It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone use Tor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone on ATS uses TOR. I use it all the time to browse the net except for banking sites and other sites that require alot of personal information. Anyways is TOR safe to use? I heard the hacker group Anonymous was promoting it and that kinda worried me.

www.torproject.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkeyes

I would not recommend it!

It is slow as hell...and really offers no protection (at least not anonymity it claims)!

So...my advice is to not use it!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I dont find using Tor slow on my roadrunner connection and I checked my ip and location using the link below Tor puts me in a completely different country. But i guess nothing is safe online. I also use Peerblock with updated lists when downloading torrents.

www.whatsmyip.org...

edit on 4/6/1212 by Hawkeyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Looks totally dodgy.

we will protect you for free (but sell any info on your to anyone that will buy it) sort of deal.

Just get that feeling.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Tor has been taken over by sickcos
Darkweb onion sites are all garbage
I have yet to hear anything good about it.
Tor was actually paid by the government to be developed
Im sure its connected with CPs and mkultra feds illuminati

edit on 6-4-2012 by CaLyps0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I would recommend going HERE... and typing in "TOR"!

Threads for days about TOR!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"Internet crackdown in Iran continues, but Tor users are all back online"

arstechnica.com... /tech-policy/news/2012/02/internet-crackdown-in-iran-continues-but-tor-users-are-all-back-online.ars

Tor lets u access blocked sites. Its beats THE GREAT FIREWALL OF CHINA allowing people to use the internet like they want in China.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It's good for people who want to get around stupid internet blocks. Other than that it's fairly slow and not worth using unless you're trying to hide your identity or access blocked content.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Good and bad points overall.
Its slow..very slow. Painfully slow actually.

It allows you to circumvent some things (such as bans if you got banned from somewhere for whatever reason) and blocked websites based on where your at (youtube has lots of no seeing stuff if your in the wrong country).

But for day to day stuff..why bother. Who cares if big brother is monitoring me go to ATS, or craigslist...
I support such things existence, but don't have much use for it personally. my web activity is less than remarkable (no, contemplating conspiracys' actually isn't high priority for the gub-ment, unless you live in china or something). I don't (purposefully anyhow) do anything illegal...not criminal anyhow. And, I am not overly curious about watching some youtube video from spain...
Yes, there are lots of valid reasons to use such things, I simply don't have any of those needs on a day to day basis. So to me, tor is more cons than pros to use

Recommend:
Use ixquick.com... for your home page and search engine. It doesn't track you, and the results allows you to go there via proxy if you want...nothing to install, the engine actually pulls up more diverse results than google, and private...good stuff.
edit on 6-4-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Actually TOR was originally developed by the US navy for secure comms with foreign agents. I'm absolutely certain they have assorted nodes on the network listening out for all sorts of interesting traffic. After all what better way to gather data on your enemies (by their own people) than as promoting it as a tool of freedom allowing all the oppressed people worldwide to freely communicate on the internet by going through the secure TOR network. Having said all that I've used TOR (well to be precise VPN over the TOR network) in the past without problems add to that HTTPS sites and I'd say that's pretty good. I've used it for server admin and pc support whilst abroad or in public wifi spots in the UK. Never had any issues and never (as far as I can tell) had any security breaches.

Edit - Star for you Saturn FX, Ixquick.com is a very good search engine, Never met anyone else who uses it.

S+F for OP too.
edit on 6/4/12 by Anon77 because: (no reason given)

2nd Edit - Also if your really REALLY bothered about security you could use text encryption as well and use a secure email provider like hushmail or cryptoheaven add to that PGP (or equivalent) and 2048 bit keys.
edit on 6/4/12 by Anon77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

It is slow as hell...and really offers no protection (at least not anonymity it claims)!

Is it? I run Tor and Privoxy with AutoProxy, and youtube thinks I am in Germany. Slow? Only if you do not have it configured correctly. Some site will not load, and some will load very slow, that's a given. But, for internet privacy one has to give up a little speed for a little security.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by jerryznv

Is it? I run Tor and Privoxy with AutoProxy, and youtube thinks I am in Germany. Slow? Only if you do not have it configured correctly. Some site will not load, and some will load very slow, that's a given. But, for internet privacy one has to give up a little speed for a little security.

Well...my experience (as brief as it was) TOR slowed my connection down considerably!

Seems that it was experienced by other members also!

I don't know...to each their own I suppose!

If it works well for you and you truly believe it is offering you anonymity...well then great!

I don't have any use for it...and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

new topics

top topics

join