It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Flag Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Came across this on another site and thought I'd share.

We all know that False Flag Attacks are as old as time itself and one could imagine it being so in prehistoric times pitting villages against each other in order to gain water access, hunting grounds, women, slaves or maybe just a power grab for the sake of power.

So what exactly is a False Flag? I have a hard time believing that many don't know the meaning and/or the extent of this action these days. And yet every once in awhile, there is a post somewhere within a thread that asks this very question: "What does False Flag mean?".

Sure there are some trolls out there posing this question to rile the masses but some people asking this question are genuine IMO. Can I prove it? No. But then again, sometimes you don't have to, you just know.

Quite simply:

False flag (aka Black Flag) operations are covert operations designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by other entities. The name is derived from the military concept of flying false colors; that is: flying the flag of a country other than one’s own. False flag operations are not limited to war and counter-insurgency operations and can be used during peace-time. en.wikipedia.org...

So onto the story. Maybe nothing new to many but I'm sure at least some will be interested in a re-telling of a story about someone considered by many to be an American icon.

The story is called "False Flag Attack" or as I like to call it "How the West was REALLY won".

www.blacklistednews.com...

Paul Craig Roberts

The stagecoach bounced along the uneven trail through Indian lands. A year ago there would have been danger from Indians. But Ulysses Grant had sent General Philip Henry Sheridan, who had brought the horrors of war to Confederate civilians, to annihilate the plains Indians.

In his winter campaign of 1868-69, Sheridan attacked the Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Comanche tribes in their winter quarters, killing women and children and taking the Indians’ supplies and livestock. In Congressional testimony, Sheridan advocated the slaughter of the vast herds of bison in order to deprive Indians of food. Having turned professional hunters loose on Indian lands, Sheridan wrote: “Let them kill, skin and sell until the buffalo is exterminated.”

For his proficiency in war crimes, Sheridan was made commanding general of the U.S. Army. When the first thud of the arrows hit the stage, the passengers screamed, “Indians, we will be scalped.” Among the passengers was a grizzled, hardened man. He retrieved an arrow and noting the metal arrowhead realized that it was not an Indian arrow and that the stage was being attacked by outlaws posing as Indians.

False flag attacks are as old as history. “Bowie” Johnston had fought Indians all his life. He had more respect for them than he had for most white men. Unlike the other passengers, he understood that Indians would be blamed when whites preyed upon whites. He also understood that seized with fear, the stage driver would urge the horses onward. The rough trail would mean no accurate shooting from the coach and likely a broken axel or lost wheel. An overturned and wrecked stagecoach would be easy pickings for the outlaws.

Bowie opened the stage door and swung up on top of the coach. With his Colt at the driver’s head, he ordered the driver to stop the coach. He seized the Winchester from the guard. When the coach stopped, he commenced firing. His two shots took two of the raiders out of their saddles. The rest, realizing they were facing an experienced fighter, rode off. The stage driver and guard and the other passengers were both angry and relieved. “We thought you were with the Indians,” they exclaimed, “but you drove them off!”

“They weren’t Indians,” Bowie replied. Those were outlaws after the payroll, knowing that they would be home clear with the robbery blamed on Indians.” One of the self-important passengers ejaculated, “Why are you shielding those murdering savages. We know it was Indians. Look at all the arrows.” “Mister,” replied Bowie, “I have been fighting Indians all my life. Look at this arrow. The feathers are not representative of any tribe. The arrowhead is metal. Indians have flint arrowheads. No Indian nation has a foundry or blacksmith.

Come with me. Let’s go look at the two I killed.” Reluctantly, the passengers accompanied Bowie, who wiped the war paint and grease from the dead men’s faces. A uniform gasp was emitted from the driver, guard, and passengers. All could see that a false flag attack had been perpetrated upon the stagecoach.

Bowie told his now attentive audience, ” this attack was intended to bring retribution upon demonized Indians. Innocent Indians would have been massacred while white men rode away with the money. Bowie removed the arrows from the stagecoach and put the metal tips into his pocket. We will take the bodies with us as evidence against further depredations against the Indians.

