It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for reading the Holy Bible in public

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I understand that your opinion is your opinion but you have to understand this man was simply tryin to educated the uneducated. He's not trying to cram his message down your throat he's trying to tell you that there's a better way to live your life if religion makes you a better person then it must real. I don't see police storming classroom arresting teachers for teaching the big bang theory or that we evolved from monkeys. This is a direct violation of freedom of speech and the beginning of end of our rights. It's funny that you said go ahead call me a nazi because that's how they got there start.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You simply don't get it. If a person is free to leave of their own volition and choice its not in any way shape or form a "captive" audience. Losing a place in line is a matter of convenience. No one was forcing the people to stay in line by coercion or force.

They all were free to leave anytime they chose to do so.

Dude!!!

They were standing in a long line to take care of government-mandated business!! If I'd been camped out there since overnight, or 7 am, or my lunch hour.....to take care of that business....and someone comes along and starts ramming their beliefs down my throat....
I'm just going to say "screw this" and give up my place in line? (Which line was probably those doing the 'last day' before their registration expired)....
c'mon, NuT, you can appreciate that.

If you were standing in the line and some guy came preaching Satanism, or Wiccan, or Catholic, or Buddhism...or the Hari Krishna's showed up and started shouting at you....
you would not stay in line?
You would not want them to shut up??

They would be 'offending your religious sensibilities'......
and in effect "forcing" you to either 'hear' their preaching, or try some other day (with a fine/penalty) when they weren't there.
C'MON NOW.....
no. It's not okay. It's not okay to take advantage of people doing their civic duty and waiting in line to do so....for spewing doctrine. That's NOT why they were there.
So what? You'd be annoyed. Annoying someone with your religious views isn't illegal.

You didn't seem to see it in my last post so I'll post it again

Federal District Court, Tennessee, 1978: The fact that persons might express their religious views at some place other than the public streets, sidewalks, and other areas of the city does not have any consequence in determining the validity of permit requirements with respect to the use of such public areas. U.S.C.A. Const. Amend. I (Smith v. City of Manchester, 460 F. Supp. 30)

and

Federal Court of Appeals, Florida, 1974: Public expression of ideas may not be prohibited merely because ideas are themselves of offensive to some of their hearers. West's F.S.A. 877.03; U.S.C.A. Const. Amend. I (Wiegand v. Seaver, 504 F. 2d. 303).

If someone started preaching Satanism or Wicca or the like while I was in a huge DMV line, yeah I might be annoyed and pissed off, but at least I understand the law and that the person in question is completely within their legal rights to do so as long as they are not interfering with the day to day business of the DMV. Which this pastor was not.
edit on 4/6/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If they drove get in their car and drive away.

With expired tags or license? Are you serious??
So then, they have to pay the fine for not having renewed in time???
ghaaa.....
And who in the heck is going to ride their bike to the DMV except people who've already let their tags/license expire and are trying to minimize their fine.....

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

ghaaa.....
And who in the heck is going to ride their bike to the DMV except people who've already let their tags/license expire and are trying to minimize their fine.....

I guess they'll just have to put up with whomever is preaching whatever.

There are plenty of legal precedents that give that preacher the right to do what he was doing, and just because a few people standing in the line that stretched outside might have gotten annoyed at the fact the man was standing there reading from the bible doesn't make it legally right for him to get arrested.

They need to grow up and learn how to ignore the things that bother them in public places. If someone smokes a cigarette while walking down main street USA, he probably annoys and irritates a lot of people. Can he be arrested for it? No. People just have to learn to ignore him, as they have to learn to do with people who preach their religion in public places if it bothers them so much.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Funny, from the title of the post I would have thought the guy was quietly reading a bible to himself in a park or some such, minding his own business. Lo-and-behold, the guy is being a public nuisance and preaching in people's ears, not minding his own business at all. Way to start a misleading, sensationalist post.
edit on 6-4-2012 by SmellyPants because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmellyPants
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Nice misleading title. You mean a man was arrested for reading the bible OUT LOUD in people's ears as they walk by and mind their own business, unlike this loudmouth jerk pushing his crap on anyone who walks by. I wonder, would you be as irate if someone was reading the koran in people's ears? Poor, poor persecuted religious zealots. How do you like your own medicine?
You say it like it's illegal to do that.

