It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy confirms jet has crashed in Virginia Beach

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So can jets it hacked?

Do they by chance get parts for these planes from china?

I lived in VA for over 30 years and never heard or seen of anything like this happening before. I grew up on the James River and spent many summer days crusing up and down from Hopewell to VA Beach. I've spent many years watching them skies and water ways.

My son recently experienced problems with defective parts on his scooter. He was riding down the road flowing with traffic and all of a sudden the scooter fell apart on him causing him to crash. Traffic kept on going..of course...screw the kid on the scooter...anywho....come to find out it was due to a defective Honda Part. Honda is considering paying for his medical bills and repairs to the scooter...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Still no word of any fatalities thank goodness.Luckily the pilot had the time to jettison his fuel before he crashed.I think it could have been much worse.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Thanks for sharing this with us so quickly...

Terrible accident... I hope the losses were few (and pray there were none at all.) But I suspect that is too much to ask for.

I wonder what may have gone wrong?

Very latest on our local news. ( I am across the river in Hampton Va) so far no casualties. It is after 7pm now. This does seem that we got very very lucky today as far as this crash goes.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I found this comment interesting...

worked airline records dept for years, and you would be surprised how many are. and many failed our QC.
accounting dept sets up buys w/o even considering if we have a bilateral agreement (needed for FAA certification on foreign parts) to allow use of JAA form 1 or FAA 8130 forms.
I've personally kicked some parts that cost 500k or more over it, quarantined and sent to FAA.
non certified parts is a HUGE issue in civilian air side of it but letting ANY foreign factory make one SINGLE part for our military is stupidity at its highest level.
and its been happening for years.

Link and Video

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
So can jets it hacked?

I lived in VA for over 30 years and never heard or seen of anything like this happening before. I grew up on the James River and spent many summer days crusing up and down from Hopewell to VA Beach. I've spent many years watching them skies and water ways.

My son recently experienced problems with defective parts on his scooter. He was riding down the road flowing with traffic and all of a sudden the scooter fell apart on him causing him to crash. Traffic kept on going..of course...screw the kid on the scooter...anywho....come to find out it was due to a defective Honda Part. Honda is considering paying for his medical bills and repairs to the scooter...

Can they be hacked? No. Only by someone with direct access to them, and it would be sabotage, not hacking.
Do they get parts from China? More than likely. They do outsource parts to many countries, so it wouldn't be any surprise if they did. In fact, I've seen people say we get a lot of guidance tech from N. Korea!

As far as not crashing, they have training crashes fairly often, but in relation to the number of flights they conduct it is an extremely low number! Especially considering the high performance of their craft, and the types of maneuvers they fly. It is amazing how little they do crash. These pilots are pretty awesome!

Which brings me to my next point.... I am so happy to hear there are no deaths so far! This will be especially important to the pilot. If the accounts so far are true, he really did everything he could to the very last second to avoid the unthinkable tragedy of crashing into housing, yet it hit the housing anyway, and that has to be weighing heavily on his heart, so if there are no serious casualties it will be a huge relief to the pilot!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

They train over the Atlantic but the plane was in distress and was making its way to the ocean front only a few more blocks to the east. Unfortunately they didnt make it there.
The guy on CNN who said these guys take risks is not correct. These guys take the utmost care when flying over residential areas. They dont for the most part. They take off and land over the water. They train over the water. They have laws on the books here to regulate their use.
This area is very very heavy in military bases. We are surrounded. There are over 130 installations in the state and most are in the south east region here in hampton roads . We rely heavily on the personnel from these bases for our retail businesses. Other than military we have tourist which is seasonal. Without the military we are just another beach on the Atlantic coast.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Local news is talking about another crash near this site in 1986. Different plane.
It went down on Oceana Blvd killing the two pilots and a woman in a car on the roadway.
I have lived in Hampton for 21 years and this is the first crash since I moved here. I am blocks away from Langley Air Force Base so I worry. I was in NY in ' 75 when the Pan Am jet went down on Rockaway Blvd near JFK. Everyone died in that crash including a baby the same age that my first child was at that time. Tragic.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well we may need to add another one to the list....

The Senate Armed Services Committee found counterfeit parts -- usually from China -- on at least seven aircraft, including the Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) C-130J transport plane, Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol and L-3 27J Spartan transport.

Source

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

Local news confirms the pregnancy. They mentioned it earlier on WAVY TV 10 and pulled their archived film footage of the '86 crash. Eerily like the scene today.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Well you can be angry if you want but the situation was not one where any untrained person could just go up and help. There was thick black smoke and billowing flames coming from the complex. Not a situation for heroics from the general public. The folks in the neighborhood did and continue to help where they can. A local kid helped cut the strap from one of the pilots parachutes where he was stuck on a roof.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Well they dont but asked and answered I guess. They train over the water. The plane just never made it that far. It was only two more blocks to the ocean front.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
From a news article on the 1986 crash...

The Navy and witnesses said the A-6E Intruder had just taken off from Oceana Naval Air Station when it crashed in a field and skidded across a Oceana Boulevard.

''We saw flames and a lot of smoke and I heard a big bang,'' said Debbie Chiavaroli, who was in a nearby car. The plane was flying low over the trees with flames showing at its rear just before the crash, she said.

