It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help identify this road marker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't believe this to be a conspiracy but am looking for some info.

Today I was walking my dog and noticed This Marker on the road.

It caught my eye immediately because it was nice and shiny. I first tried to pick it up and noticed it is actually sunk into the road. I don't walk my dog that often and I don't generally look at the road when doing so but, I don't think it has been there longer than last fall.

The picture I used is actually from Google Goggles (sorry about the shadow) and it didn't return any hits. So I came in after the walk and Googled it and ATS searched it. Here are the results from Google.

Result with the best answer

Result with no answer

Result that is way over my head.

All of the rest of the results

Maybe it has to do with GPS locators or something like that? Any surveyors out there that have ever seen this kind of marker?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Just your run of the mill survey marker.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I believe it is an older type surveyor's marker.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Its a common type of survey marker used by everbody from the state to property managers. Alot of times the state sets up area markers and when some one has a question about property lines that is what the firm they hire will use as a starting point.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well that seems stupidly simple. Pardon my ignorance but, what do they survey?

E.T.A . Thank you David!
edit on 6-4-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Typically boundaries between parcels of property...tracts of land...lots...etc. (depends on the type of property)
Today they place them using GPS usually and sometimes the pin they drop will actually be in the ground (not necessarily visible without using a metal detector)

Back in the day they used to use landmarks - large boulders, trees, etc...but I'm sure you can see why that would have caused some issues as we moved into modern times and more uniform methods of surveying

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
I don't believe this to be a conspiracy but am looking for some info.

Today I was walking my dog and noticed This Marker on the road.

It caught my eye immediately because it was nice and shiny. I first tried to pick it up and noticed it is actually sunk into the road. I don't walk my dog that often and I don't generally look at the road when doing so but, I don't think it has been there longer than last fall.

The picture I used is actually from Google Goggles (sorry about the shadow) and it didn't return any hits. So I came in after the walk and Googled it and ATS searched it. Here are the results from Google.

Result with the best answer

Result with no answer

Result that is way over my head.

All of the rest of the results

Maybe it has to do with GPS locators or something like that? Any surveyors out there that have ever seen this kind of marker?

Just talked to my father who is a professional surveryor. He recognized it immediately as a survey marker. According to him, it can mark anything, like a corner of a property line.

The "nail" in the middel is called a PK nail. And the company name should be around the larger part (the company who did the survey).

Hope that helps!

edit on 6-4-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
Well that seems stupidly simple. Pardon my ignorance but, what do they survey?

E.T.A . Thank you David!
edit on 6-4-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)
the site of the next FEMA camp, The parade route for Justin Beber, The future location of the next Atlantis or South Pole or it could actually be the base you glue a quarter on to frustrate a homeless person, or me cause thats how roll. My fortune amassed one quarter at a time

edit on 6-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It could also be the mark the contracted company uses to identify their work.

I have seen similar things on foundations, in parks, and additions to buildings and houses.

But I think the Surveyor mark is most likely.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I knew if anyone would know, it would be my ATS family. Thanks guys for the loads of info. At least I know now that it isn't the x marking the spot for the next A-bomb drop.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Definitely not a nuke target marker.

Hey guys, the drop zone in Tennessee needs to be moved.

top topics

join