It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Scott Walker repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Gov. Scott Walker repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay law
By David Ferguson
Friday, April 6, 2012 14:28 EDT -- The Raw Story

Well Governor Walker seems to be stepping on necks with this one.

Aside from getting many Wisconsin people mad, he appears to be stepping on Obama's neck too !!

With little fanfare, union-busting Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) yesterday signed a repeal of Wisconsin’s equal pay act, which gave people who discover they’ve been discriminated against more time to file suit and the right to do so outside of federal courts.

The Equal Pay Enforcement Act was passed in 2009 and gave workers avenues to pursue complaints about pay discrimination in the workplace and press charges where necessary. The law conferred upon workers the ability to pursue their cases in circuit court rather than the federal court system, which is costlier and less accessible to average citizens. It also expanded the window in which complainants are allowed to file their complaints relative to the time when they worked under discriminatory conditions.

Much like the federal law, known as the Ledbetter Act (which President Obama signed as one of his first acts of office), the Wisconsin law was spurred by the case of Lilly Ledbetter, who suffered decades of pay discrimination without her knowledge. After she sued her employer, Goodyear, and won, the Supreme Court threw out the case because she didn’t file shortly after the discrimination began — when she didn’t know it was happening.

Lots of legal wrangling and skirmishing lately...

all over the country.

The Republican dominated state Senate passed SB 202 in November of 2011, which repealed the Equal Pay Enforcement Act, followed by the State Assembly in February. Both votes passed along party lines in the currently Republican-led state bodies.

The governor quietly signed the bill into law ahead of its 5 p.m. Thursday deadline. The law is known as Act 219.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Why does Scott Walker hate working people?

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

By all accounts he doesn't hate working people. He certainly hates unions (because he's a sane, rational person), but not workers. But I don't get why he's repealing this. I don't believe all workers are equal, because they aren't, so therefore all workers shouldn't get the same pay. This gave workers a bit of a discount on going to court, since federal court costs big $$$. Kind of a bone-headed move.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Completely agree about the sane part... If I had to guess the wording of the bill sounds like businesses can be tied up in litigation from people accusing them of pay discrimination. Due process and redress is one thing... Creating legislation that has whats essentially an "I win" button for people who go after businesses seems to me like a bad idea.

If group A turns down the employees complaint they go to group B and if they turn it down they go to subcommittee F etc.

I get the point of unions and why they exist.. I just dont understand the mentality of forcing wages to be so high the business (or school) doesnt have the money to reinvest in their infrastructure / buildings / training and teachers.

I bring schools up because it sounds like this repeal and the union fiasco from last year are linked.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

By all accounts he doesn't hate working people. He certainly hates unions (because he's a sane, rational person), but not workers. But I don't get why he's repealing this. I don't believe all workers are equal, because they aren't, so therefore all workers shouldn't get the same pay. This gave workers a bit of a discount on going to court, since federal court costs big $$$. Kind of a bone-headed move.

/TOA

American won the industrial revolution due to unions...

Maybe historians will find that the decline of Americans also paces the decline of unions.

edit on 7-4-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives

/TOA

Maybe historians will find that the decline of Americans also paces the decline of unions.

I don't really have anything against private unions. I think they're ridiculously anti-business, and they drive wages up all out of proportion to the work performed, but if a business wants to get involved in a union, go for it.

Public unions, however, are a terrible monster that must be squashed like a bug. Even the progressive God, FDR, warned against them. That's like Satan backing off of something because even he thinks it's a bad thing to be involved in.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

/TOA

I don't really have anything against private unions. I think they're ridiculously anti-business, and they drive wages up all out of proportion to the work performed, but if a business wants to get involved in a union, go for it.

/TOA

Well I think some businesses are ridiculously anti humanity; who drive wages down, eliminate
the quality of life, ruin the American economy, middle class and slowly turn life all over the globe
into a chain-less prison sentence.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Well I think some businesses are ridiculously anti humanity; who drive wages down, eliminate
the quality of life, ruin the American economy, middle class and slowly turn life all over the globe

Some are, I know. And it's horrible because none of them should be. But ALL unions are ridiculously anti-humanity, who falsely drive wages up, eliminate anyone even wanting to perform above their level or get ahead on their own in life, ruin the world economy and Middle Class and turn life all over the globe into mindless drones that can't think for themselves.

/TOA
edit on 7-4-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This certainly isn't going to help the GOP get rid of the gender gap.

You can't claim there isn't a war on women when things like this are done.
edit on 7-4-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Some are, I know. And it's horrible because none of them should be. But ALL corporations are ridiculously anti-humanity, who falsely drive wages down, eliminate anyone even wanting to perform at their level or get ahead with their own life, ruin the world economy and middle class and turn life all over the globe into mindless drones who can't think or work for themselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Some are, I know. And it's horrible because none of them should be. But ALL unions are ridiculously anti-humanity, who falsely drive wages up, eliminate anyone even wanting to perform above their level or get ahead on their own in life, ruin the world economy and Middle Class and turn life all over the globe into mindless drones that can't think for themselves.

