It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Merchant of Death" Viktor Bout Sentenced to 25 Years; Trial Ignored Ties to US, Dick Cheney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

"Merchant of Death" Viktor Bout Sentenced to 25 Years; Trial Ignored Ties to US, Dick Cheney

Notorious arms smuggler Viktor Bout, known as the "Merchant of Death," has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for conspiracy to commit terrorism. Our guest, former United Nations arms trafficking investigator Kathy Lynn Austin, says the case allowed American companies to avoid exposure of their collusion with with the U.S. government and private companies linked to Dick Cheney during the Iraq war, even after United Nations sanctions against him in 2004. Authorities say Viktor Bout was involved in trafficking arms to dictators and stoking conflicts in Africa, South America and the Middle Ea
(visit the link for the full news article)

]
edit on 6-4-2012 by Down4Whateva because: because

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
the angle of death busted
Viktor "The Angle Of Death"
Bout busted in a sting operation and then found guilty for supporting terrorist.
Judge gave him the absolute minimum sentence because he said he" wasn't convinsed by the prosicuters story".
Also revealed, he helped the D.O.D, U.S. buisnesses and other players move arms while it was illegal.
He replyed that if he is guilty then so is the u.s. companys,arms dealers
and government agencies that was involved with him.
What do you all think?

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-4-2012 by Down4Whateva because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2012 by Down4Whateva because: blah blah

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Down4Whateva

I suspect he won't serve all 25 years either.

This is a high-value intelligence source for many organizations that put on a show of trying to find black-marketeers in the wild. If he does serve, it won't be in a "regular' place... we'll probably be told Leavenworth, but I wouldn't be too sure of that.

This man was the "unofficial" conduit for too many black-ops around the world... holding him won't be as simple as jailing a radical Muslim with no understanding of the value of the information they know.

Of course, 25 years from now Cheney and his cohorts will be waiting for him (may be up to their 10th heart transplant...where DO those "parts" come from? - same black market.) and will greet him as a returning hero and friend to the "cause.".

I apologize if this sounds overly cynical... but I don't expect justice ... and I think the Judge knows that a "jury of his peers" is not a possibility.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Damn, Nicholas Cage is going to prison.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Down4Whateva

Authorities say Viktor Bout was involved in trafficking arms to dictators and stoking conflicts in Africa, South America and the Middle Ea

How is this any different than what the American Military Industrial complex does? This is America's bread and butter. The hypocrisy of American policy once again rears it's ugly head. What a farce. You mine as well throw the
head's of the CIA and the pentagon in jail too. They are just as guilty.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I doubt he will serve any time at all. Vladmir Putin (Prime Minister or President, whatever he is right now) is outraged at the court result and stated it will be at the very top of his list for idscussion with the US government.

Im guessing the shock Putin had stems from learning the outcome of the trial after it was over with instead of knowing the outcome before the trial even starts. I see another "exchange" taking place - this guy for someone / some item / cooperation on syria and iran.

Either way this is not the last we will hear of it.

Why Russia defends a 'merchant of death'

Russia blasts US as arms dealer known as the 'Merchant of Death' sentenced to 25 years in prison

As far as Cheney and the US legal system goes I wouldn't hold my breath. Sovereign immunity is present so unless cheney takes a vacation somewhere outside the US........ He just had heart surgery so his days are numbered anyways.

I am curious about the timing of all of this though.. just before an election, verdict comes after Putin wins his election coupled with Obama's comment about missile defense and his second term. Sounds like poker chips and nothing more.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
We all know this is all about the politics.
Obama's gonna milk this and the death of obl for all the political capital he can.
And he gets to brag that he "ended" the war.
The unseen hand has been hard at work as of late.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I love how they stop the investigation / prosecution when it starts getting to close to home. The ties are there how come they don't follow up on the crime.

The D.E.A. will follow UP and DOWN for leads and prosecutions.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The guy smuggled weapons FOR the US goverment against UN Sanctions, and in violation of US law!
I would suspect hell die of a fast acting cancer in prison or some other such misfortunate circumstance....
Probably before he gets to write his tell all book......

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Huh, so Bout's luck finally ran out.

Thanks for the heads-up, OP.

Bout was a very cavilier arms dealer, he was an attention-seeker and made himself very conspicuious in the global arms trade, a business that generally demands a bit more subtlty. The only surprising thing to me is that his career wasn't cut short a lot sooner.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
He got too visible ,too many people knew who he was... He'll retire to an
Island somewhere on the zblack Sea in return for not leaking his blackmail documents...business as usual

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167

How is this any different than what the American Military Industrial complex does? This is America's bread and butter. The hypocrisy of American policy once again rears it's ugly head. What a farce. You mine as well throw the
head's of the CIA and the pentagon in jail too. They are just as guilty.

He was probably guilty of undercutting the prices of their favourite frontman dealers, therefore lowering the market value of their stock. We couldn't have that now could we

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I believe that most of the above comments are probably correct. Take a notorious arms dealer out of the game & the rest of the competition all of sudden profits in a multitude of ways.

I think this was a move in order to 'tie' up Viktor in court. . .

Perhaps "U.S. & Co." got 'wind' that Viktor was going to be utilized in supplying the 'enemy' with alot of arms. . .?

Whatever nefarious plans are about to be rolled out, one thing is clear. It does not need Viktor arming/re-arming the 'enemy'.
US missile defense plans may signal strike on Iran, Russia warns

Viktor has already has dealt arms in Africa & Afghanistan plus has strong ties w/ Russia's KGB.

* What I'm curious about is, does Viktor have ties w/ Syria or Iran in arms dealing? *

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I wonder if the movie.helped do him in.
I loved it but until then I didn't know who he was.
In the court of opinion he had no chance.
I bet there are some rich old men in suits somewere that found away to get richer from him getting sent away.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here's an interesting take on this whole thing: www.veteranstoday.com...

Rabbit hole is DEEP.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here's a thought:

What would happen IF Viktor was able to deal 'Electronic Warfare' weapons in which Russia seems ready to unveil. . . ?

“The development of weaponry based on new physics principles – direct-energy weapons, geophysical weapons, wave-energy weapons, genetic weapons, psychotronic weapons, and so on – is part of the state arms procurement program until 2020,” Minister Anatoliy Serdyukov reported to President-in-waiting Vladimir Putin during their latest meeting
RT - Vlad's 'Zombie' gun

That would certainly change the dynamics of having a Technological edge. . .

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
FULFORD and DRAKE strike AGAIN

top topics

join