwise non-sensical policies? They are clearly allowed to do whatever it is they want, because their s#!t doesn't stink, and even when they are wrong they are still right because the bible or Ron Paul tells them so.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
What is so hard to figure out about this??? If you owned a business in the current environment there is too much uncertainty about what the government is going to do next. Too many questions unanswered from healthcare to taxes, that puts any reasonable businessman in a wait and see posture. The end result is companies sitting on there money, not hiring anymore people than they absolutely have too,and waiting until they have some sort of idea what will transpire in the months ahead....... Until people know the rules of the game, how can you expect them to start playing???

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Im english

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Im english

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I don't know about the corporations but I don't blame the gas companies. The government earns something like 50-65 cents per gallon in taxes and the oil companies only profit something like 7 cents.

Because of gasoline taxes paid by motorists, the government takes in far more money on a gallon of gasoline than an oil company does. How much more?

Through the combination of state and federal taxes, the government collects an average 48 cents on each gallon of gasoline sold in the United States. Gasoline taxes are far higher in some states, such as California and New York, where motorists pay about 66 cents. Taxes are even higher on diesel, which fuels commercial transportation.

By contrast, during the first three months of this year, for every gallon of gasoline and other products ExxonMobil refined and sold in the United States, we earned about 7 cents.

www.exxonmobilperspectives.com...

And I wonder if the corporation profits/unemployment things has more to do with outsourcing.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The government earns something like 50-65 cents per gallon in taxes and the oil companies only profit something like 7 cents.

I didn't know that, yikes.

I can remember back when we had factories in our town, I remember when the companies left because unions priced themselves out of work.

Some Outsourced Jobs Are Coming Back
abcnews.go.com...

I don't care if you are Republican, Democrat, progressive, conservative, liberal, or a toad, eventually we will all suffer, and are suffering, because we don't have representatives that will put Americas first.

I don't know if that beast exist.

That’s why we’re cheering Rep. Tim Bishop (D-NY) and his new bill H.R. 3596, The United States Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act. Not only does the bill keep taxpayer-funded loans and grants from going to companies who outsource call center jobs, it would also require those companies to report their outsourcing in advance to the Department of Labor.

Now they have,“sub-outsource”

www.workingamerica.org...

They can't tax us if we don't have jobs.

edit on 093030p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

You could have saved us all some time, your last sentance says it all. You HATE all republicans. You say greed drives all republicans, well I say jelousy drives all Liberal democrats. You want some money...Go out and make it. Y'all talk about 10% owning 80% of the wealth in this country like there is some upper limit to the amount of wealth possible. Wealth has to be generated. It does not just happen. Go out, create yourself some wealth, quit blaming others for YOUR predictiment, enjoy life and above all shut up

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You are comparing apples to oranges, i.e. You are comparing the employment rate of "one" company to that of a whole economy. If you look at the employment rate of the sectors you site (oil companies) you will find that in those companies , employment IS going up.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jiggy Potamus

One more thing if I may Jiggy... What do you suppose the real minimum wage is? How about 0.00 an hour. You know nobody actually owes you a job. The minimum wage is the Govt. sticking it's nose, again where it doesn't belong. I'll set my own minimum wage at whatever I can get when I need it. I will work, I said WORK for food and not just stand on a streetcorner with my hand out. Ronald Reagan said it best...something like "The best social program is a job". A job entails more than just a paycheck. It gives one respect for the paycheck, respect for what it took to gain the paycheck, and respect for yourself AND others. I can respect that.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Please accept my apoligies for the "shut up". You are appreciated, we just see things differently I guess

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

"I need some Republicans to explain to me how they juxtapose these scenarios: First, Corporate profits has risen to a fifty-yr all time high, while unemployment remain fairly high. Second, Oil companies are making record profit, while gas prices is at its highest.

Corporate profits are high due to overseas expenditure. Unemployment is high because of lack of confidence in the workplace, a recession, inflation, the looming spectre of Obamacare.

Oil companies? What profits? Can you show me a chart or something that shows that after drilling, licensure, payments/fees to the government, they have a profit?

