It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

242 Day Earthquake Cycle Confirmed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Forget about the 188 day cycle that everyone was obsessed with a few weeks ago in actuality major Earthquakes are following a 242 day cycle... or are they?

Well not really...

These supposedly prophetic attempts at predicting mega-quakes are in actuality just a pathetic attempt to attach meaning to coincidental patterns. All of this is explainable by simple mathematics and the fact that significant earthquakes are far more common than people realize. It is funny to see all the people who defend this type of pseudoscience as if it were legitimate and who would rather trust there gut feelings that "something big is coming" along with the word of pseudoscientists trying to make a buck than trust actual scientists and the factual data they compile.

In actuality there is a major quake every 17-19 days on average, but that isn't some prophetically discerned cycle, it's just an average.

So it turns out the world is not gearing up to end or facing disaster thanks to a 188 day quake cycle, sorry doomphiles

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Has Terral emerged from hiding yet from the 3/22 debacle?

You know, the one where he said a huge cataclysmic event will take place on that date, as we're aligned with that heavy mass object that's supposedly incoming?

You know, the one no one can find?

You know, the one that's been seen next to the sun, behind the sun, attached to the sun by a filament, emerging from a triangle in the sun, only visible from the South Pole, yadda yadda yadda?

S+F.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

The problem with the peddlers of this stuff is that they usually leave room for error or some kind of out through which they can back-pedal when their prediction turns out to be BS. I remember that the supposed 188 days was actually anything within 2-4 days margin of error, which ups the odds of a quake happening.

Even when they fail to make an accurate prediction they can just claim that they are "only human" and suddenly any detractors or skeptics are seen as bullies and the believers come out to irrationally defend them.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
misleading title is misleading...

sorry.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Wait, wasn't it a 188 day cycle like 2 weeks ago? Now its 242 days?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Well actually that's kinda the idea, to get the believers in the previous Earth cycle to assume that this post will just confirm their preconceived notion.

There IS a 242 cycle, one with more data points than the 188 day cycle, only the reason both cycles exist isn't some prophetic prediction or epiphany about the way the world works, it's simple statistics.

reply to post by ArrowsNV

Please watch the video and read the entire OP before commenting. Both cycles are just the result of selectively choosing quakes that fit the so-called cycle while ignoring all the major quakes that deviate from them.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wait a minute, wait a minute......the 188 or 186 day cycle was stated to have a 15 day +- window....so technically you call it crap till 4/10/12.....THEN ITS CRAP!! Lol.....totally think its crap though, MHO....I'm with the OP on this whole subject, earthquakes happen all the damn time....the only cycle involved here is the cycle of life!

Peace out!
edit on 6/4/2012 by PROT3CTOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

In actuality there is a major quake every 17-19 days on average, but that isn't some prophetically discerned cycle, it's just an average.

It does seem logical however that there should be some way to find a pattern. Earthquakes are reactionary events. What we need to figure out is the action that causes the reaction. Eventually we will be able to predict with very good accuracy when a earthquake is due to hit and when.

But, ya..I don't think we have any public tools that would allow for this as of yet...maybe when we can one day study the earths core spin or something and understand the algorithm at work that causes shifting.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I predict a earthquake will hit every 365 days..with a plus or minus of 365 days. If I am wrong, I will eat a bug.

My predictions are always accurate...(so long as I avoid specifics)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There is a big difference between scientific attempts to predict quakes, which likely deal with tectonic pressures, volcanism, seismographic readings and all manner of stuff I have no idea about - and the "Earthquake Code" predictions which just look for a pattern in the numbers and pretend it's something significant.

It may be that we will one day be able to predict quakes extremely well but never just by looking for "cycles" amongst quake statistics.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by SaturnFX

There is a big difference between scientific attempts to predict quakes, which likely deal with tectonic pressures, volcanism, seismographic readings and all manner of stuff I have no idea about - and the "Earthquake Code" predictions which just look for a pattern in the numbers and pretend it's something significant.

It may be that we will one day be able to predict quakes extremely well but never just by looking for "cycles" amongst quake statistics.

Never know dude, earthquakes may be doing Pi.

Why -couldn't- there be a numerical cycle to it? Sure, science is behind it most definately, but I am pretty sure that there is a numerical algorithm that can be eventually understood. No, I don't buy the 188 or whatever days..because, well, it should be like clockwork if it was that..timed down to the second actually...but, point is, there very well could be some sort of occurance. And ya, all you said will have to be studied and more in order to find that numerical solution.

Chaos is only misunderstood complexity...and complexity is simply abundant simplicity. So..its simple really..just on a massive scope

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
O goody... Another I told you so post. I predicted this one...

Personally... I like to read people's ideas... Even if it turns out to be ....nothing. Sometimes...clues that people bring up or find... Just because they may be wrong about the direction they're going doesn't make the clue less important.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Given a large enough sample all kinds of "cycles" will appear. Given enough of a fudge factor the number of "cycles" will increase dramatically.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
O goody... Another I told you so post. I predicted this one...

Personally... I like to read people's ideas... Even if it turns out to be ....nothing. Sometimes...clues that people bring up or find... Just because they may be wrong about the direction they're going doesn't make the clue less important.

Except most of these "ideas" go far beyond that. It's usually fear mongering for the joy of it.

When I'm threatened with "your knees will freeze and your liver will quiver" or "mark it on your calendar, and enjoy the ride" then please expect the ridicule to come flying when your doom peddling craps out.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

I agree w/ you...point taken. Very good point to make....

I think it's the sarcasm against the ones that aren't trying to fear monger...the ones that are bringing up very valid clues about some event...those are the ones that are important and they don't need people cutting them down for it with the " I told you so attitude "

As someone said.. At 1 point people truly believed our Earth was flat....they would lose thier lives over it. If we gathered their ideas for believing it was round ....we might have figured it out sooner.

Anyways... Just wanted to let you know that you made a great point...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Ha! I think I must have watched too many basement-made videos in the last while, because what impressed me most was the professional quality of the video. Masterful and humourous way to deliver a message. Thanks. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Ideas are perfectly welcome however they should earn acceptance by their merits, by their accuracy or the evidence behind them. When shown to have nothing behind them such ideas should be left behind at least by those who care about whether they're true or not.

I don't think I'm telling people "I told you so" more I'm telling people "I think you're wrong and here's why and here's a video that explains it nicely."

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What's weird is, someone as apparently clever as you cares enough to make this thread knowing that people will believe what they want to believe. The people who were already on your side of thinking came in and rooted your horn, and the ones who believed in the cycle ignored this or found other ways to show their discontent, while those in the middle (the smartest out of the lot, imo, since we in fact do not know) said "maybe, maybe not, maybe this, maybe that".

People should stop trying to change other people's minds. A wiser course of action would be to realize that people are all different for a reason and then try to find out what that reason is. Try to figure out how different ways of thinking can be useful. You know places like DAARPA, NASA, Lockheed Martin, have what I think is called a Skunk Works Department where people who think all crazy, like the ones whose mind you're trying to change, come up with crazy ideas? And when one of them works, a great advancement is usually made in that area of science. Think about that for a moment and you may be compelled to rethink your approach when presenting your own opinion, which is also very valuable as a piece to the puzzle called the human experience. For example, you might decide to refrain from taking the assumptive stance that we have already come to a conclusion when the equipment needed to test the hypotheses has yet to be dreamt of.

But what's even more weird is that I cared enough to type this post!

top topics

join