It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have your Survival / Preppers Kit ready ?? Time to share mine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I have shopped with these guys
www.bridensolutions.ca...

I am rigged for canoe tripping
so all the basics are covered there
I think it is a good idea to go have fun surviving so that come the day
so things aren't a big surprise.

Thanks for the site
they have so much food reserve package.. perfect for a bunker

Take a look at this site Pryma Contact
all the survival stuff you need is there

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Real Canadians are born prepared thank -you very much !!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I think it is a good idea to go have fun surviving so that come the day
so things aren't a big surprise.

That's very good advice. Experience is everything.

I did that a few weeks ago. I got my mate to dump me out bush on the 16th March and pick me up on the 22nd. All I ate was rice and nuts, and only one meal a day. I like to force my body to burn fat by eating a minimum amount of food.

If you have a lot of toxins in your body, you will know about it the first two days. You will experience nausia and headaches as the toxins stored in the fatty tissue are released into the bloodstream. Unexperienced people used to 3 meals a day will feel like they're dying because they haven't eaten, and in a group, this could easily make them become mutinous. They won't understand that if they endure it, it will pass, and then they will start feeling really good instead. If you have seen what happens to the contestants on The Biggest Loser the first week you will know what to expect.

People who have no experience "surviving" tend to worry about food, water and shelter. In that order. Personally, I'd worry about shelter, water and then food. (Depending on the climate, I may put water first).

ETA: Carry salt and sugar too. Using energy and having none of these in your food can be disasterous. If your body runs low on sugar, you will start to feel weak in the knees. Have a teaspoon or two and you will be fine in an hour or so.

edit on 6/4/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I did that a few weeks ago. I got my mate to dump me out bush on the 16th March and pick me up on the 22nd. All I ate was rice and nuts, and only one meal a day. I like to force my body to burn fat by eating a minimum amount of food.

Thats interesting .. would love to try that and chalenge myself
but i always work work work

I think im ready to survive in the forest
a long time ago i was often in the forest dojng camping .. not anymore

I guess i will have the time to get experience when TSRHTF

now i barely have time for myself and seeing the familly

I have a week off in 3 weeks
should i go in the forest to get experience
edit on 4/6/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
In a all out shtf scenario I have another issue that requires me to have a gun on hand and ready to go. Man to man, I feel that I have just as good as chance at coming out on top as the next person. Another man does not really worry me that much.

If shtf, one thing concerns me is animals. Most areas have zoos in the area and if some of those animals escape, such as apex predators, this could add another element to the survival scenario. In my location, I have a zoo 70 miles to the north and another 60 miles to the west. Should lions and tigers and other apex predators get loose, I do not think 70 miles is much of a distance for these animals to cover in a short amount of time. This is another reason to have guns as part of our survival package. I would much rather fight another man than to have to fight a lion. I do hope however, that zoos have a operational procedure that in the event of certain incidents and time permitting they put the big predators down before abandoning the zoo.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

The damage is occured when the primer goes off in the primer pocket, the flash hole is too small without the resistance of the bullet and will back the primer out of the pocket.
This can be remedied by oversizing the flash hole with a drill bit to allow the escape of the gasses.
So if the primer backs out it could jam a revolver or break the extractor finger in a semiauto.
So starting a fire may be possible if the wadding is flamable and loose enough with an oversized flash hole.
I'd just rather use flint or a lighter.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I use a little pencil sharpener
it realling makes fine shavings
mixed with birch bark which has flammable oil in it
it only takes a minimal spark to get started

After starting here this morning I have been on youtube looking at all the survival tips
I would really recommend youtube there is some great stuff there

Also because plants are my hobby, and sometimes my living I cant stress enough
get a really good identifier for herbs trees and shrubs
and start learning plants now

in the spring many plants are edible but they DON"T look like they do in the flower pictures you normally see
so learning each local plant start to finish is important

also with big Phara, and gmo, and everything else thats dangerous about food from away
we may have to find other cures and eat something else...it may not be a shtf scenario...
It may just be life

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

NO food? NO weapons? and NO medicines?

I have a bug out bag for 72 hours and one for 3 days the 72 hour one is about as big as your bag but the 3 day one is a big backpack filled to capacity...

You are much better prepared than most though. Add some dehydrated foods and granola energy bars and maybe some juices or hot chocolate to add to water for sugar and energy.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If you intend on being on the move, it's important to try and keep weight to a minimum. That means thinking of what you don't need instead of what you do. You will be suprised how fast weight adds up in a pack.

This is what I took a few weeks ago:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If I may suggest. A portable water purifer and/or tablets:

Knife and headlamp (mini-w/ red lens cover)

and a Kel Tec sub 2000:

Which fires almost any mag in either a 9mm or .40 cal! Only 4 pounds. $350ish

And for the more ambitious types. You can shoot/use the Glock 17 30 round mag. Google it.

I have a good bug out bag and plan-place to go etc. But unless the event(s) directly effect me etc. I am bunkering down.

Oh, and before I forget. Don't forget some type of breathing device.

