It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't drive 55!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

because speeding tickets are money revenue....and here speeding IS enforced....
and well many people think that speed is dangerous when it is the driver that is dangerous...

ya know......guns dont kill people...people kill people
same thing!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I've always felt it's complacency with driving.

Every slob does it and does it all day without a care or a though.

That's bound to foster a careless attitude even when it comes to piloting a one ton missile at 80mph down a residential street.

The only ways I can see to convince drivers to actually pay attention and practice safe rates of travel, safe following distances and situational awareness would be to let roads collapse into horrible disrepair as to make even the shortest trip a life and death trial or to leave wrecks on the road and exploded entrails spread out across lanes as a constant reminder.

Getting into a motor vehicle and traveling public roads is so much more a life and death matter than seemingly 95% of the driving public realizes.

40,000 plus are killed in the US every year commuting to work, picking up the kids at school, going out for that gallon of milk, etc... and yet people are preoccupied with fears of thunder, roving kidnappers and terrorism.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Love this video....I see people driving slow in the fast lane all the time. Cop did the right thing, moved the car to the side and then went on with his day....

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Because everyone driving at around the same speed is infinitely safer than mixing and matching speeds. At least now you have people in a range of about 15-20mph... Imagine a car going 50mph trying to pass a car going 25mph while another car in the next lane comes zooming by at 120mph. What a nightmare

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Was just a thought. Also, why have speed limits then? If nobody is going to obey the law? Why not just take all the signs down and let everyone drive as fast as they feel like?

Well, really speed limits make absolutely no sense. I have a very nice new vehicle that can comfortably and safely travel at 80+ mph, and still corner, and stop with no problem. I also have an old jeep that will hop and bounce around and change lanes all by itself at 55 mph. On a road with a 60 mph speed limit, my jeep would be extremely unsafe travelling well below the speed limit, while my car would be extremely safe travelling well above the speed limit.

The safety factor is relative to the vehicle, the conditions, the tires, and the skill of the driver.

16 year old drivers don't need to be doing 75 mph through Atlanta or Dallas traffic. 80 year old drivers don't need to be doing 45 mph through the busy sections of town with 4 lanes and a turn lane and traffic merging, turning, accelerating, and slowing all at the same time. 35 year old drivers, in good health, with good driving records, and newer vehicles, in good repair, with newer tires, should be able to drive faster, and safer in any condition than the others.

So, setting a one-speed-fits-all limit is a stupid and illogical thing typical of our nanny-state government. I have had vehicles totalled out going only 40 mph when sideswiped into oncoming traffic by an elderly man that didn't see me, and I have had friends killed on motorcycles when travelling only about 35 mph, but T-boning a college girl that turned in front of him.

Speed is only a very, very small portion of the many factors that go into the engineering dynamics of a crash, but it is the easiest one to sell to the sheeple and reap some revenue from.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

AutOmatic,
Thanks for posting this..It needed to be posted! For all those saying being on the road as a pedestrian is already a death wish...
I don't believe my baby cousin at 6 years old was standing on the side of the road with a fishing pole waiting for his Daddy being a death wish. My cousin, Trey, was hit by a 16 year old female traveling over 60mph on a rural neighborhood road by a pond that the speed limit sign posted was 35mph... She, incidentally, ofcourse, hit my cousin, knocked him over the length of a football field, crushed his skull and almost all of his ribs, broke both his arms and legs, and knocked out almost all of his teeth.
For all the people who think 'speeding' is okay, even if its just a few miles over..its not. And next time it will be you, or your cousin or your 6 year old, being choppered out on a stretcher because someone wouldnt SLOW DOWN and stop texting. Yes, I know other factors benefitted to his injury like her texting, but her speeding driving almost 70 on a 35mph road almost made me lose Trey for life. Do you know what it feels like to know your baby cousin was a mangeled tangeled mess bleeding out of his skull that the concrete took a chunk the size of a baseball out of, because someone was in a selfish hurry? Next time you selfishly speed for your benefit, don't forget life will teach you a lesson of sacrifice. And that aiding and benefitting yourself can and will hurt others in the process.
Speeding is Selfish and Ignorant, no matter how much fun it is to you. Science is simple, youre speeding at very fast speeds in a trap of tons of metal and steel, one mishap, one pothole or animal to make you swerve has potential to kill you, inertia is always in motion with a moving car, and dont even get e started with impacts with other cars from speeding...lost too many young friends that ways. Ive watched my best friend pull his girlfriend out of the car with 2 broken legs only to hold her realizing her neck was snapped on impact, so atleast we know speeding may get you some where faster, like your death bed.
SLOW DOWN!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