Now, my question to the Republicans are: 1. If their arguments and economic philosophy that more corporate profits equals more jobs were true, shouldn't unemployment be at its lowest, considering the record profits corporations are making?

If it were true that corporate profit equaled low unemployment then we'd have low unemployment.
But it isn't true.
More companies are leaving the states because of lower tax rates. Talk to the government if you want companies to come back.

2. Why should Americans continue the tax break for oil companies, when the more profits they make, the higher our gas prices?

Who backs the oil companies? Are you talking about the subsidies that Obama wants to cut? Wouldn't that also raise gas prices?
I thought that's what Obama and the progressives want, anyway.

You should be rejoycing.

3. Aftermath of the above facts, who is the Republicans actually working for, the people or Corporations and the wealthy 1%?"
Source

They should be working for themselves. They should be working for their individual gain and growth.

My questions.
Why lump conservative and republican together?
I see you have issues with "corporations" yet give the government a pass. Why?

edit on 7-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

While I don't claim to be a Republican or Conservative as people like to label them, I do hold specific values that could fall into either of those categories.

I think there's some large misunderstandings about the situation you're referring to here...

Corporate profits are not just profits for a few.

This is not true. Corporate profits ARE just for the few, that is why they are called "share"-holders. They own a share of the business, not you and the rest of the American public. That is why THEY are entitled to dividends and profits, not us. If you want a piece of that profit, then you need to invest. It isn't that they are keeping their profits and money, it's that for most corporations, there are less investors (people are broke), and therefore, less shareholders, which in turn means less money being paid out. Even though profits are high for oil corporations, that does not translate to them "holding out" on everyone. Obamacare means that they aren't as willing to waste money on R&D and expand the business since there is a lot of uncertainty, so that does effect employment, but not dividends. Shareholders get paid, period.

Corporations in this country cannot compete in the world market because we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. When corporations pay the highest tax, they have to go to the lowest labor market. Ie, China and Mexico. Corporations are making jobs everywhere but here. It's just that people want to start entry level jobs at 50K a year without any experience or education. Have you seen why American jobs are going overseas? It is because our blue collar workers can't spell, write, or even do basic math which is important in todays industries.

This is also not entirely true and you should back this up with some source of information to show proof of the claim. America has some of the most intelligent people in the world, in fact, it's one of the few assets we have left. Not everyone wants to start jobs at 50K a year because they feel entitled to, but because they can't survive in the economy today for less, regardless of education. The corporations go overseas for a simple reason - MORE MONEY. The most basic premise of a business is to lower costs, increase profits and revenues and reduce the bottom line. The people who run these corporations don't care HOW they do it, but they are required to as part of their job. Tax rates are a problem, yes, but not the sole cause of companies going outside of the US. They go outside because it costs them less, and therefore, they can increase profits, which is the goal. The tax rate could be 90% and they would still do business here if it was more profitable in other ways. Not EVERY corporation behaves this way, but most do. Don't forget, there are still a LOT of businesses that come here from outside of America to do business here, so what is their reasoning if they can have lower labor costs and lower taxes elsewhere?

The rest of your post is pretty accurate, but I think the bigger point is being missed....

The real uncertainty and economic problems are because of inflation and deflation. That is why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and it's controlled by bankers, not the corporations which are mostly at the mercy of the banks themselves. Where do corporations borrow money from? Where do their profits go at the end of the day? Where does Wal-Mart and Chevron PUT their money? That's right... in a BANK!

So if I'm the bank (hypothetically)... today, I charge you $1.00 for a gallon of gas for every $100 billion dollars in circulation. At the end of the day, Chevron is giving me (the bank) all of their dollars where people are paying $1.00 a gallon. As the bank, I print more money... so now, instead of there being $100 billion in circulation, there is $300 billion. What does that do to the dollars you are holding? Simple economics... there are MORE of them, therefore, your dollar is less "rare" and worth less because more dollars are easier to find. Now gas is $3.00 a gallon, even though the supply and demand of gas has not changed. At the end of the day, Chevron is now giving me (the bank) 3 times the number of dollars then just a few days before. As the bank, I stop printing money, and start keeping the money out of circulation, AFTER I've collected 3 times the dollars. With less dollars in circulation, the dollars become worth MORE again, so with less in circulation, gas goes back to $1.00 a gallon. But guess what... I've taken 3 times the dollars for the same exact thing that I was selling you a few days ago, and now I am holding dollars that are worth MORE AND I HAVE MORE OF THEM!!!

