It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

12.7 million Unemployment rate for March 2012

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
According to the Examiner,
www.examiner.com...


CNN Money money.cnn.com...


CBS News
wtvr.com...


and ABC
www.thebostonchannel.com...


“About 12.7 million Americans remain unemployed, and 42.5% of them have been so for six months or more.”
Are there any of us here at ATS among the 12.7 Million?

edit on 6-4-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


I am one of those whom are unemployed. I lost my job last September due to using all of my sick days, and still being sick. Some of those days were hospitalized, some were for MRI's etc...
Of course I was not let go immediately. They waited until I trained two people to do what I knew how to do. Of course they were making half the amount of money I was making per hour. So sure, why pay one person when you can pay two to do the same job for the same money.

As it turns out, this company that I was employed with (for many years) has been eliminating those employees who have many years experience, we call them (old school) employees. Those who hold the true "heart" of the business, not the falsies that are running it nowadays.

To be quite honest with you, I am very discouraged about finding another "job" at this time. I think I want to just "veg" out and enjoy life....what's left of it.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
How about 87,897,000 people no longer in the labor force. Another all time high. As people drop out, they tweak the numbers to reflect improvement. NOT!

Interesting Chart
research.stlouisfed.org...



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


Gave up job hunting after two years, more than 300 resumes/applications (in and out of my field of education, experience and expertise).

The only jobs offered were 4 to 20 hours per week, no benefits and the net would not have paid for the gas to get there and back.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There was a company where my husband and I used to work and toward the end, they kept hiring more and more illegals. Eventually the company moved south. I had looked everywhere for employment for a couple of years. My husband ended up disabled, both my husband and elderly mother were in and out of hospitals, I ended up living off of my savings. I was diagnosed with cancer last June and though the cancer is gone, still going through some precautionery treatments. My money won't last forever.

I don't think any citizen should go without a job while an illegal is employed.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I don't think any citizen should go without a job while an illegal is employed.


OR INSURANCE!!!! hard to be sick, unemployed, and have no insurance to help you get well. It's a vicious circle. I just got a phone call from NJ Family Care informing me that I make too much money (on unemployment) to qualify for medical coverage. Go figure.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, for anyone in the cincinnati, ohio area: CVS is hiring full time/part time cashiers, shifts and managers in training. Just found out today. Walked in and saw help wanted signs on the doors for those positions.

Maybe that will help some of you out.


Blend57



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The more accurate "U6" unemployment rate is 14.2%.

Bigger Picture !



UPDATED April 6, 2012 The economy created a moderate number of jobs in January. The U3 unemployment rate was little changed and U6 unemployment rate dropped further to 14.2%. Still, if the pace of job growth is maintained, unemployment rates won't return to pre-recession levels until after 2016!

The number of unemployed decreased in December the government reported today. The U-3 unemployment declined slightly 8.2% in March. The U-6 unemployment rate dropped to 14.2%. The US economy added 120,000 jobs last month. Total U-3 Unemployment was little changed at 12.7 million persons.

Click here for a larger graph of unemployment rates

Long term unemployment, defined to be 27 weeks or more out of work was little changed at 5.3 million, or 42.5% of unemployed(U3) people. The median number of weeks of unemployment was declined slightly to 19.9 weeks.

About 2.4 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force in February, little different from a year earlier. These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.

Among the marginally attached, there were 865,000 discouraged workers in March, little different from a year earlier. Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them.

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) fell from 8.1 to 7.7 million over the month. These individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

[color=cyan]The U-6 unemployment rate includes the total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers.



So, how many people are actually walking around with an empty pocket hanging out their trousers ?



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
The more accurate "U6" unemployment rate is 14.2%.
Bigger Picture !


UPDATED April 6, 2012 The economy created a moderate number of jobs in January. The U3 unemployment rate was little changed and U6 unemployment rate dropped further to 14.2%. Still, if the pace of job growth is maintained, unemployment rates won't return to pre-recession levels until after 2016!
The number of unemployed decreased in December the government reported today. The U-3 unemployment declined slightly 8.2% in March. The U-6 unemployment rate dropped to 14.2%. The US economy added 120,000 jobs last month. Total U-3 Unemployment was little changed at 12.7 million persons.
Click here for a larger graph of unemployment rates
Long term unemployment, defined to be 27 weeks or more out of work was little changed at 5.3 million, or 42.5% of unemployed(U3) people. The median number of weeks of unemployment was declined slightly to 19.9 weeks.
About 2.4 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force in February, little different from a year earlier. These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.
Among the marginally attached, there were 865,000 discouraged workers in March, little different from a year earlier. Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them.
The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) fell from 8.1 to 7.7 million over the month. These individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.
[color=cyan]The U-6 unemployment rate includes the total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers.

So, how many people are actually walking around with an empty pocket hanging out their trousers ?