Bowie contemplated his life. He had been a man ever since a plains grizzly had struck down his horse and ripped him and his saddle off his horse’s back. Faced with a massive killing machine, the 185 pound man armed with a bowie knife felt small indeed. Bowie had been able to inflict enough wounds that the grizzly abandoned the attack. Bowie’s steadfastness had saved his life, and now it had saved the lives of the stage passengers.

Where did this steadfastness originate? Why hadn’t Bowie screamed, “we will be scalped!” Experience. Bowie had experience. He knew.

Peace

edit on 6-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I did not consider older FF operations. Maybe in the Indians case it would be called FFFF, False Flag Followed by Firewater. Your post made me think of the timeless playbook on warfare, Sun Tzu The Art Of War, and I wondered if FF notions were mentioned.

All warfare is based on deception.

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

classics.mit.edu...(An interesting list btw)

Thanks for a clarifying attempt,
spec

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Brilliant!!
i am glad someone cleared up the false flag trolls/un-educated posts of ats
the story is sad but true
its easy to demonise someone who attacked you by generalizing them with the real threats out there
in fact that story would make a good western...
*phones speilberg with new movie idea*
i called dibs...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I didn't know that story about Bowie, thanks for sharing it.

Speaking of Native Americans, most people don't know that our government paid white hunters to go out and slaughter the buffalo en masse to starve them out. It wasn't just hunters running around for the fun of killing large game, they were paid well for the pelts ($3 per buffalo pelt) and .25 cents for each buffalo tongue.

The rest of the buffalo was left to rot on the open plains, which made the Indians angry and caused sporadic attacks against the white man.

"Let them kill, skin, and sell until the buffalo is exterminated, as it is the only way to bring lasting peace and allow civilization to advance." - General Philip Sheridan

www.legendsofamerica.com...

Besides the legendary false flag, there was also provocation.....just like today.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I was reading the Bowie story. Is that why it's a Bowie knife?

They were fake Indians, huh... That makes me think about the Boston Tea Party

Were they actually trying to get the British to think they were Indians too??

By the Way I pulled my first false flag when I was about 7. My little sister ripped up my picture I spent forever drawing and coloring, so I was mad. I then stole my moms chocolate ate it and put the wrappers in my sisters room. She got in trouble and I got chocolate.

edit on 4/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

excellent thread start, a fair and truthful point made on false flags/black flags. This should ruffle a few feathers, but this also is truth, you are masking the threat of a false flag with the treyvon martin issue, ha ha, i got ya, but nice try and you do have a point, maybe the false flag your on about is the coming race war of the U.S, that many people and authors have written about in the past.

maybe racism would not exist if law did not make exceptions in law based upon colour,culture, population volume or religion, and instead the law was answerable to all who reside within the territories of that country, that is what i call equality, i live in the UK and our equality act covers pretty much everyone so long as your not white and average, in other words our own law breeds hate, not the people residing within it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
And who threw the tea in to Boston Harbor?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by jude11

I was reading the Bowie story. Is that why it's a Bowie knife?

They were fake Indians, huh... That makes me think about the Boston Tea Party

Were they actually trying to get the British to think they were Indians too??

By the Way I pulled my first false flag when I was about 7. My little sister ripped up my picture I spent forever drawing and coloring, so I was mad. I then stole my moms chocolate ate it and put the wrappers in my sisters room. She got in trouble and I got chocolate.

edit on 4/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

Origin of the Bowie Knife:
en.wikipedia.org...

A Bowie knife (pronounced play /ˈboʊ.iː/ BOH-ee[1][2][3] or play /ˈbuːiː/ BOO-ee[3]) is a pattern of fixed-blade fighting knife first popularized by Colonel James "Jim" Bowie in the early 19th Century. Since the first incarnation was created by James Black, the Bowie knife has come to incorporate several recognizable and characteristic design features, although its common use refers to any large sheath knife with a crossguard and a clip point.[4]

The "Jim Bowie knife" first became famous due to Bowie's use of a large knife at a duel known as the Sandbar Fight. The knife pattern is still popular with collectors; in addition to various knife manufacturing companies there are hundreds of custom knife makers producing Bowies and variations.