AutOmatic,
Thanks for posting this..It needed to be posted! For all those saying being on the road as a pedestrian is already a death wish...
I don't believe my baby cousin at 6 years old was standing on the side of the road with a fishing pole waiting for his Daddy being a death wish. My cousin, Trey, was hit by a 16 year old female traveling over 60mph on a rural neighborhood road by a pond that the speed limit sign posted was 35mph... She, incidentally, ofcourse, hit my cousin, knocked him over the length of a football field, crushed his skull and almost all of his ribs, broke both his arms and legs, and knocked out almost all of his teeth.
For all the people who think 'speeding' is okay, even if its just a few miles over..its not. And next time it will be you, or your cousin or your 6 year old, being choppered out on a stretcher because someone wouldnt SLOW DOWN and stop texting. Yes, I know other factors benefitted to his injury like her texting, but her speeding driving almost 70 on a 35mph road almost made me lose Trey for life. Do you know what it feels like to know your baby cousin was a mangeled tangeled mess bleeding out of his skull that the concrete took a chunk the size of a baseball out of, because someone was in a selfish hurry? Next time you selfishly speed for your benefit, don't forget life will teach you a lesson of sacrifice. And that aiding and benefitting yourself can and will hurt others in the process.
Speeding is Selfish and Ignorant, no matter how much fun it is to you. Science is simple, youre speeding at very fast speeds in a trap of tons of metal and steel, one mishap, one pothole or animal to make you swerve has potential to kill you, inertia is always in motion with a moving car, and dont even get e started with impacts with other cars from speeding...lost too many young friends that ways. Ive watched my best friend pull his girlfriend out of the car with 2 broken legs only to hold her realizing her neck was snapped on impact, so atleast we know speeding may get you some where faster, like your death bed.
SLOW DOWN!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
55? Really? It's not the 1960's anymore. We have high tech cars with amazing brakes and tires. We can probably stop in the same amount of time at 80, than someone driving 50 a couple decades ago. It's time to raise the limit.

link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

Sorry to read your stories.

My comment about pedestrians having a deathwish was aimed at the idea of highway speeding. In that case, cars are completely allowed to go 55mph (or whatever the posted limit is). To a pedestrian, it doesn't make much of a difference if you get hit by a car going 55mph or 65mph.

Going 60+ in a 35mph zone is just ridiculous.

link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I live in Colorado. We have a provably of everyone driving UNDER the speed limit. It drives me INSANE!! Its a PITA and its a hazard for those of us who do drive the speed limit...or over.

I admit...I have a need for speed. I should have been a race car driver. lol
We also have 75mph roads and they are really fun to drive on. lol
But im also a very safe and in control driver.....

I grew up around fast cars....it is in my blood :/
edit on April 6th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I'm in Colorado also, and can vouch for this! The Interstate is a different story, where 80 is "cruising speed", but elsewhere nobody is in a hurry to get anywhere. Sorry, but I'm one of them. I usually stick to 2-3mph below the limit. Even this close to the legal limit, I do get batty drivers zooming around me honking and flailing about as they screech by using the shoulder as a passing lane... only to end up right behind them at the next red light, that's always worth a chuckle. Plus, sometimes I think I'm the only driver on the road in Colorado who's not drunk... that's not distance I keep between me and the guy in front of me, it's surplus reaction time. Hell, I prep for the frakkin' zombie apocalypse, might as well be ready for a sudden stop...

What a lot of habitual speeders fail to consider, is that while doing 10 over exponentially increases both the likelihood and measurable severity of any potential mishaps, you don't really get there much faster, if any at all. Even if you remove any traffic management from the scenario (lights, stop signs, etc.), do the math and you'll see speeding is nothing but a pointless risk to the speeder and anyone else near them.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
When I am in traffic or in town, I drive the speed limit. But, I have to admit, out here in the boondocks the roads are flat, wide open and very sparsely traveled. On some of the farm roads out here, the posted limit is 70, but there are times when I go 90 mph.

