Navy confirms jet has crashed in Virginia Beach

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Best account so far

“First we saw (the jet) circling around, doing its normal routine. Then we heard a ‘Boom!,’ like a very loud car backfiring, and we looked and saw smoke coming off the plane," Ruby Gordy, 38, a neighbor who was sitting outside her building across the street, told the Daily News.

"We saw the pilots try to stabilize the plane for a few seconds, and then the canopy released. They ejected right at the tree line," she recalled. "We saw the ‘chutes, but they just looked like streamers. They didn't even have a chance to really open."

Gordy and her roommate ran to the burning complex to warn residents to flee.

She said the pilot was still strapped to his seat on the ground outside, his parachute tangled on the building.

Her roommate helped move him behind a Dumpster to protect him from flying debris.

"He kept asking if everyone was okay. That was his main concern. We were worried about his legs, but he was more concerned about the people in the building," she said.

Some seven people suffered non-life threatening injuries including smoke inhalation, officials said.

"Everything was red and everything was on fire and then black smoke started to come out and then we heard noises like ‘Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!” resident Joan Coleman, 87, told WAVY TV.

Worried the explosions were from live ammunition onboard the wreckage, she ran to the back of the building.

There she saw the pilot on the ground, his face covered with blood.

"One of the guys said to him, 'Are you okay?" and he said, 'I'm not really sure.' He was in shock, but he said, 'I'm sorry for destroying your home,'" she recalled.

She said the pilot "realized he had some kind of a problem, and he was trying to turn back around...so that he wouldn't hit here."

Witnesses reported the release of fuel from the crippled jet before it went down, leading some to believe the pilots were trying to mitigate damage on the ground.

Weisgerber said the fuel release appeared to be part of the "malfunction," which happened shortly after takeoff.

He added there were no indications a bird was sucked into an engine — the cause of the Miracle on the Hudson landing from a few years ago.

Also Note it also states:
Officials warned locals to stay away from the crash site because smoke from the burned jet fuel could contain harmful carbon fibers.

edit on 6-4-2012 by relocator because: added also note

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Why are there 3 threads about this. No one died, The pilot ejected , dumped most of the fuel out and then apolgized to the people that lived there.

What i don't understand is why 3 of pretty much the same thing is so popular and why haven't the mods fixed this?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

the first thing the pilot said was sorry hope no one was hurt
hope he doesnt get the blame

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

No reported deaths but three elderly residents of apartment block are unaccounted for

Two pilots - a student and an instructor - ejected from aircraft before impact

Both pilots among those taken to hospital; one was heard apologising for crashing into residential buildings
Five civilians - including one police officer - also hospitalised but released by evening

Source

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

The type of jet involved is described by the Navy as an F/A-18D Hornet – a “multi-role attack and fighter aircraft” built at a unit cost of $29 million. It has a wing span of 40 feet and is capable of achieving speeds greater than Mach 1.7.

In December 2008, the same model of jet crashed in California, killing several members of one family and destroying two homes.

Another good news report with video

Good Video...

edit on 7-4-2012 by relocator because: Video so good....added

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
The witness said he plays tennis in the area, and has been noticing this riskier behaviour over the last few months.
edit on 6-4-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

We had a similar incident in the UK.
This event can only be either human error or mechanical failure - and with reports from those in the area suggesting some potentially irresponsible flight behavior I think I know what my money is on.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Im surprised that there arnt more crashes..

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Thats what happens when you have residential areas built up around military bases. Have the same issue here in So.Calif.

I'm just glad they were able to dump fuel prior to the crash and casualties don't appear to be too serious.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I did not see this posted anywhere yet so im adding it here because i feel its very important. A guy living there in Virginia filmed the alledged US Navy F18 minutes prior to it crashing. The footage shows the fighterjet intercepting a structured object appearing to be a cessna or smaller airplane. The fighterjet circles for some time before it crashed. Which doesnt really corroberate the US Navy's explanation of a "major catostrophic malfunction" happening. If something SUDDENLY AND UNEXPECTEDLY went wrong one would think the crash would have happened sooner or the obvious the pilot would have made an attempt to return to base. Not circle the residential skies and the fact it is circling a smaller plane is really suspicious. Strange how back in December they US Navy there did a training exercise that prepared for exactly what happened yesterday. Also what are the odds that no one was killed in that apartment complex? No one was home in any of them? Just offering up some questions that need to be discussed.

Please view this footage of the F18 prior to it crashing. Thanks.

Oh yeah, BTW interesting none of the media has caught onto this footage and showed it

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This may be off topic but there is so much left of the plane on the ground and it's a much smaller plane than a Boeing 747. Maybe I'm just crazy.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
this though, makes me sick: from cnn..

A U.S. Navy admiral said Saturday that the fiery crash of a fighter jet into apartment buildings in the military community of Virginia Beach matches his definition of a miracle. No one was killed and everyone was accounted for one day after the accident. "I don't speak for anybody's religious beliefs, but the mayor and I both agreed that if you want to define a miracle, what happened here yesterday meets that definition for me," Adm. John Harvey, the four-star head of the U.S. Fleet Forces Command, told reporters. He said the Navy is investigating the crash, but noted it will take weeks to determine exactly what happened. "We will not rush to judgment. We will get everything down. We will examine it carefully," he said. "We'll fix whatever went wrong."

oh yeah? not rush to judgment? well, i guess the government that had a credible list of hijackers that "crashed" on 9/11 is to be well believed.

this may be just an accident but reading that statement made me nauseous.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by andboycott

A miracle? I dont understand how a few hours after the crash the media was reporting "No one killed". Did they extinguish the fire & sift through all debris THAT quickly?? The odds of no one being killed or in their apt at that time are unlikely. Just saying, im not hoping for people to be found dead.Considering the eye witness locals confirm theres alot of retired elderly that live in the complex..Everyone was out shopping or not home?? That building was practically leveled. Its just odd how they are trying to sweep this "accident" under the rug already. "Like whew! gosh, so glad no one was killed, thanks first responders and to the community..nothing to see here we all can go on with our lives."...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join