See how that works? That's the real problem... fix that, and everything else will fall into place. Until then, we are being played just as bad as the corporations.

Just my $.02.

~Namaste
edit on 7-4-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

"I need some Republicans to explain to me how they juxtapose these scenarios: First, Corporate profits has risen to a fifty-yr all time high, while unemployment remain fairly high. Second, Oil companies are making record profit, while gas prices is at its highest.

Now, my question to the Republicans are: 1. If their arguments and economic philosophy that more corporate profits equals more jobs were true, shouldn't unemployment be at its lowest, considering the record profits corporations are making? 2. Why should Americans continue the tax break for oil companies, when the more profits they make, the higher our gas prices? 3. Aftermath of the above facts, who is the Republicans actually working for, the people or Corporations and the wealthy 1%?"

Excellent post! I’m glad I have an opportunity to weigh in on this topic. Allow me to take a stab at it…

1) This chart shows that you are correct about rising profits:

However, The argument is not “more profits equals more jobs.” The argument true conservatives make is “less overbearing regulation and less taxation equals more jobs.” A company being profitable is a good thing not something to be mad about. Smaller business owners are putting away money right now because we don’t know what the future will hold. It’s nearly impossible for businesses to get loans for anything right now and with all the uncertainty and volatility in the market businesses are holding back on growth and job creation. It’s tough to make the call to drop a lot of your own money on expanding your business during such uncertain times.

During the period of 2000-2010, virtually no jobs were created yet this is the period where profits began to increase the most.

I think what we’re seeing is a reflection of crony capitalism under Bush and Obama as well as extreme market volatility and NOT a reflection of conservative economic policy. If it was merely conservative policy then explain the spike under Obama…

The economy flourished in the 80’s under Reagnomics (conservative policies). The most striking difference between the 80’s and the previous decade (2000-2010) is the level of corruption within our government and the unethical ties to big business that have been formed. We are witnessing the effects of Crony Capitalism….not true capitalism which does work. By the way BUSH IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE…HE IS A CRONY CAPITALIST AND A NEO-CON.

2) False Premise – The fact is that true conservatives don’t believe any for-profit business should be subsidized. The government shouldn’t have the power to pick winners and losers. The free market should dictate success not crony capitalists.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

the fact that when people answer this question they either don't have any real answers or they have to answer with what seems to be pages of information tells me that the issue is so freakishly convoluted. why are there "factions" within our government? conservative vs. liberal is really man vs. man. we should all just get together, forget about our labels and vote according to what we feel is right and what we feel is wrong. if we could just do that, maybe something good would get done. when we decide on agendas is when we have political wars. i'm tired of conservative bashing. i'm tired of liberal bashing. i'm tired of people attaching themselves to agendas for which they only agree with one or two ideals and is willing to adhere to this group just to "win" even though they know when there are parts of the group that go against the person's personal ideals. if every person were to become their own political party, then all the different types of people would be represented in our government. people need to actually participate in government in order to make sure all people's needs and rights are represented. rallying behind a faction or political party that has a loud voice and large base is not going to get your agenda recognized. if we don't participate in our own government we will just have to deal with what the "liberals" are trying to do to us or what the "conservatives" are trying to do to us.

sorry if this is a little off topic

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

the fact that when people answer this question they either don't have any real answers or they have to answer with what seems to be pages of information tells me that the issue is so freakishly convoluted.

A few of us ‘conservatives’ have given real answers.

