It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Photo Captures Robot Cargo Ship's Space Station Arrival

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What I wouldn't give to have that view out my window. 'Course I'm a space nut, so I'd be happy just getting to LEO for 5 minutes. Never gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Don't ask how I thought of this or where it came from, but you know if we built a space station arena in orbit we could make up some pretty incredible sports.

Zero-G Football

Take paintball to the next level.

I guess it would be hard to build and get all the stuff needed for under a gazillion $, but you can't say it wouldn't be fun as hell.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Zero G football would cut injury rates, but would have lengthy delays. Establishing where forward progress was stopped and then waiting for the tackles to cease motion and then re-establishing the new line of scrimmage could take several minutes between every play, it would become worse than commercial breaks and officiating challenges.

reply to post by pikestaff

Exposure time, maybe 30 frames per second is not long enough to image the stars. If you look closely, the stars are not dots, they are short streaks, indicating movement due to exposure time of well over 1/30th of a second. One has to simply photograph the night sky with stars in view, say near a crescent moon with stars visible at a tripod held timed exposure of a second and no more than 2 seconds to see lengthy star streaks.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I'm am immediately reminded of Battle School from Ender's Game

Really looking forward to that movie...

ETA:

And yeah, the "fog" are from the thrusters as the ship maneuvers itself for docking.

My mother-in-law's next door neighbor is up on the ISS right now, Donald Pettit. He's a really nice guy, fixed one of her broken sprinkler heads before he left for lift off in Baikonur.
edit on 7-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: more to say

edit on 7-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: -s

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
here it is in action

So much for the theory of billions and billions of stars! Not many stars are seen in this footage, just an observation.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

Yet your observation failed to see the second post above yours.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by ajay59

Yet your observation failed to see the second post above yours.

Meaning what? I see NO signs of stars period. Can you point them out? I could care less what excuse you would us e, exposure, blur or whatever have you. Stars should be easily discernible!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

I could care less what excuse you would us e, exposure, blur or whatever have you.

The above-referenced statement indicates that no matter the explanation, you are not amenable to changing your mind.

Which being the case, results in a logical fallacy.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I did leave an opening should you care to accept, point out the stars. I always try to keep an open mind and was merely pointing out an observation. Again I respectfully ask they be pointed out.

What makes you think that you should change anyone's mind? Closing of other avenues of thought seems to be all important to you. You speak as though you are all knowing and all seeing, yet when I challenge you to prove your perceived superiority, you fall mysteriously short. To me this shows your inferiority by trying to close the mind of others to possibilities. What your motives might be one can only guess.

edit on 7-4-2012 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

They are in the OP photo because that is what it is: A Photograph, with a long exposure time (the longer the film or CCD chip is exposed to light, the more it will show).

The video is just that: a Video, with each frame being exposed for about 1/30 of a second, much too fast for the faint light of starts to show up on the video.

You are showing your ignorance about how photography works. You do not have to take our word for it. Go get yourself a SLR 35mm camera, in which you can hold open the shutter mechanically. You can pick them up pretty cheap at yard / garage sales, on ebay, etc.

Get a tripod and remote shutter cable too.

Mount the camera on the tripod and point it up at the sky and a clear night.

Take a picture at the following speeds, with your focus set to infinity:

1/500, 1/250, 1/50, 1/30, 1/2, 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds. Note that anything over 15 seconds and the stars will streak due to the movement of the Earth (so if you wold like some of them, expose the frame for about 5 mintues).

Take the film to a developer and explain to them that these are "Star Shots" and that you need EVERY frame developed (some developers will think there was something wrong with your film or camera and will not develope every frame).

Take a look at your pictures. Note how the high speed frames (1/500 to 1/30) will not show stars. Note how the much longer exposure times show many stars.

Congrats. You just learned something new, and hopefully have a new hobby like me and others on here have. It's fun, and you can get some of the most beautiful pictures you've ever seen:

Above taken with a 35mm SLR camera, 50mm lens with ISO 800 film at 15 seconds.

Above taken with a 35mm SLR camera, 50mm lens with ISO 800 film at 12 seconds, with a full moon out.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Very well done. Now show me the vast array of stars in the video in question please.

While you are at it, show me the stars in the horizon of the photos taken when man landed on the moon.

edit on 7-4-2012 by ajay59 because: to add

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Very well done. Now show me the vast array of stars in the video in question please.

its been explained twice within 8 posts that the videos frame rate is too quick to show the stars. why are you so closed minded?
edit on 7-4-2012 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos

its been explained twice within 8 posts that the videos frame rate is too quick to show the stars. why are you so closed minded?

I did see stars in both photos presented in the post. What was the point? I see absolutely no stars in the video. Whom is closed minded?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I did see stars in both photos presented in the post. What was the point? I see absolutely no stars in the video. Whom is closed minded?

whats the frame rate of the video taken? whats the shutter speed of the camera taking the photos? there is an explaination that you just wont believe for some reason you wont even consider it a possibility.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by choos

Possibility is my whole point. Someone tries to think out side the box and is swarmed by all knowing, all seeing gods steering them away from exploring possibilities. Things in all walks are proven incorrect on a daily basis just by challenging the known. Had someone not challenged the known the world would still be flat!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by choos

Possibility is my whole point. Someone tries to think out side the box and is swarmed by all knowing, all seeing gods steering them away from exploring possibilities. Things in all walks are proven incorrect on a daily basis just by challenging the known. Had someone not challenged the known the world would still be flat!

you are looking at it the wrong way.. have you ever considered the possibility that NASA isnt lying to you?

maybe just once, even one time that they arent lying to you?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Perhaps if some here could be a little less critical and belittling of others for trying to keep an open mind, progress could be made. Progress can only be made when things can be proven beyond doubt. As long as there can be doubt, nothing is solid enough for some to "push there truth on another!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by choos

you are looking at it the wrong way.. have you ever considered the possibility that NASA isnt lying to you?

maybe just once, even one time that they arent lying to you?

This is something that I analyze constantly. NASA thus far, has been a habitual liar in many cases that I will not point out at this time. This fact should make anyone question everything they say at any time.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Why, instead of chastising and belittling, can people not keep their truth to themselves and lead others to what you perceive as the the truth? It is forcing your truths on others that drives the wedge deeper IMO! Can you not see this?

Instead of showing your "mental prowess", why not work with others? We are all brothers and sisters in this existence, and I don't know about your immediate family but mine has always worked together in harmony.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Awesome Photograph.
And great technology-the ESA module is unmanned,and re usable.
I bet the folks on the ISS experience great relief when this docks,and they get extra supplies.
I wonder if the greenish haze on our planet's horizon is part of an aurora?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join