It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgery bans elderly patient over her carbon footprint

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

A star for you for giving us the local perspective and insights to this article and extra appreciation for clarifying what the term "surgery" means there. In the US when we hear that word we think of a procedure, an operation, not a doctor's office, a.k.a. Medical practice.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I thought that might be the case! Navigating the twists of the language that we all share is often a difficult enough trial when we are all speaking with the same regional context, let alone when meaning and nuance are distanced from one another by orders of thousands of miles.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Uhm, she's 83... why is there $ being spent on her? That's like putting a new coat of paint on a car heading to the crusher in 2 weeks.

Derek

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viesczy
Uhm, she's 83... why is there $ being spent on her? That's like putting a new coat of paint on a car heading to the crusher in 2 weeks.

Derek

People often live to be 100. She may have 25% of her life still ahead of her. You might die tomorrow. Do we really want money being the deciding factor? Maybe we should only spend money on working, contributing, healthy, young individuals? Unemployed people get no healthcare? People that can't procreate get no healthcare? Where is the cutoff?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Maybe we should only spend money on working, contributing, healthy, young individuals? Unemployed people get no healthcare? People that can't procreate get no healthcare? Where is the cutoff?

Don't give my government any ideas, please. Although I'm sure they've already had that one.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
2 mile round trips.....

That means the place is about a mile away

Wow.
That does seem a little insane, the closest hospital or doctor to me is 40 km away. About a half hour drive.
The closest hospital that actually does any type of major surgery is at least 250 km away. Over a 2 hour drive.
The hospital that does most of the surgeries in this province is about 400 km away. Over a 4 hour drive.

I realize the UK is a lot smaller than Canada, but still.....

How is it possible that there are that many doctor`s offices there

Agree. What a ridiculous excuse. That is about as lame as they come. And most likely, 99.9% of the population is even further away. They will (should) definitely get some fallout on that stupid excuse.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I thought that might be the case! Navigating the twists of the language that we all share is often a difficult enough trial when we are all speaking with the same regional context, let alone when meaning and nuance are distanced from one another by orders of thousands of miles.
Indeed. When I had first read the headline I misunderstood and thought the woman had been banned from a needed surgical procedure. Your post cleared everything up for me and taught me something new.

Derek, surely you jest! I mean really, do you not have any elders in your family you respect and look up to? If not, honestly, you are badly missing out.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viesczy

Derek

No, it's more like saving a life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join