If it’s too difficult to read the responses and learn the true answer then that’s not my fault. These are complicated issues that can’t be answered with pithy one-liners.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

yes a few have given real answers, i don't begrudge you that. you are one of the more thoughtful people i've come across here. but these things shouldn't be so complicated. it's when things become so complicated and when "the people" can't affect change is when you realize something is very wrong.

i admit i am guilty of "pithy one-liners" but that's just me. i don't live in arizona, but i sure hope i didn't offend anyone.

i don't believe things are so cut and dry all the time, but there is something to be said about simplicity, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

yes a few have given real answers, i don't begrudge you that. you are one of the more thoughtful people i've come across here. but these things shouldn't be so complicated. it's when things become so complicated and when "the people" can't affect change is when you realize something is very wrong.

It is complicated though. Ideology isn’t exatly black and white and I’m not a single-issue voter, so I have to explore a candidate’s position on many issues before I cast a vote.

People are complicated therefore politics can be complicated (at least making an INFORMED decision can be complicated).

i admit i am guilty of "pithy one-liners" but that's just me. i don't live in arizona, but i sure hope i didn't offend anyone.

Well I wasn’t implying that you did but you seemed to be asking for a simple cut and dry answer to the OP’s questions. Unfortunately there isn’t one.

i don't believe things are so cut and dry all the time, but there is something to be said about simplicity, don't you think?

Yes, and the better a person fully understands an issue the simpler it becomes to give an answer. I could have made a shorter response but I was trying to fully explain my reasoning, that’s all (and I have time to kill
).

Peace!!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I read this on faceborg earlier today, and I wanted to ask these very questions of our always vocal Conservative Republican members:

Now, my question to the Republicans are: 1. If their arguments and economic philosophy that more corporate profits equals more jobs were true, shouldn't unemployment be at its lowest, considering the record profits corporations are making? 2. Why should Americans continue the tax break for oil companies, when the more profits they make, the higher our gas prices? 3. Aftermath of the above facts, who is the Republicans actually working for, the people or Corporations and the wealthy 1%?"
Source

First of all, you can't trust all of the numbers you read today. They say oil companies are making record profits, but statistics show that the percentage of profit is really between 6% - 7%, it just sounds huge because articles translate it to billions of dollars instead of percentages.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if corporations weren't making record profits either. If the Federal Reserve is propping up banks and the stock market, rest assured they're probably propping up large corporations too, in order to create this fake economic recovery that we keep hearing about. God only knows how many more trillions in loans went out from the Fed that we DIDN'T hear about (not including the $26 Trillion that we do know of).

Here's a report from the American Petroleum Industry, there is some good information to know about the oil industry income, expenses, etc...

Were any of you aware of the fact that 69.5% of oil industries stocks are owned by pension funds (the largest percentage), IRA's and Asset Management Companies? Only 2.8% is held by Corporate Management of the oil companies. It sounds like a lot of state and public pension plans are invested in oil.

www.api.org...

By the way, did you hear how much doing away with the oil subsidies would bring in? I think I read that it would bring in a whopping $2 - $5 Billion per year. Really? What's that when you're overspending by $1.5 TRILLION per year and $125 Billion of that is just in improper payments and errors made from an incompetent government?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

High corporate profits.
High unemployment.
High oil profits.
High price of gas.

You are griping about Republicans yet a Repuplican isn't even in the White House.
That familiar Fear by smear tactic is getting old

Don't you get it?

He is saying this is the business climate which is supposed to create jobs
(if you take conservative ideology and talking points seriously)
But even though the JOB CREATORS are doing well, they are not hiring
or creating anything. So it brings into question the validity of conservative
beliefs in regards to the JOB CREATORS trickling down prosperity on everyone.
edit on 7-4-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If you have a retirement fund, 401K or any other type of retirement account, find out where it is invested. It will be invested in various corporations around the country and some in the world.

As far as our population being illiterate, I used the following, which was recently updated somewhere I can't find right now but the figures were the same for the entire U.S. Source

Before Steve Jobs died, he said America would never get Apple back. China had us beat hands down. Not just for the low labor but because they can put new products together almost overnight. This is something we can no longer do.
edit on 7-4-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join