You can make some from dust mask etc but when you can, get a filtered replacable one (with the breather tank to the side-so you can fire gun better).

edit on 4/6/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There are 3 scenarios here: 1. you'll never need it and someone got richer on your belief, 2. it's a conspiracy and they'll be cleaning up afterwards so you won't make it, 3. it's natural and you won't give a buck anyway! I hope no. 1 is right although I really do think something is coming up but I know I won't want to be around if there is an aftermath!!!! Anarchy isn't something I relish. Good luck anyway!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lives
reply to post by Ben81

Gun, flint, and a brain.

Sincerely that's all you need.
Add backpackers water purifier and a tarp

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
and a knife and or a good hatchet

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

Hmm, i guess you could say that if you were a very experienced prepper that knew a lot about bush craft. For most people though its important to have a basic survival kit to help them with starting fires, shelter and cooking.

Personally, i've been watching plenty of videos and reading up on wilderness survival and i really dont think "That's all you need".

In reply to the subject at hand, ive also started getting a survival kit together. I have made a big list of items, which i'm sure 75% of it wont actually make it in the bag, but its important to think about all the little things you may need. I'm buying everything obvious at the moment since i am just starting, like a good ferrocerium rod and magnesium fire starter. I've also kept some dryer lint and a good amount in a zip-lock bag to act as something to start a fire. Ill have to actually make a fire with this dryer lint to see how effective it is though...

Getting a good bag that you can wear for extended periods of time is also important and these can get expensive if you are buying at a retail store, so check Used.com or internet personal ads or auction sites to get a good deal. I refuse to pay $300 for a bag.

Anyways i'm trying to build a '72 hour kit' as they say but with the option of surviving a little longer if i have to. I'll be getting a collapsible fishing rod and small lure kit plus something to kill/trap small game if i have to. A good cooking set and water purification tablets are always good too.

Thanks for the post, i always enjoy reading up on people's bug out bags!

Cheers~

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
reply to post by Ben81

NO food? NO weapons? and NO medicines?

I have a bug out bag for 72 hours and one for 3 days the 72 hour one is about as big as your bag but the 3 day one is a big backpack filled to capacity...

You are much better prepared than most though. Add some dehydrated foods and granola energy bars and maybe some juices or hot chocolate to add to water for sugar and energy.

Food and water are to heavy and it will be a problem to carry lol

Dry food have a worse quality compare to the canned food but it can save your life
and really not heavy to carry

I have a medium knife for decoration near the kitchen on the wall
and a bb gun that really look like a real black badass gun but it is not

younger i wanted one to have fun with pepsi cans making the tiny holes
but never aimed at any living creatures .. compare to certain others

Weapons should never be used for fun and entertainement that is the FIRST RULE and
SECOND RULE if you have to defend yourself .. aim the legs first if you can
not necessary to always shoot someone in the chest ..

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
There are a few other things which i find are equally important to building your bug out bag. I know a lot of preppers out there who are all about the bag and the contents, but they forget about all the planning and mental prepping.

You need to have a general idea of where you are going to bug out to. Planning this ahead of time is pretty important, come SHTF you don't want to be ready to go but have no place to be so get yourself a spot.. at a family member's place or friend's place in the woods, take note of an area you are confident you will be safe at. Some friends and i are contemplating buying a lot somewhere in the forest where there is water and everything we would need.

Maps and a compass are another good thing to have. If you can manage to find maps of fresh water sources for your area that also good to have.

Knowing how to use and properly set up your gear is important as well. If you just bought a new compact bug out cook set, then go ahead and practice using it. Make yourself one of those disgusting freeze dried meals and enjoy : D

Do a simulation bug out i guess is what im saying, then youll know more on what you need and dont need.

Cheers~

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

and a knife and or a good hatchet

I want a portable 2ft mini axe ...that will do the trick

Almost bought one last time i went to the Canadian tire

I have found a small robust hamac easy to carry on a site for 15 Euro
maybe they have a nice one at the CT for 20$

need to return now to the CT now

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Another very good thing to pack is a tyre innertube cut up into small pieces as this bugger will burn no problem even in the rain, trust me see Ray Mears he knows what he's talking about.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I like it when people talk about their prepping stories. It always reenergizes me.

What I have is very simple. I have simple backpacks that I bought at the second-hand store and made them into 72-hour kits:

flashlight
mega-calorie bars
tolietries
water

I like the backpack style because if the shtf fan, I may not be able to drive, so I want to have the ability to hike out.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I will share this from one of my most trusted sources.

Seven Groups

The contents of survival kits can be divided into seven broad groups:

SIGNALING
EMERGENCY DEVICES
SHELTERAND PERSONAL PROTECTION
MEDICAL
WATERAND FOOD
PERSONAL SUPPLIES
MISCELLANEOUS / MULTI-PURPOSE

Many items, in fact most items, have multiple uses, an important criterion for selection of any item. These are listed in the category that best fits their primary function, but don't let that blind you from other possible uses for these supplies and equipment.

Doug Ritter Equipped to Survive
www.equipped.org...

Here is a detailed list example of the 7 Groups
www.equipped.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join