And yes, we all have a little false flag story in us from when we were young don't we?

Hope you enjoyed your spoils of war. (Chocolate)

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
One famous "false flag" was actually in writing !!

Although it really never happened (so they say)

Operation Northwoods was a series of false-flag proposals that originated in 1962 within the United States government, and which the Kennedy administration rejected. [2] The proposals called for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), or other operatives, to commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities and elsewhere. These acts of terrorism were to be blamed on Cuba in order to create public support for a war against that nation, which had recently become communist under Fidel Castro.[3] One part of Operation Northwoods was to "develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington."

Operation Northwoods proposals included hijackings and bombings followed by the introduction of phony evidence that would implicate the Cuban government. It stated:

"The desired resultant from the execution of this plan would be to place the United States in the apparent position of suffering defensible grievances from a rash and irresponsible government of Cuba and to develop an international image of a Cuban threat to peace in the Western Hemisphere."

Several other proposals were included within Operation Northwoods, including real or simulated actions against various U.S. military and civilian targets. The plan was drafted by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, signed by Chairman Lyman Lemnitzer and sent to the Secretary of Defense. Although part of the U.S. government's Cuban Project anti-communist initiative, Operation Northwoods was never officially accepted; it was authored by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, but then rejected by President John F. Kennedy.

None of the Operations Northwoods proposals became operational.
Operation Northwoods

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
One famous "false flag" was actually in writing !!

Although it really never happened (so they say)

Operation Northwoods was a series of false-flag proposals that originated in 1962 within the United States government, and which the Kennedy administration rejected. [2] The proposals called for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), or other operatives, to commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities and elsewhere. These acts of terrorism were to be blamed on Cuba in order to create public support for a war against that nation, which had recently become communist under Fidel Castro.[3] One part of Operation Northwoods was to "develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington."

Operation Northwoods proposals included hijackings and bombings followed by the introduction of phony evidence that would implicate the Cuban government. It stated:

"The desired resultant from the execution of this plan would be to place the United States in the apparent position of suffering defensible grievances from a rash and irresponsible government of Cuba and to develop an international image of a Cuban threat to peace in the Western Hemisphere."

Several other proposals were included within Operation Northwoods, including real or simulated actions against various U.S. military and civilian targets. The plan was drafted by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, signed by Chairman Lyman Lemnitzer and sent to the Secretary of Defense. Although part of the U.S. government's Cuban Project anti-communist initiative, Operation Northwoods was never officially accepted; it was authored by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, but then rejected by President John F. Kennedy.

None of the Operations Northwoods proposals became operational.
Operation Northwoods

Yup, never really happened...

Even tho it was in writing.

The Tonkin incident happened but wasn't in writing. Confusing huh?

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

This may be of interest, not saying I am promoting it as absolute truth, just relevant info to consider.

edit on 6-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Gulf of Tonkin "False Flag" was actually a 1/2 False Flag.

Oddly enough, there were two "incidents" within two days in August of 1964.

The first one was real, but did not produce the "wake up" call to Congress to allow LBJ to start the Viet Nam war in earnest.

The second one did the trick......and IT was a False Flag !!

The Gulf of Tonkin Incident, or the USS Maddox Incident, are the names given to two separate confrontations, one actual and one now recognized as non-existent, involving North Vietnam and the United States in the waters of the Gulf of Tonkin. On August 2, 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox, while performing a signals intelligence patrol as part of DESOTO operations, engaged three North Vietnamese Navy torpedo boats of the 135th Torpedo Squadron.[1] A sea battle resulted, in which the Maddox expended over two hundred and eighty 3-inch and 5-inch shells, and in which four USN F-8 Crusader jet fighter bombers strafed the torpedo boats. One US aircraft was damaged, one 14.5 mm round hit the destroyer, three North Vietnamese torpedo boats were damaged, and four North Vietnamese sailors were killed and six were wounded; there were no U.S. casualties.[5]

The second Tonkin Gulf incident was originally claimed by the U.S. National Security Agency to have occurred on August 4, 1964, as another sea battle, but instead may have involved "Tonkin Ghosts"[6] (false radar images) and not actual NVN torpedo boat attacks.