There are no trees or hills to block my vision, it's just a wide open desert. That's Texas for you.

If there is traffic of any kind, I do slow down, but damn it's fun to go fast out in the great wide open. I'm so glad my husband doesn't visit ATS, he drives like an old fuddy-duddy, and if he knew how fast I drove to the grocery store, he would blow a gasket!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This topic drives me crazy. When I drive the family truckster I drive the speed limit or maybe 5 above. I always say slow drivers are slow thinkers. The people that want to go have to pay the price for the slow thinkers. The speed limits are set way too slow. Just like the school systems where the smarter kids are held back by the slower kids because the teacher has to try to keep the group together. I live in a rural area where the speeds aren't really an issue. All we have to worry about is deer and other critters. It drives me crazy when I get into an area where there is more traffic. You get into a 35 mph zone that is curvy and the people that are obeying the 35 mph speed limit can't keep their cars in their lane. They're on the bicycle path or in the oncoming traffic lane. These slow thinkers are more dangerous than a person going over the limit. I always say cops should ticket BAD drivers and not focus on just the speed. There are a LOT of BAD drivers that always obey the speed limit. Very many people can't even park their cars between the lines or they hold traffic up because they can't parallel park. These people rarely get ticketed because there's no money in it. The speeding ticket is just another way to raise money for the cities because we all know they don't really care about our safety. If you can't drive the speed limit you should pick up the phone and call the senior bus. Of course in Northern Michigan we're used to driving in 3 feet of snow at 55 mph while holding our beer with a shot gun over our shoulder looking for a deer to shoot.

Now when I'm driving my motorcycle it's a whole different story. That's when I turn into a 15 year old speed demon. Of course I do this only in the rural areas where there isn't any traffic. The only person I put in danger is myself but I don't feel I'm in danger. Here's a little sample of my riding in the Smokey Mountains.

and here's a little sample on a "private course" in Northern Michigan.

edit on 6-4-2012 by chefc14 because: add video

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Sorry to hear that, and no problem, I was driving this morning and just looking around at the blatant disregard for speed limits by everyone on the road with me ...well, it just bothered me so I felt the need to post something. Peace to you and yours!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Katharo, so sorry for your little cousin, and that is heart-wrenching, but I have to ask anyway...

My cousin, Trey, was hit by a 16 year old female traveling over 60mph on a rural neighborhood road by a pond that the speed limit sign posted was 35mph... She, incidentally, ofcourse, hit my cousin,

Wasn't the problem that she veered off the road? The problem wasn't speed, the problem was a youthful driver, probably not paying attention, not seeing a pedestrian, and/or not keeping their car in the lane of travel? If your cousin was on the side of the road, then she would not have hit him whether she was going 10 or 100, but if her car left the roadway and struck your cousin, then the problem was her lack of driving skill.

Sure, maybe 60 in a 35 was too fast, but it was because of her poor decision making, perhaps her type of car, certainly her attention to driving, and her inability or lack of skill to keep the car on the road.

Speed was just one factor that was a symptom of her poor driving, not the cause of her poor driving.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I know what you mean.. My dad completely over reacts.. and thinks he's doing a good job. In the street, someone decided to turn, so some people decided to stop/slow. He had plenty of room, yet clenched up and stomped on the breaks when there was at least 5-6 car lengths between us but it seemed like more. More than enough room to stop for me, even at 60 (which would be close, and we weren't going nearly that fast.)

