It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't drive 55!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If I might add a former trucker's perspective to this I think it has a great deal to do with the way vehicles are built today in how fast people drive and how common speeding and so called 'hyper-speeding' is happening. When in the truck and pulling a 53 foot trailer I found 66-70 a perfect spot for cruise control. 75 in the Western states for trucks was enjoyable, but too expensive to maintain and it didn't bother me to slow.

By contrast.... 65 in my car or pickup truck feels like I'm getting nowhere and with the windows rolled up on the open highway even 75 feels somehow slow.

The difference in personal perception and sense has nothing to do with size. After awhile driving the big trucks, you don't think about them that way anymore. It's a big car that bends in the middle...as funny as that sounds to say outside a truck stop. I think it's that cars today are deliberately designed to remove SO much of the sense of motion and feeling of a car on the highway that it's got all the realism of a video game..at least in the physical senses. So..speeding doesn't feel half bad.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I can do 55 mph on some country outback road but, who are we kidding in a four land expressway!!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
if i remember correctly, the 55 mph speed limit was implemented for saving gas not for safety. it was in the mid to late 70's when this change happened.

-subfab

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by subfab
if i remember correctly, the 55 mph speed limit was implemented for saving gas not for safety. it was in the mid to late 70's when this change happened.

-subfab

You are right....

Would You Drive 55?
The National Maximum Speed Limit of 55 m.p.h. was created in 1974 when Richard Nixon signed the Emergency Energy Highway Conservation Act. Before that, states had been free to set their own speed limits, but the new law threatened to strip federal highway funding from any state straying above the national standard. The ostensible purpose of this limit was to keep down gas prices, which had been driven through the roof by an OPEC embargo touched off by the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. And with gas prices once again sky-high, Warner isn't alone in talking up a cap on speeding.

Read more: www.time.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

The posted legal speed may be 55, but the SAFE speed, i.e. the speed which must be maintained to prevent becoming a hazard to others, is usually a bit higher so thats how I drive.

(That's my alibi anyway, so I'm sticking with it)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Just wanted to say thanks to the mods for their hard work, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this and they were cool and moved the thread here. Peace and keep up the great work guys! (sorry for the off topic bit)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The off site content quote states that speeding "is a contributing factor" in many accidents. What is not said is what might be the other contributing factor(s). When I'm out riding I see tons of people speeding (usually I am also) but the dangerous people I see are the ones who do it while texting, while talking on a phone, digging around for something under one of the seats, or some other nonsense.

If someone is going to speed their eyes should be on the road when they do it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Speed isn't the problem, it's the imbeciles behind the wheel gripping the steering wheel with some kung fu death grip. There are people who just have no clue, and these are the people who cause accidents. And of course the texting morons.
edit on 7-4-2012 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think another facet to this 'everybody seems to be speeding' scenario is:

GPS or SatNav- Here in the U.K it is fairly common knowledge that the cars speedometer can be out of calibration by anything upto 10% when leaving the factory- then add further error % for people who have changed the size of wheels and tyres with aftermarket options and you end up with a speedometer that does little more then give a rough indication of speed. Click here to see how they work and guidence of how they are governed. (there is a conspiracy that says manufacturers are part of a hoodwink to deliberatly fool drivers in to traveling slower without there knowledge by simply skewing the speedometer results)

Now ive driven a whole host of cars with satnav- Which I believe is a far more acurate (though still not 100%) way to judge speed- and in every case when traveling at 50-70 mph by the speedometer in the car the GPS will show -7 to12mph under the speed the speedometer is showing.
I found this example on YT

So I think as SatNAv/GPS becomes more and more common people are using those as speedos instead of the cars in built one. and are incuraged to by features such as chiming as you approach the signed speed limit or as you aproach Gatso speed cameras,

I have no problem with bieng asked to drive slower, but I dont think I should be hoodwinked in to driving slower without my knowledge. Thankfully the Sat Navs becoming more common is putting pay to that little game and since the the sat navs speed is tied to its positioning its a much harder nut to crack in terms of getting it to still acurately record your position if the measurements of speed and distance are fiddled with.

anyways enough rambling from me

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

I got pulled over for doing 38 in a 30.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Why do we need to speed?
Why do we need to jump off a plane?
Same answer for both. Why do you sit and watch a horror movie?

I drive from 180 to 200/220 kph on the motorway.
When I travel through time, I want to go as fast as I can and get there as quick as possible.
Am I only thinking about myself?
Of course I am.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join