Thank you for responding. I went to the web site that you included in your post,
www.nojobsurvivor.com...
and found this additional comment from them," Both the civilian labor force participation rate edged down very slightly, at 63.8 percent, and the employment-population ratio, at 58.5 percent, from the previous month. The employment rate peaked in April 2000 at 64.7%, and in the 2001 recession and its aftermath it fell to a low of 62.0 in September of 2003. In other words, if the participation rate had not been falling, the unemployment rate today would be much higher as more and more people drop out of the labor market ."

So the figure is much higher according to them.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


There's more info here

The thread explains more about how the "official" unemployment figures are actually just
telephone surveys.








edit on Apr-06-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
CNN Claims that the unemployment rate is at 8.2%



posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
CNN Claims that the unemployment rate is at 8.2%


I turn a skeptical eye towards the MSM, and I don't even gaze at Russia Today (RT.com).



posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho
 


88 million people not in work force, 330 million total, so 26.5% not working, 8.2 to 8.3 % is bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!



posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by makinit66
reply to post by Violater1
 


I am one of those whom are unemployed. I lost my job last September due to using all of my sick days, and still being sick. Some of those days were hospitalized, some were for MRI's etc...
Of course I was not let go immediately. They waited until I trained two people to do what I knew how to do. Of course they were making half the amount of money I was making per hour. So sure, why pay one person when you can pay two to do the same job for the same money.

As it turns out, this company that I was employed with (for many years) has been eliminating those employees who have many years experience, we call them (old school) employees. Those who hold the true "heart" of the business, not the falsies that are running it nowadays.

To be quite honest with you, I am very discouraged about finding another "job" at this time. I think I want to just "veg" out and enjoy life....what's left of it.


I sorry to here about your unemployment. We no longer have job security anywhere we go, no matter what field we are in. No longer is there any loyalty from employers. They will do what ever it takes to save them a dollar.


I pray that you are feeling better.



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I am one of those unemployed not counted because I am not on unemployment. Just got fired 2 weeks ago and have been looking for something new. Problem is I have no money to better myself, I can't afford to go back to school. I can't afford to go that long without income. I have taken to applying at every little store I can find, nothing so far.



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I haven't worked since December 2011, but also haven't filed for unemployment benefits, so wouldn't be on that list.



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by IratePotatoes
I am one of those unemployed not counted because I am not on unemployment. Just got fired 2 weeks ago and have been looking for something new. Problem is I have no money to better myself, I can't afford to go back to school. I can't afford to go that long without income. I have taken to applying at every little store I can find, nothing so far.


If you have some skills (beyond retail) then freelancer.com is a great place to start.

If you need to learn some skills, then MIT's OpenCourseware offers free online-based MIT courses, and codeacademy.com is a great place to learn how-to be a computer programmer -- for free!



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by makinit66
reply to post by Violater1
 


I am one of those whom are unemployed. I lost my job last September due to using all of my sick days, and still being sick. Some of those days were hospitalized, some were for MRI's etc...
Of course I was not let go immediately. They waited until I trained two people to do what I knew how to do. Of course they were making half the amount of money I was making per hour. So sure, why pay one person when you can pay two to do the same job for the same money.

As it turns out, this company that I was employed with (for many years) has been eliminating those employees who have many years experience, we call them (old school) employees. Those who hold the true "heart" of the business, not the falsies that are running it nowadays.

To be quite honest with you, I am very discouraged about finding another "job" at this time. I think I want to just "veg" out and enjoy life....what's left of it.


I sorry to here about your unemployment. We no longer have job security anywhere we go, no matter what field we are in. No longer is there any loyalty from employers. They will do what ever it takes to save them a dollar.


I pray that you are feeling better.


This has been a pretty common occurrence from my view in corporate Amerika too. Heck, at one company you could see everyone becoming nervous at the end of every quarter because the company ALWAYS got rid of 5 - 10 people ( 250 person company) to make-up the numbers for operating costs.

Then 2 weeks after the quarterly board meeting those positions would be filled with new faces.

It's absolutely disgusting that anyone would put someone out on their feet in this job market just to save a few bucks for the share-holders, THEN hire someone else into that position.



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


Thats 12.7 million looking for "Shovel Ready" Jobs.

Americas infrastructure has been graded a D.


The American Society of Civil Engineers, in its well-known Report Card for America's Infrastructure, gives the U.S. an overall grade of D and says there is a $2.2 trillion deficit -- the amount of money it would take in five years to bring the country's public works up to acceptable levels. Much of this estimate is for simple maintenance.


America's crumbling infrastructure

So,why isn't the POTUS fast tracking this ? This should be priority #1. Putting our country back to work,fixing it.


edit on 12-4-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1
 


Here's the problem.

America turned into a white-colar, and service, country. Do you really expect the 40yr old who was laid off at 60k a year, and is making 40k/yr on unemployment to really change careers to a 20k/yr shovel-ready job?

If it's a choice between losing the unemployment benefits that actually pay the bills, or taking on a new trade that pays half the bills, which do you think that person will choose?



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join