It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The JOBS (or FRAUDS) Act signed by Obama: A Disaster in the Making

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
President Obama signed the fictitiously named JOBS Act into law on Thursday. The law's intent is to limit or completely eliminate regulatory and filing requirements with the SEC for startup companies engaging in IPOs (Initial public offerings) where they're seeking venture capital and equity investment money. However, the laws definition of "startup company" encompasses 98% of all IPOs historically!

At the same hearing, Lynn Turner, formerSEC chief accountant and accounting consultant at LitiNomics, stated that by this standard, 98 percent of IPOs since 1970 would have been considered “emerging growth companies.”

source

The bill purportedly aims to create jobs by deregulating and essentially making the Sarbanes-Oxley Act null and void. Sarbanes-Oxley was passed in 2002 after the Enron fraudulent collapse to tighten accounting standards and to try and eliminate fraud in securities markets.

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (often shortened to SOX) is legislation enacted in response to the high-profile Enron and WorldCom financial scandals to protect shareholders and the general public from accounting errors and fraudulent practices in the enterprise.

source

However, financial criminologists like Bill Black (great guy - he took down the Savings and Loan scammers) says this Bill is nothing but a recipe for fraud and a way to create jobs for financial scam artists. Watch this video - great interview.

Apparently this new law will open up the door for already established mega corporations like Apple to split their companies up and start engaging in the fictitious "subsidiary" games like Enron did and to create massive financial fraud. It also opens up the door to "Crowdfunding", where seemingly real new startup companies get investment money online from the unsuspecting crowds. Remember back to the Tech bubble where startup companies bought domain names and did IPOs with no intent of actually producing a product or providing a service? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah! It's the American way!

Many experts say the JOBS Act won't do anything to help small businesses as funding is rarely a problem for startup businesses. Having a viable product or service and good management are more important.

It's a common fault of many start-up ventures that they pay more attention to raising capital than to building a viable business. I speak from firsthand experience. A dozen or so years ago I worked in a couple of Internet start-ups that had big plans and tried to raise big money. In one of them we burned through around $10 million of other people's money without a single dollar in revenue before the investors finally pulled the plug.

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, there are at least 10 reasons for small business failure. Lack of funds is one, but the other nine are lack of experience, poor location, poor inventory management, over-investment in fixed assets, poor credit management, personal use of business funds, unexpected growth, competition, and low sales. The JOBS Act won't do much about these.

source

It's my belief this law is simply a way for the largest organized criminal outfit (Wall Street) to steal more money from the masses. Yes, some jobs will be created, but many more will be lost because this law simply opens up the door for fraudulent money changing. Nothing more, nothing less. The US's and multi-national corporations manufacturing base is long gone in the US and we can't sustain a service based economy based on trade deficits, so why not balloon up one more giant fraudulent bubble before the party finally ends?

And Remember, Obama the savior signed it into law. Republicans heavily pushed this bill. In fact, it was completely bi-partisan. This is a clear cut example that in the backrooms, Wall Street and corporate America own the government. Democrats = Republicans on the big issues of finance, war, and peace. This is also one area where I completely disagree with Ron Paul. We see time and time again that financial de-regulation leads to rampant fraud and corruption. It's what brought the world economy to it's knees in 2008 over the housing/mortgage securities bubble.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
When Republicans and Democrats work together everyone get's screwed.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
From the Seeking Alpha article above:

"It is sad that the only time, apparently, that Democrats and Republicans can come together in a spirit of bipartisan cooperation is when they are both completely wrong about everything."

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hey, whatever it takes to create the illusion of job growth in a stagnant economy to get reelected. That's the important thing, all other concerns are secondary. Now please be quiet while we tattoo your government employee number on your forehead.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

So, more importantly, how can the average person exploit this act? I know the giant corporations will already have teams of lawyers and researchers finding the ways to exploit and get richer from any new law, but how does an average person do it?

Can I now start an "emerging growth" company, with a mere business plan and address, and list it as an IPO and get millions of dollars in capital to grow my business?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just saw a great comment in the replies to a Reuters (aka Obama's news agency) article supporting this new Bill:

"Watch these "start ups" be repackaged as ETF's."

Brilliant observation. The scam artists on Wall Street will create new financial products based on the bundling of new startups, turn them into new securities, and sell them, similar to Mortgage securities that were based on a fictitiously created housing bubble.

BRILLIANT.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Drew99GT

So, more importantly, how can the average person exploit this act? I know the giant corporations will already have teams of lawyers and researchers finding the ways to exploit and get richer from any new law, but how does an average person do it?

Can I now start an "emerging growth" company, with a mere business plan and address, and list it as an IPO and get millions of dollars in capital to grow my business?

Yup. Go online and seek "Crowdfunding" money. Start a Facebook page. Create a fake carpet cleaning company like this guy did!

www.bloomberg.com...

I'm starting to think that over the past 3 decades the largest component of US GDP is the branding, selling, and repackaging of bull s*$t. Since the boom ended after WWII and the baby boom generation of mass productivity, bull s*$t has become the number one industry, and without it, the US would collapse!

George Carlin had a great bit about that. If truth and honesty were forced into the US economy, the system would collapse!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is the worst part of the legislation. I mean, SERIOUSLY? Only 2 years of audited financial statements required for an IPO? No audit of internal financial controls for 5 YEARS? That means a "startup" can cook the books with no internal audits of accounting controls and create crappy financial statements that an auditor would have a hard time finding the fraud!

www.nuwireinvestor.com...

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i have to say it does sound pretty stupid. in this crappy economy you want to give people money to start businesses when no one is buying anything!!! gas and groceries are sky high and you expect people to support these new businesses? they are gonna go belly up faster than you can spell failure!!! the businesses that are around are struggling to stay afloat as is! maybe what they should do is get the businesses to bring the jobs back to the u.s. then maybe we can get people off the strrets and welfare and give them steady work. all this act is going to do is give people temp work til these new companies fail and all that money we borrowed them will go up in smoke, smh.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Think globally...

The best way to bring back money in the US... Maybe.

It could lure investors from outside.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

Oh, you mean China buying up even more US companies and assets. Yea, that's great...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT
From the Seeking Alpha article above:

"It is sad that the only time, apparently, that Democrats and Republicans can come together in a spirit of bipartisan cooperation is when they are both completely wrong about everything."

They're not wrong about anything. They are cooperating because this suits their agendas.

The author of the article simply doesn't know what their true agendas are.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This has already been a problem in the stock market. Pump and dump schemes are fed to suckers as "penny stocks"....People get suckered in, thinking it will be the next Apple or Microsoft. The stocks are manipulated, showing that they are rising fast, and a bunch of people get on the bandwagon hoping to make their fortune. Overnight, the stocks plummet to almost zero (I've seen some go down to a quarter of a penny per share) and the folks who went bullish on them lose all their money.

Often research on these companies show that they have no product, no sales, and the address given as the "corporate headquarters" ends up being an abandoned building or a non-existent address.

Just google "penny stocks" and notice all the "helpful" e-mail alerts you can sign up for, so they can alert you to the next "rising star". LMAO.....If these companies were really shooting up like rockets, they certainly wouldn't give the information away for free. Even supposedly reputable MSM news outlets like Bloomberg engage in this pump and dump stuff all the time (whether it is Groupon or Tesla).

All this law does is separate the investor from his money quicker than ever before.

The JOBS act just makes the stock market even more of a mine-field and a dangerous rip-off than it already is.

new topics

top topics

join