It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop talking trash about the relationship forum!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I thought about putting this in the relationship forum, but I guess its ultimately more of a rant.

First of all, how many of you even know that ATS has a relationship forum? There seem to be many who are unaware. I saw one longtime ATS member who has been here for a number of years and racked up thousands of posts taken aback to discover this not long ago.

Whatever your relationship status, I encourage you to visit it. It has become one of my favorite forums on this site.

It's bad enough that the relationship forum is unknown among many on ATS...what's worse is that it is often actively denegrated! The reason I'm starting this rant is because I see a certain comment come up again and again, along the lines of: "What kind of idiot would ask a bunch of conspiracy theorists for relationship advice?"

Why is this repeatedly said? Are conspiracy theorists not human too? Do we not have relationships like normal people?
And why is it considered that there would be no good advice there?

I have to say, some of the best advice I've seen on relationships - anywhere on the net - is floating around the relationship forum, but its largely ignored! The relationship forum is a true diamond in the rough, a hidden gem. Stop denegrating it!

Here is why you should take the relationship forum seriously:

• ATS is full of some very, very intelligent people. We are not all lunatics! Well, some of us may be both lunatics and intelligent. But my point is, there is intelligence out there. Intelligence can be brought to bear on relationship issues too, you know.

• Believe it or not, many ATSers have valuable and insightful real-world experience with relationships. Not everyone here is a basement shut-in, despite the popular image of messageboard posters. In fact, I would say the "asocial shut-in" stereotype is a minority on ATS, not the majority. The days when the internet was only home to such types is over. Look around you...people of all walks of life are online now. Everyone is tapping away at their smartphones in public these days. The internet is no longer the private playground of asocial computer geeks. It's time to put that old, outdated stereotype to rest.

• The male-to-female ratio on ATS is fantastic. Most internet forums (other than specifically female-themed ones) seem to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 90%-plus male. Not ATS. Because this board has a relatively balanced male-to-female ratio, you are apt to get more balanced responses representing the opinions of both men and women, which is important in relationship issues.

• Because of ATS's terms and conditions, talk about relationships tends to be civil and clean. It doesn't slide into innuendo or obscenity as much as on other boards when people talk about relationships. And because most ATSers value their monikers and know they have to stand by what they write here, there is less trolling and fly-by posting there. The result is refreshingly clean relationship topics where people take each other seriously and show respect.

• I can't tell you how much good info and even just general observations and conversations I've seen over there. Whatever the reason, there is a lot of good material being posted there. Too bad it doesn't have a wider audience.

So, visit the relationship forum. Or at least stop talking trash about it.

Rant over.

edit on 4/6/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Sorry bro, I do NOT come to ATS to discuss relationships. And I would wager a LARGE percentage of ATS users feel the same. It's a sorry excuse but a relevant one.

Now if you could somehow tie breaking up/falling in love with a girl/boy AND a Close Encounter of the 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th kind with aliens/the Illuminati/bigfoot I would most certainly be involved.

edit on 6-4-2012 by redbarron626 because: to Add Aliens, The Illuminati, Bigfoot, ATS in capitol letters and to generally clarify my position about the OP

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Fair enough. But it's your loss...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Sorry bro, I do NOT come to ATS to discuss relationships. And I would wager a LARGE percentage of ATS users feel the same. It's a sorry excuse but a relevant one.

Now if you could somehow tie breaking up/falling in love with a girl/boy AND a Close Encounter of the 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th kind with aliens/the Illuminati/bigfoot I would most certainly be involved.

edit on 6-4-2012 by redbarron626 because: to Add Aliens, The Illuminati, Bigfoot, ATS in capitol letters and to generally clarify my position about the OP

I'm willing to bet that many women may compare their husbands with a sasquatch.

And I'd say an alien probe counts as some type of interstellar one night stand

edit on 6-4-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

If you ask me, relationships should be considered a Mind Altering activity and should be outlawed like anything similar on ATS

I mean, 100% of people who engage in activities with someone they desire, end up dead. That's right, 100%. It's a lethal and terminal activity. And not only that, it impairs judgement, can ruin families, and while it might seem like fun at the time, once it's over, you want even more of it, and seek it in seedy bars and night clubs.

Should be illegal irl!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I like the relationship forum i think its a great place to vent or just ask questions after all its BTS if you don't like this forum don't click on it..I tryed posting on relationships on the subculture and it got trashed but hey i guess it wasn't the mods cup of tea
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I personally don't partake in relationship forum...but it's there for people to utilize . Every post says what type forum it's in ....people feel they always have to pass judgement and criticize others .
I don't know if it's the "cloak of anonymity" that makes people take their frustrations out on here , or just a mean spiritness. The best you you can do is not participate in it ....

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Conspire

1. to agree together, especially secretly, to do something wrong, evil, or illegal: They conspired to kill the king.

2. to act or work together toward the same result or goal.

