It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can internet censorship even be possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I came to raise a question about how the goverment could practice internet censoring. Now I'm not asking in what are the methods but the theory in general.

I mean think about it. The internet is nothing you can hold nor is technically claimed by any nation. Every website is it's own government. For instance some forums you can discuss (d word) and some you cannot, it is all about the ToA. So wouldn't that mean the internet is real world governmentless? Now the government could shut down the internet.. but censorship is a much different story.

On the internet there is no law but the ones you accept upon entering a site.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

The Internet can be censored.

Try getting an IP in north Korea sometime.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

You're missing the whole question.. I know it CAN be censored.. I'm asking how is the theory of it even justifiable.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
China.

The censorship of not only the internet but various online games is... ludicrous.

It's all about controlling content, ie, letting us see what they want us to see, and remove our freedoms.
edit on 6/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I dont think goverments would actively censor. In fact they would probably be quite happy for all web sites to contain material thats deemed inappropriate.

The purpose of laws to censor would be to allow agencies to threaten businesses and interest groups etc with shut down due to the fact their sites contain inappropriate material and use this as an excuse to access logs and records.

Basically they dont care whats said in general. They just need easier ways to control specific targets.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

You're missing the whole question.. I know it CAN be censored.. I'm asking how is the theory of it even justifiable.

People can justify anything.

Hitler, Pol Pot, Jim Jones, Anders Breivik, Stalin, Mao...shall I go on?

Justification is the easiest part of any insanity.

In the western world it would take the form of alleged "protecting" from harrassment, racism, bullying and the like, maybe?
edit on 6-4-2012 by SilentThundersGF because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
remember the server has to be physically located somewhere and whereever that is will be under that nations laws

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Here's an article to read. It's a few pages long though:

computer.howstuffworks.com...

In short:

Most Web filters use two main techniques to block content: Blacklists and keyword blocking.

Firewalls.

Web filtering software.

Surveillance.

And starting in July many ISP providers will start monitoring bandwidth usage and start putting spyware on your computer so that they can have access to your computer and monitor what you're doing.

arstechnica.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's simple:

You censor it.

"Today, we censor the internet. Anyone caught on a Conspiracy site will be monitored and brought up on charges of sedition, a crime with a maximum punishment of Death."

And just like that, the majority of folks would stop going. The possible risk outweighs the gains. The average person will think: I'm curious... but not that damn curious.

Then you throw out a few convictions, a minor infraction, two major ones, then the big kahuna: THE DEATH PENALTY. You advertise the hell out of it, then... tada! The majority of the population will now censor ITSELF.

The plan is not to censor the internet, but to censor the citizens. To restrict the flow of information, and to control the actions of an entire population using the smallest means possible. I'm not saying it'll go down like that, that's an extreme case, but one that would work.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
We're from the government. We're here to help.

We will PROTECT you because there are PEDOPHILES EVERYWHERE ONLINE!!! THEY ARE TRYING TO GET YOUR CHILDREN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

That's all it takes. Works on everyone every day. Hook, line and sinker.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

What they will do is go to all the ISP's. Like mine is frontier. They will make frontier block access to those sites so I can't view them. They don't actually censor the internet they just filter it.

new topics

top topics

join