''I looked in my rearview mirror, and all I saw was fire and black smoke everywhere,'' said Marjorie Craighead, who was driving north on the boulevard with her 3-year-old daughter immediately in front of the station wagon that was hit. ''Somebody out there is with me. That car behind me was gone. It just blew up.''

The Navy identified the crewmen as Lt. James P. Hoban, 26, of River Vale, N.J., the pilot; and Lt. Michael F. Wilson, 27, of Medford Lakes, N.J., the bombardier-navigator.

The woman who died was Tammy Fowler, 25, of Virginia Beach, authorities said. Her husband, David Fowler, is a sailor based in Norfolk.

www.wavy.com

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by relocator
So can jets it hacked?

In fact, I've seen people say we get a lot of guidance tech from N. Korea!

I've heard this before as well-China or N. Korea- (I should probably look for the source). Anyhow, I always thought it strange that we would have the guidance systems for our ICBMs purchased from or manufactured by the very folks we're likely gonna want to use them on.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Found this comment distrubing..

During the report of the Virginia Beach Fire Department Spokesperson he voiced concerned in respect to "carbon fiber" . As someone who was involved in the 1996 F14 crash at Oceana, a great deal of concern was placed upon the carbon fibers which we were told contained the radioactive isotope Barium, which strengthen the air frame. In its fixed state it is harmless but once airborne poses issues. I wonder if it is the case here with the police, fire and rescue wearing dust masks. Don't believe for a moment it is for the JP-5 fumes.

Source

More F18 ejection history...Source
edit on 6-4-2012 by relocator because: added another link

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

They train over the Atlantic but the plane was in distress and was making its way to the ocean front only a few more blocks to the east. Unfortunately they didnt make it there.
The guy on CNN who said these guys take risks is not correct. These guys take the utmost care when flying over residential areas. They dont for the most part. They take off and land over the water. They train over the water. They have laws on the books here to regulate their use.
This area is very very heavy in military bases. We are surrounded. There are over 130 installations in the state and most are in the south east region here in hampton roads . We rely heavily on the personnel from these bases for our retail businesses. Other than military we have tourist which is seasonal. Without the military we are just another beach on the Atlantic coast.

That`s good that they train over the water. I was going by what the witness on CNN said, and no one on TV corrected him. I thought it odd that they would be allowed to do risky maneuvers over people`s homes.

A few years ago, a fighter plane flew low over Vancouver (BC), and the pilot got hell for it. It turned out he was showing off for his girlfriend, and was in major trouble for it. It was a strange, unnerving sight. It scared a lot of people, no one could figure out what a fighter plane was doing in our skies.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Carbon Fiber is in everything these days, including your dashboard of your car. There are also toxic fumes in just about everything if it is burned or melted.

I think the gas masks are for the small particulates contained in all smoke, because they wouldn't do anything against radiation anyway.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I agree all these planes falling out
is result of the attack on the military
by this POTUS and admin.

I have not seen them cut back on
vacation spending and kobioshi
meatballs... We eat cake you eat
worms. We fly safe, we cut your
jet repair spending..

Anyone see the sign?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It seems that more of us are more interested then we were back on 3-30-2004...

This thread on a F18 crashing got no flags....

See www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

That event was much more mundane!

The one-seat plane, based at the Naval Air Station Atlanta, went down about 11 a.m. and hit some trees about 30 miles north of Chattanooga, the Navy said. No one on the ground was injured.

Didn't hit a high-rise residential building, and didn't have immediate video and news coverage. No threat of mass casualties, etc.

1-car fatal accidents are in every morning's news paper in small print on a backpage, but 15 car pileups are on the front page!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well here's another thread I found interesting...

Originally posted by RichardPrice

Originally posted by C0bzz
Accidents happen, however we must remember that the F/A-18F has two engines, and additionally planes take the risk of ingesting a bird every time they fly - especially when taking off and landing, or at airshows. Accidents do not happen often.

The issue with that is that the airport takes proactive efforts to manage the local bird population, and the aircraft taking off or landing passes through the threat area very quickly, on a trajectory which precludes them from striking surround obstacles.

Secondly, normal airshows have a minimum display height which is above the statistical bird strike area, and this particular display in this case was cleared to significantly below that minimum by the FAA. This is also abnormal because it was clearly below the height of surrounding obstructions, also a huge no no in display flying.

Thirdly, losing an engine is no laughing matter, no matter how many engines you have - an F/A-18F losing a single engine will also suffer from reduced hydraulics, reduced electronics and of course reduced power. Also it is not unknown for a bird strike to affect both engines, especially if the aircraft strikes a flock of birds (infact, it would probably be more likely for both engines on a fighter jet to be affected during a bird strike in such circumstances than not, as the intakes are close together).

Also recall the F/A/-18D crash last year - the jet suffered an oil pressure failure in the right engine, which the pilot then shut down. The left engine then failed while the aircraft was diverting to a ground base, resulting in the crash. Both engines failed.

Lets not beat around the bush here shall we - we are not talking about an engine out situation in normal flight. The aircraft was very low, below the height of surrounding obstacles with the minimum of space to manouever. This was dangerous.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join