If there had been someone behind us? we would have been the one's hit.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyTots

TurkeyTots,
Thank you for replying. I do realize after I re-read your post, what you meant. Where I live we do have very fast and busy bridges and highways that are extremely unsafe and if you are walking across, it would literally be 'asking for it' so to say so I believe thats what you were intending and meaning! I did not mean to take it personally.
Also, 60+ in 35 is ridiculous.. I remember she was crying and kept telling the cops on the scene that she was 'in a hurry'... let alone later her parents enlightened us and let us know she was heading to her boyfriends house. She sincerely apologized. But how important it was to her to get there in a hurry, in her mind, has caused my baby cousin to be in therapy for years since this accident. He will never be the same. And the amount of friends and family Ive lost since 2003 to speeding is ridiculous, so I apologize for being so set on my opinion. Tons of metal being thrown at a fleshy body just scares me sometimes!
Thank you for responding and letting me know what you meant!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chefc14

I was up there a few years ago and ran into a old man on a scooter with a basket on the front and a wooden license plate on the rear that reads "buddy". Have you had any run ins with this guy? I meet him but never seen him ride but according to my friends and legend this old man can out ride anyone in Deals Gap and can do it on a 50cc mopad. My buddy told me the year earlier Buddy was following him and he could not shake him. Every time he looked in the rear view Buddy was right there. He said he had to finally pull over and let Buddy pass him. I would love to see this old man ride. Apparently the guy is a local and knows the road better than most.

link   
That video only had a few liget "speeding" accidents. The rest were just accidents that were caused by........ok im waiting......still waiting....yeah i see the accident but what caused it...still waiting....OH! DAMN! That kid just walked out into the street WITHOUT looking both ways.

Speeding is dangerous....to a degree. Comes down to driver skill and knowledge. Also comes down to the current conditions......and the type of car....the brakes, the tranny, the engine, the weight....etc.

Experience is what causes accidents, not speeding. Yeah sure because he was driving fast he rolled his car, but it was the persons experience which led them to another bad judgement.

I have been speeding since i got my license. Got a couple tickets, didnt care. Got into an accident when i was 18 and totalled my car. Emergency room, the works. Came out ok. Learned from it, started driving faster with the new experience now in my brain.

People that get hit in the middle of the road, are gonna get hit regardless if that person is speeding. So that comes down to the persons awareness. Open your eyes and speed all you want. Just be alert and have postive control.

Duh

link   
reply to post by Miraj

If there had been someone behind us? we would have been the one's hit.

Actually, if you had been hit, the car behind you would have gotten the ticket, speed would have been called a factor in the crash, and the real cause would have been entirely different than what the statistics show.

Also, I have been in a line of cars before, very close to an intersection when a light turns yellow, there is plenty of time for me to make the light, so I have to decide whether to speed up or slow down, I glance in my mirror and can plainly see the car behind me is ready to go on through the light, so I better not stop, I look back in front of me, and for some ridiculous reason, the car in front of me decides to stop abruptly, halfway into the intersection, for a yellow light!
Now, I have to skid and swerve to miss their car and run a red light almost sideways, and the car behind me has to skid and stop within inches of the car I almost hit! It has happened that way at least twice to me!

Who is at fault? Is it me, for taking the moment to check my mirror and factor that traffic into my decision making? Is it me, and the driver behind me, for being aware of the timing of the yellow light, and our own speeds, and calculating that we can clear the intersection before it turns red? Or is it the overly defensive driver, that takes none of that into account, and simply sees the light change from green to yellow and instantly reacts with complete disregard for everyone else involved? I'm afraid, if we hit that guy, it will be our ticket, not his. Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

getreadyalready,
I completely agree and believe quite a few factors attributed to the incident, for example,
No 6 year old should be standing on a curb, unattented anyways.. That was a fault of my Uncle trusting he was in a park like area, with the 'nothing could happen mindset'..standing yards away from Trey getting fishing equipment out of the back of his truck. So thats the first mess up, leaving a young child unattended near a street. Especially alone on a curb..
Also, Texting was a huge factor, I have had the most gut feeling since it happened that she was looking down texting when it happened,because if she saw him, she would have swerved right? I actually have no doubt a 16 year old girl would have trouble putting down her phone while driving... So thats another factor, not watching where she was going.
Also..to say the least..running up on a curve at a sharp turn at such a fast pace proves to me she either is a horrible horrible driver, or was simply not paying attention, speeding and texting and Im sure other factors played a part.
I have no doubt speeding was not the only attribute to Treys accident...Ive noticed lack of concentration causes quite a bit of these incidents as well.
It is sad. Thank you for your kind words on my situation, and yes to your question, I believe there were many other factors besides speeding. No doubt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join