Nor is it a midleading title. He was arrested for reading the bible in public. Yeah OP could make it "Man arrested for reading the Holy Bible aloud in public" but that still wouldnt make the pastors' actions illegal in anyway

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Those who think the cop is right.. I challenge you this.............

what if I read the consitution of the United States out loud, would I be arrested? Intresting to note, yes.. there has been people with NO regilious background and have been arrested for just reading our HIGHEST law in the land outloud..

and if I read the constitution outloud while you are standing there.. would you be annoyed and disgusted? .. what if I read a one page research paper about how the media is being controlled by only 3 corp conglomorates.. ?

It's NOT the content that is being challenged here..

it's the RIGHT of our Constitution being trampled on..........and if anyone taking sides with the cop.. and you're a OWS supporter.. SHAME ON YOU~!!!

ETA: what if the security officer was reading material outloud .. ?? would he be arrested .. if so, why? What if the cop was reading material outloud .. should he be arrested ?? If so.... why? Are they above the law.. ?
edit on 6-4-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
Those who think the cop is right.. I challenge you this.............

what if I read the consitution of the United States out loud, would I be arrested? Intresting to note, yes.. there has been people with NO regilious background and have been arrested for just reading our HIGHEST law in the land outloud..

and if I read the constitution outloud while you are standing there.. would you be annoyed and disgusted? .. what if I read a one page research paper about how the media is being controlled by only 3 corp conglomorates.. ?

It's NOT the content that is being challenged here..

it's the RIGHT of our Constitution being trampled on..........and if anyone taking sides with the cop.. and you're a OWS supporter.. SHAME ON YOU~!!!

ETA: what if the security officer was reading material outloud .. ?? would he be arrested .. if so, why? What if the cop was reading material outloud .. should he be arrested ?? If so.... why? Are they above the law.. ?
edit on 6-4-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)
He would be arrested for 'annoying' people.

Which apparently, at least according to all the people arguing that side here, is illegal.

Even though I've brought the actual cases where this was contested to the table, and shown them where in the court of law the Judges have ruled that 'annoying' someone isn't enough reason to arrest them. They still seem to think it was the right thing to do.

And people wonder why the US is going to the dogs. People like that are one of the many reasons, people who seem to think that their rights supercede those of others and fail to realize that their rights are the exact same as the pastors rights.

And its people like that that make me lose faith in humanity.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

reply to post by ArrowsNV

Cry much? Maybe the karma of all religions past atrocities is coming home to roost. I have no sympathy for you know it all bible thumpers. Sleep in the bed you've made, and stop crying about it.

Btw, you're going to hell.
edit on 6-4-2012 by SmellyPants because: Wanted to let them know their destination
Cry? No, I'm simply pointing out a logical fallacy in your argument.

Nor did I say that I subscribe to any particular religion.

At least I'm not attacking people simply on what they believe in like an immature child.

People like you need to grow up and learn how to pose an argument without acting like a 4 year old.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Whats funny is all the religious people who don't care about other rights being trampled, you know like those of gays for example, but are all up in arms about their precious religious rights. Of course its only religious rights when its christ and crap. God forbid someone tries to open a mosque near ground zero. Hypocrites and idiots. Keep crying about some guy supposedly getting 'arrested' for reading the bible. Much worse is coming, and you're helping by focusing on this type of crap.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Wow, you use big words. You must be really smart. Like all those people that google stuff and are all of a sudden experts on a given topic. The fallacy of my argument, rofl. Btw, did I mention you're going to hell?
You're obviously new here.

