It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1897 UFO wave in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This period and other pre1947 incidents are summarized in this link

www.nicap.org...
Here are a few >>
March 26, 1897; Sioux City, Iowa
Approximate date. Robert Hibnight bard was caught by an anchor dropped from an unknown flying machine 22 km north of the town. He was dragged over 10 m and fell as his clothes were torn. (Magonia #11, FSR 66, 4)

March 28, 1897; Omaha, Nebraska
10:30 p.m. The majority of the population observed an object arriving from the southeast. It looked like a huge light, flew northwestward slowly, came to low altitude. A crowd gathered at a street corner to watch it. (Magonia #12, 185)

April 1, 1897; Everest, Kansas
9:00 p.m. The whole town saw an object fly under the cloud ceiling. It came down slowly, then flew away very fast to the southeast. When directly over the town it swept the ground with its powerful light. It was seen to rise up at fantastic speed until barely discernible, then to come down again and sweep low over the witnesses. At one point it remained stationary for 5 min at the edge of a low cloud, which it illuminated. All could clearly see the silhouette of the craft. (Magonia #13, FSR 66, 4)

April 12, 1897; Nilwood, Illinois
2:30 p.m. On the property of Z. Thacker, 19 km north of Carlinville, an unknown object landed. Before the three witnesses could reach it, the craft, which was shaped like a cigar with a dome, rose slowly and left majestically toward the north. Witnesses: Edward Teeples, William Street and Franklin Metcalf. (Magonia #14, 186; Anatomy 12)

Apr. 12, 1897 Girard, near Green Ridge, Illinois
6:00 p.m. A large crowd of miners saw an unknown object land 3 km north of Green Ridge and 4 km south of Girard. The night operator of the Chicago-and-Alton Railroad, Paul McCramer, stated that he came sufficiently close to the craft to see a man emerge from it to repair the machinery. Traces were found over a large area. The object itself was elongated like a ship with a roof and a double canopy. It left toward the north. (Magonia #15, 186,187)

April 14, 1897; Gas City, Indiana
3:00 p.m. An object landed 2 km south of Gas City on the property of John Roush, terrifying the farmers and causing the horses and cattle to stampede. Six occupants of the ship came out and seemed to make some repairs. Before the crowd could approach the object, it rose rapidly and flew toward the east. (Magonia #16, 188)

I guess they could be a blimp or balloon. Balloons were not new then? Used in the civil war I believe. But various accounts include attempted obduction of cattle, attacks on people. Just vary strange. Sometimes they leave slowly other times seem to go fast. Whatever the "airships" seem to need repaired a lot.

Other ATS links address this time as well
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Most recently..

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If it was the same craft, the craft sure moved slowly. I suspect this flap may have been due to that exciting new technology: the telegraph. Think about it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Came across some explanations

www.kevinabarnes.com...
>>
early antigravity John Keely

Aliens

PT Barnum

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

And, there are literally dozens of such reports. One major one I don't see here is one I found in an old Champaign-Urbana newspaper from that time. The craft crashed on a farm and a farmer buried the two Asian-looking occupants before the reporter arrived on the scene. No mention was made of the wrecked UFO.

Another one from that era happened in Kanas where a UFO came down and roped a heifer and attempted to pull it up. But its hoof got caught in a fence and the owner and his workers came out to see it. It, however, eventually escaped.

Both of these and many others were blatant hoaxes created by newspapers in those days. That period of time is called "Yellow Journalism." Few of those stories can be taken seriously. There were strange things in the skies in those days, and undoubtedly some were true UFOs, but newspapers were usually hawked on the streets and the better the story shouted by the young sellers the more the sales.

Newspaper were much more prevelent in those days. About every town of any size had one or more and competition was intense. The relatively new telegraph flashed these stories across the US.
If one light or object was reported in New York one day, it was not unusual for a similar object to been seen in six other locations the next day--according to those local newspapers. In other words a contagion of hoaxes would follow.

As frequently happens when these 1890s "UFO" stories are put together by modern writers, they don't include the known hoax stories. In that way, theUFO stories they present of that era appear more substantial than they really are. .

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
A few UFO reports appeared here and there in the U.S. Weather Bureau's monthly Weather Review in those days, too.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

ah yes, the airships.

As I understand it, these sightings are commonly attributed to DIY inventors with their own attempts at powered flight using airships/balloons/zepplins/whatever they were.

I recommend looking into Charles Dellschau en.wikipedia.org...

He had a thing for airships. There a book titled The Secrets of Charles Dellschau, I recommend reading.

Here's link to site with some of Dellschau's art: CharlesDellschau.com

Not really UFOs, but airships.

There's also the Aurora, Texas incident which supposedly involved an airship/ufo crashing with a pilot's body recovered.

Search function can find a number of threads on this, dellschau, and airships.

Also of note, there's some subscription to many of these reports being the result of what has been described as 'yellow journalism' where the accounts are anything but factual.

edit on 6-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join