It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you define Quality with out going crazy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I use to sit and think about what is Quality.... do quality work they say, read quality material they told, be a quality citizen they demanded....

What the hell is quality... its almost one of those words that has no real definition because it changes with the culture.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

I know what you are getting at, quality is technically just another "subjective" description. Quality, of course, would mean a degree of excellence but to whose degree are we judging from? I used to think about these subjective definitions all the time. The concept of duality as described in studying Taoism got me thinking about it. Good/bad? Whose good/bad? My good/bad isn't the same as your good/bad.

However... sometimes you just have to swallow your insight.

You've taken the red pill and you have seen the lies of words; they are just a means to an end, and that's good that you are aware. However, if you want to flow with the rest of society (no matter how backwards they may be) you have to perceive from your "blue pull" brain.

Yes, "quality" is subjective, but it is unanimously subjective. It still isn't objective, but it is generally agreed on, regardless of it being right. Call it an argumentum ad populum if you want, but that's all life is any way.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
My children are quality made from quality, and we spend much quality time together.

That wasn't so hard, but i am a little crazy

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
When trying to define quality for clients, I use the following definition.

A product or service has various attributes like cost, availability, durability, speed and so forth. A consumer of that product or service has expectations of some or all of the attributes. When evaluating how the various attributes meet their expectations, or don't, then create a decision as to the "quality" of the product. In other words quality is a subjective interpretation of how well the products attributes meet their expectations.

For example, if I take my 17 year old son out for lunch, the quality factors to me are the how good the food is -- tasty, fresh and the like. His quality factor is "pound of food per dollar". I would say "Colly's Bistro is a good quality restaurant, the food is delicious" while he would say "McDonald's is good quality because look how much food you get."

One of the things every business has to learn is to understand that their customers buy from them based on the their own definitions of quality, not the business's -- which means that you have to make the effort to find out what quality means to your customers.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
I use to sit and think about what is Quality.... do quality work they say, read quality material they told, be a quality citizen they demanded....

What the hell is quality... its almost one of those words that has no real definition because it changes with the culture.

Hi doa,
1-yes
This may be a thread killer but I hope not.
"(Quality) like beauty is in the EYES of the beholder"
thank ya, thank ya, vary much
the best with the thread ljb

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

quality is not quantity while it is the same truth, superiority from absolute superiority

quality is the fact of absolute superiority perspective, so quality is superior to absolute superiority
quantity is the fact of absolute superiority effects, so quantity is the absolute superiority fact, so also as a positive fact quantity is superior to absolute superiority

both belongs to existence value, positive absolute superiority, like what is always superior is existing, in terms of facts value

but again, quality is not quantity, away from existence truth, quality is to absolute freedom which is beyond existence of all and any, so more true value then existing fact
that is why quality cant b relative sine its superior value belong to absolute freedom value which is beyond any and all

while existing as existence can b relative, since existence value is to freedom realities as objects so can b limited while evil oness constantly prove it

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Quality is the degree of customer satisfaction with the features of the product or services provided. This is a definition provided by the International Standards Organisation - ISO for short, in their standard ISO 9000.

It is the only definitive definition of quality there is.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So far all the responses have been very intelligent and thought out, I think maybe I'm not the only person who gets stuck on this word. I think this is something that should be taught to everyone because I don't believe that there is a real definition for it.

Being such a word that we use everyday you would think that there would be a easy answer... like 42...
however I have thought every thought that has been expressed here and yet I still get stuck.

quality is technically just another "subjective" description

I think that this response is the best. Simple and to the point, showing that there really isn't a reason to try and define the word and that we shouldn't as a culture put much into it.

My children are quality made from quality, and we spend much quality time together.

The first part leaves alot to the imagination yet you probably wouldn't suceed in living up to the bar of my imagination, the second part is once again relative to what it is you and your children enjoy doing together, whether it be reading, fighting, hunting and killing animals, growing plants or even sleeping... So as you have spoke up and made a statement you really didn't say anything that was real.

When trying to define quality for clients, I use the following definition.

Yes there does seem to be a formula that works for the majority of the population as a guideline but it seems that we must be able to bend and even break those rules to make them work in a constant.

"(Quality) like beauty is in the EYES of the beholder"

This as a defintion doesn't hold water either because quality nutrition, quality brakes for your car are more about performance, than what you percieve.

Quality is the degree of customer satisfaction with the features of the product or services provided. This is a definition provided by the International Standards Organisation - ISO for short, in their standard ISO 9000.

It is the only definitive definition of quality there is.

and of course this is a very cut and paste form of the defintion...

Now I think most people who are actually interested in understanding the world and language would understand the problem that this simple word causes...

Since quality changes due to culture and/or intelligence then we must say that quality is relative on an emotional level. Yet must take a physical aspect as well...

I'm going to bed... this subject always makes my head feel like its about to split open... I will write more about my feelings of it later.
edit on 9-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

top topics

join