It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please use the search function.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Seriously folks, this is getting out of hand.

Especially the last two or three days. At least six times in the past three days I have seen four or five different threads about the same topic. I'm not even going to get started about the stupid Martin/Zimmerman thing.

So I am begging everyone, PLEASE for the sake of my sanity. Just take an extra minute and do a search before you post a thread. It's not hard.

I just used the Search Function and found at least six other rants about this same topic. So I suppose I can bitch at myself too. But the last one seams to have been posted in November of last year, So I think it is time for a reminder.

Actually that is a brilliant idea.

Hey Mods! Do you think it would be unreasonable to send out a reminder every two or three months reminding the good people of ATS to use the search?

Thank you all for you time, I'll be here all week.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
When I try to use the search function, the screen says that it is loading, but it never completes. I used to be able to use it, but now it doesn't load for me. Therefore I am hesitant to start a thread because everybody comes unglued and says there's already threads about this, or a mod shuts it down.

Fine and dandy, but be aware, the search function on ATS doesn't work for everybody.

I might as well google it, the ATS threads show up there as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I agree, but sometimes there are things that the search function misses. A lot of the time, especially posting articles with the titles verbatim a quick search of a few keywords would do the trick, but sometimes threads on the same things have completely dissimilar titles, which could be forgiven.

But seriously, this needs to happen, especially when multiple threads with the same titles and subjects show up in the SAME HOUR.

Look a the new topic firehose before you post something too, please

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I have had the search page not loading issue as well, to solve the problem though all I have to do is hit the "stop loading" icon on the browser and it will immediately show the search entry box.

The only time I have expierenced this problem is while using my iPhone (mobile safari browser). While using chrome ( Linux or windows version) or Firefox I have never had any issues with the search function.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
How about this one in December? www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hey Mods! Do you think it would be unreasonable to send out a reminder every two or three months reminding the good people of ATS to use the search?

This is a good idea. Only it should be monthly. They could include other current issues as well.

For those who can't get the search function to work properly. You might try updating your Java and Flash for starters. Also, consider switching to Firefox or Chrome. It wouldn't hurt to run a check for malware either. The quick scan function on superantispyware or malwarebytes is one way to do it. They both have free versions.

As a side note. It's not easy to catch every thread that has already been posted since the OP can use whatever headline they want. But most can be caught.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hmmm, I have had no trouble using the Search function.

But I do not discount that others have. Perhaps ATS could invest some of the money they make off of all those advertisements into making the search system more efficient.

reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I addressed that in the OP here.

I just used the Search Function and found at least six other rants about this same topic. So I suppose I can bitch at myself too.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

That is a valid point, but that doesn't bother me. When two users post the same story within 5 minutes of each other.

When I see 5 threads with the same title an hour apart, sometimes it makes me think there is something wrong with my computer. But alas no. Just people not bothering to look.
edit on 6-4-2012 by watchitburn because: spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
People should at least look at the new topics firehose before they post things like breaking news. There were four or five threads about the fa-18 crash in VA posted within the first hour of the story. Too many flag and star hunters out there I say, always racing to see who get's there first.

If I were to post something and find it was already posted I would delete the info and ask a mod to delete the thread out of respect for the other person. I think a monthly newsletter that goes to our inboxes would be nice with reminders of these things. I know the search function isnt the best, but I seem to have no real issues with it and neither do many other members. And that seems to be the main excuse from people. Anyway just my two cents. Thanks for reminding people.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I think that is an even better idea than mine.

Leave it to a Jar-neck to have the most common sense idea.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
the search function suuuuucks. Cant sort by date, etc. I do searches and get nothing one day and tons the next. Youre better off doing google searches ON GOOGLE and adding "abovetopsecret" in the search field. What a mess. Biggest conspiracy here might be the sketchy ATS Search function.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Other sites I have used load search results that are close matches for any thread or news story you try to create. They are laid out right in front of your eyes for you to see before you ever get the chance to click submit on your original (or not) thread.

That could very, very easily be done here, and then it would be on the part of the user to either not double post, or to pretend he or she cannot read.

(If you'd like to know which sites, message me. I will help out but not 'advertise' for any other sites.)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

It could be malfunctioning due to ad blocking software or a proxy that you use (or other plugins or extensions). If not that, I am not sure.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The search function is a useful tool, but it doesn't always work as well as you would like. I have searched for terms I thought would bring up a subject, found nothing, posted on the subject, then have been told it already exists. Sure enough, had I used a slightly different string of words to search, I might have found it. So do not assume that just because someone double posted on a subject that they have not used the search engine.

Secondly, I have also been caught when there is breaking news. I take my time to post according to T&C, and by the time I press Enter there are three threads up about the topic. When stuff is happening fast, that is most likely to happen.

Thirdly, there are times when New Topics scrolls by so fast that you don't really see it. I;ve found that "New Topic Firehose" is really a better bet to use because it gioves you more htan ten, but if a topic does not appear on New Topic, is not on the Home page, and managed to be obscure for one reason or another, you can see how it could get missed.

So lighten up. It's the Mods' job to consolidate threads. Let 'em do it. If they don't, meh? It's not the end of the world. Stuff happens, and this is often a fast moving site. Dupes are inevitable.

top topics

join