Keep making posts like these and see where it gets you.

The big words come with what most people refer to as: command of the english language.

If they fly over your head and you have to use Google to figure out what they mean, then I apologize; I will try to tone down the big words for the people like you who don't understand that when you have proper command of a language people tend to listen more. At least they do where I live.

I maintain my position from my last post though; at least I don't argue like a 4 year old.

And I could care less where you think I'm going.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Yes, I would!!

Standing in line at the DMV does not make me obliged to listen to you. I don't care if you're reading Green Eggs and Ham...if you are doing it loudly and infringing on my right to think, to stand there with nothing but the normal day-to-day noise of modern business-hours on my mind....you are INTRUDING.

If people want to listen to Scripture or a preacher while standing in line, they are perfectly free to bring an IPod, or a Walkman, or a radio with God-programming, or any other number of devices that allow them to read, indulge, contemplate, reflect.....
It has NO PLACE in a setting where people are inclined to stay....(usually against their will anyway, as it goes with the DMV snail's-pace requirements for legal reasons)...
NO!
Get off this public lawn!

**snip**

edit on 6-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/6/2012 by maria_stardust because: Rude graphic removed.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

If someone smokes a cigarette while walking down main street USA, he probably annoys and irritates a lot of people. Can he be arrested for it?

Uh. Doy, yes, he can.

There are plenty of cities and suburbs and localities that prohibit people smoking (or drinking) in public. Same for using vulgarity, being nude, shooting a gun, blasting music, spitting, shouting at people that they suck and the assailant (or someone's) gonna kick their ass.....(um, assault)

Get a grip.
edit on 6-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

ghaaa.....

Look, if their plates or license was expired they should never have driven to the DMV. That's a violation of the law. Their laziness and procrastination isn't grounds for anything. That's like a woman explaining it took to long to do her hair and she was running late for work when a cop pulls her over for speeding.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

You seem to need it as you are particularly grumpy and jerk-like.
You're one to be talking, you "maroon".

At least I don't have to stoop to name calling to prove my point. As I have posted plenty of legal proof as to why this man should not have been arrested.

There are plenty of cities and suburbs and localities that prohibit people smoking (or drinking) in public. Same for using vulgarity, being nude, shooting a gun, blasting music, spitting, shouting at people that they suck and the assailant (or someone's) gonna kick their ass.....(um, assault)

Get a grip.

United States District Court, E.D. Wisconsin, April 30, 1970: An ordinance that proscribes conduct that tends to "disturb or annoy others" is both vague and overbroad. I he constitutionally protected exercise of free expression frequently causes a disturbance, for the very purpose of the first amendment is to stimulate the creation and communication of new, and therefore, often controversial ideas. The prohibition against conduct that tends to disturb another would literally make it a crime to deliver an unpopular speech that resulted in a "disturbance." Such a restriction is a clearly invalid restriction of constitutionally protected free expression. (Gardner v. Ceci, 312 F. Supp. 516/ see also Landry v. Daley, 280 F. Supp. 968, N.D. 111. 1968).

If most of those city ordinances were actually challenged in the Supreme Court (minus the drinking in public, being nude, and shooting a gun) they would be struck down as unconstitutional. That would take a lot of money so most people don't bother.

I do have a grip. And that grip is of the law and what on it does and does not permit. So unless you can present a case showing there is some sort of law that supercedes the precedents I have put forth in my posts, you are simply wrong in your opinion. I'm not saying you can't have it, I'm simply bringing evidence to the table, not just hearsay and your personal opinion, that states this man should not have been arrested..

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Look, if their plates or license was expired they should never have driven to the DMV.

Sweet of heart....
this has nothing to do with the topic at hand....
I was talking about people who rode their bikes (your suggestion) to the DMV!! Not that they drove there with expired tags or license!! They would have already either passed the deadline, or chosen not to use gasoline to do so.....

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join