Relationships are technically a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I like the relationship forum i think its a great place to vent or just ask questions after all its BTS if you don't like this forum don't click on it..I tryed posting on relationships on the subculture and it got trashed but hey i guess it wasn't the mods cup of tea
peace,sugarcookie1

Oh what happened? I was going to reply.
Shame, it was a nice, tactful thread from what bit I saw of it.
Oh well...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I enjoy the forum, there is a lot of good back and forth, and to be honest, its very daring for someone to be open in that type of forum.

If ATS did NOT have sub-sections then yes it would be weird to see a relationship thread in the middle of 9/11 or UFO's, but it isn't.

It clearly says "relationship", so that those that write there are looking to have that particular conversation, and those who see, and dont want to participate, can pass right by it.

What gets me, is those that dont care for the conversation or topic, click it anyway, and then have nothing constructive to say, I think that is wayyy worse.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There is no other arena of life that is more mysterious, or that requires more denial of ignorance, than our love relationships.

I really loved all of your reasoning in bold, silent thunder, and I agree with it all. This is a really good thread with a really good OP.

I could easily see ATS becoming a resource for the discussion of this most mysterious of subjects, we do have the mental fire-power and experience to bring a very unique spin to figuring out how we all tick when involved with another.

Fellas? You know that vapor lock thing we do when things get tight with our mates? if any of you have figured out that mystery, please contact me. Or start a thread in the relationships forum.

X.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Duh.. We need to give our self centered opinion and explain to you that this place isnt a place for things too girlie.. And "feelings" and "emotions". We want fake moon photos, and spaceships, and illuminatis getting off'd. And now we gotta deal with you complaining about us telling you conspiracies isnt for real life emotion and relationships. How could I be any more disturbed by being interupted with such nonesense? ................... But seriously. It happens. People get in that mood.. You know. They know everything.. I happen to know everything.. But you know.. Those people.. I appreciate you post op.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

100% of people who engage in activities with someone they desire, end up dead.

I'll put this in a language you can understand......100% of people end up dead. Period. We live to die bro. It get us ALL in the end and it doesn't matter if you associate with other people or not.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Just as society revolves in part around peoples relationships, So must the Online community i suppose, I've never actively discussed topics in the relationship forum to my knowledge because it's not my sort of thing.
However the Relationship forum is an asset to be used and people do use it, they enter by their own accord and I'm sure they discuss fantastic topics.
On the other hand i see myself strolling into the forum one day by accident, suddenly realizing where i am and suddenly making a quick escape before (God Forbid) anyone asks my opinion on the 5 best positions of the Karma Sutra

edit on 6/4/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
Fellas? You know that vapor lock thing we do when things get tight with our mates?

X.

Could you re-phrase that please? I'm not familiar with the term vapor-lock.

And "tight"..........good or bad?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by Xoanon
Fellas? You know that vapor lock thing we do when things get tight with our mates?

X.

Could you re-phrase that please? I'm not familiar with the term vapor-lock.

I had assumed it was a guy thing, that all guys would know about...so thanks for asking...I'm curious about that too, sounds intriguing

edit on 6-4-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

That's fair. I'm in love with someone and I think it's because of an alien implant that we both received shortly after birth. And this race of aliens? It takes them years to get here. Sound far-fetched? You don't know the situation. Sometimes the only way I can explain it is by some sort of divine intervention. And that's what love is. Something divine.

See my point? You're disassociating human relationships with the things in life that are hard to explain. They're one in the same. Relationships are a constant mystery. The trick is, don't put too much thought into them because you'll never totally figure them out. Nor should you. You have to go and get involved. The same goes for aliens. or the Philadelphia Project, or the lunar landing. You'll never figure out whether they're real or not......nor should you. The difference is that you can't get involved with them like you can a relationship with another person.

No offense, but if people like you cannot rationally discuss relationships, on this forum or another, you'll never grasp the reality of what alien beings are, or anything else that is mysterious that you can't really get involved in, even if they do exist. And therein lies your problem buddy. You'd rather get involved with something impersonal than personal. That's your prerogative but go around saying that the relationship forum doesn't belong here. If you don't like it, don't go there. I think it fits in perfectly with a website whose motto is "Deny Ignorance". If people were less ignorant concerning relationships, this might be a better world to live in. Maybe the same can be said about aliens, but the fact is that being in a smart and healthy relationship with another person is proven to be healthy. You can only speculate that knowing with absolute certainty whether aliens exist or not can be healthy.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

The mod didnt like it so it was sent to the trash bin and i thought it was kept civil and clean i saw nothing wrong with the thread ..oh well now we know it cant be talked about
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Gotta disagree with that. This is a diverse board. Many different topic for the varied individuals here. Personally I don't care for the religious forums, seldom go there but they are active and some like them. I don't but they have value to them for some. Same as the Relationships forum.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

Relationships are technically a conspiracy.

Not when you're in it for different reasons...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join