/TOA

I do not see how it is egregious or inhumane for workers to organize and negotiate better things for
themselves. I think your perspective is very extreme...
You can be certain that the company bosses and management engage in organization and negotiation
all the time.

I am also not sure how you can say unions have ruined the world economy... Unions not
ruin the economy, that is hyperbole.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Some are, I know. And it's horrible because none of them should be. But ALL corporations are ridiculously anti-humanity, who falsely drive wages down, eliminate anyone even wanting to perform at their level or get ahead with their own life, ruin the world economy and middle class and turn life all over the globe into mindless drones who can't think or work for themselves.

I know, man. That comic shop down the road that incorporated about 10 years ago seems pretty evil. And that guy that works at that new Chinese restaurant? TOTALLY killing their employees! Yep, ALL corporations are evil and must be destroyed!

Unions, on the other hand, have proven kollective track record of deceit, economically regressive policies, and driving away businesses.

But whatever keeps you warm and cozy at night.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

/TOA

I do not see how it is egregious or inhumane for workers to organize and negotiate better things for
themselves. I think your perspective is very extreme...
You can be certain that the company bosses and management engage in organization and negotiation
all the time.

I am also not sure how you can say unions have ruined the world economy... Unions not
ruin the economy, that is hyperbole.

I say it almost exactly the same way you say businesses ruin the American economy: I say it vacuously.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Have you seen how union workers work? Do you know how hard it is to fire a person in a union, b/c they are a crap employee? Using you logic all people should be employed by unions. Do you want your car falling apart when you drive? Do you want your vegies to have bacteria on them? Union folks don't care b/c they get paid the same, b/c they know they won't be fired. Some unions are good, however most are just cultivate a employment force of crap.

Wu.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
To each is given according to the value of their contribution. This should be color-blind, blind to gender, blind to age, blind to religious standing, sexual orientation, country of origin, etc. To pay someone more, or less, just because they are a woman, or a man, a black or a white, whatever, is destructively parasitic upon advancement for the company as a team, the harder worker to continue that thirst, offering zero incentive to the lesser worker to improve.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wuforde
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Have you seen how union workers work? Do you know how hard it is to fire a person in a union, b/c they are a crap employee? Using you logic all people should be employed by unions. Do you want your car falling apart when you drive? Do you want your vegies to have bacteria on them? Union folks don't care b/c they get paid the same, b/c they know they won't be fired. Some unions are good, however most are just cultivate a employment force of crap.

Wu.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here, I do not automatically
think a worker is crap or uncaring because they are in a union. While you seem to
think that they are which is your prejudice. American Unions built some of the most high
quality items in the history of mankind IMO. Everything from Cars, guitars to Vacuum tubes, built
by unions are still sought after due to their quality. Now that unions have been crushed by
corporatists and Conservatives America does produce crap, that is the irony.

America won the II world War thanks to unions workers and their dedication to this country.
Back when a single person could support a family and children could have their parents
around.

I'm gonna stop there...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

America won the II world War thanks to unions workers and their dedication to this country.
Back when a single person could support a family and children could have their parents
around.

I'm gonna stop there...

WHAT?! America helped win WWII with soldiers and firepower. Man, not only did you drink the Kool-Aid, you're drowning in it.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Those planes and ships just built themselves! We had them in reserve all along. You're absolutely right, nothing to do with 30% of the population being unionized during the war.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Republican Governor Scott Walker Eliminates Wisconsin Equal Pay Law

With a stroke of his pen on Thursday, ultra-conservative Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker quietly eliminated the state’s equal pay law that allows women and others who feel discriminated against to file charges in state and local courts.

The Republican controlled Senate and House both voted to repeal the law. The Senate voted to repeal it in November of 2011, while the House voted for repeal in February of this year. Because of this, women in Wisconsin can be discriminated against without their knowledge and be paid less by their employers.

All part of the Koch-backed GOP continuing war on women, between legislating government control of women's health care to keeping them in their place as second-class citizens (we certainly don't want to pay them as equals, now do we?), the Republicans have once again demonstrated their goal of creating the ultimate patriarchal society, their version of a "daddy state", where the men, and only the men, set the rules.

If it seems like Walker, Santorum, Romney, et. al. are dancing to the same puppet-master, it doesn't take a hard look to find it. The "Santorum Strategy" (George Lakoff) helps shed some light on it.

To the ladies of Wisconsin, good luck trying to claw your way back up to the status of equals in the workplace. Looks like when the corporations bought and paid for Gov. Walker, they got their money's worth.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

around.

I'm gonna stop there...

WHAT?! America helped win WWII with soldiers and firepower. Man, not only did you drink the Kool-Aid, you're drowning in it.

/TOA

Who do you think supplied the vehicles, guns, bombs, transports, steel, canteens, MRU's???
And who's tax money funded all that to be built, who worked around the clock to make sure
our boys had the means to take down that scum Hitler? Who do you think helped are the Brits?
See above... Thanks

braindeadconservatives

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join