The outcome of these two incidents was the passage by Congress of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which granted President Lyndon B. Johnson the authority to assist any Southeast Asian country whose government was considered to be jeopardized by "communist aggression". The resolution served as Johnson's legal justification for deploying U.S. conventional forces and the commencement of open warfare against North Vietnam.
Gulf of Tonkin incident(s)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Someone above posted the quote: "all warfare is based upon deception." or something like that anyway.

that being said...No One will ever know anyone else's intentions or activities...only their own.

knowing what a false flag is has no value unless it was your own activity.

ignore head fakes; its possible for an opponent to deceive themselves. be aware of the cross over; or at least make sure your shoes are tied tight...that way when you are picking yourself off the ground...you don't have to put your shoes back on also.

play.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

knowing what a false flag is has no value unless it was your own activity.

Maybe there is value in the definition, so that we can see it coming, or at least have more facts like motive and players, so that we or a jury can better determine the truth after the fact. Of course, as you say, the deception knows no limits. But today's technology serves both private and public interests, so the scrutiny from society is at an unmatched level in history. Deciding between people not knowing verses knowing about FF's, I think knowing helps with a better foundation for reasoning.

peace

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

This is a real newspaper from a week before Pearl Harbor.

Strange also is how "Lucky" (convenient) is was that the U.S. aircraft carriers were not at Pearl Harbor !!

THE TRUTH OF PEARL HARBOR

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

This is a real newspaper from a week before Pearl Harbor.

Strange also is how "Lucky" (convenient) is was that the U.S. aircraft carriers were not at Pearl Harbor !!

THE TRUTH OF PEARL HARBOR

Also interesting is that the second largest print on the page is "Football Scores"

There may be things afoot but as long as the people are still crowding into the coliseums, all is good.

Thanks for the pic.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

are you suggesting perhaps that Japan didn't do Pearl Harbor and that the surprise attack was conducted by American forces against American forces and blamed on Japan?

The Aircraft Carriers were not in the Harbor but close by...what was needed to do conduct the operation was available...

I think I see where this is going.

I once postulated that Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were the same person and that absence of electricity and such enabled him (Abraham Davis) to lead his people against one another without them knowing what was happening and that the assassination was only added to the story because ultimately only one of the personalities could survive.

does that count as deception?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'd comment but I don't want to be on any more lists.

But yea, I do know what ya mean, just apply objective investigation of facts, and therein lies the most accurate answer, imo.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

are you suggesting perhaps that Japan didn't do Pearl Harbor and that the surprise attack was conducted by American forces against American forces and blamed on Japan?

The Aircraft Carriers were not in the Harbor but close by...what was needed to do conduct the operation was available...

I think I see where this is going.

I once postulated that Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were the same person and that absence of electricity and such enabled him (Abraham Davis) to lead his people against one another without them knowing what was happening and that the assassination was only added to the story because ultimately only one of the personalities could survive.

does that count as deception?

No I wasn't suggesting that.

However, I Have read theories related to both ideas.

It is possible the U.S. carriers and aircraft were the attackers.
That's certainly not out of the question.

The generally accepted theory is that the U.S. simply let the Japanese make the attack.

The theory with that is that Japan actually had superiority at the time.
If the U.S. had left the carriers in harbor, they would have been destroyed.
And the U.S. aircraft was not enough to stop the Japanese at the time.
The Japanese naval force was following a massive storm front at sea.

In essence, the U.S. was caught off guard.
Even though they knew the Japanese military codes, there was not enough time to react.

And I have read about the Lincoln/Davis theory as well. It's possible, especially at that time as you say.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

perhaps, my assertion that speculating upon the nature of a False Flag operation is not useful, being that deception has no limits, is not so unreasonable.

no matter how much data or facts are studied...the only thing a person can every be certain of is their own actions and motivations.

not trying to be a jerk, I just think that the use of deception in warfare, is the most interesting component.

it really brings home the idea of Sun Tzu concerning knowing oneself. you can never really know your opponent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join