It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for reading the Holy Bible in public

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
It still comes down to a matter of who owns the property, they in turn have the right to not allow anyone to be there or tell them how they can act. Someone or thing owns that parking lot they were in and in America private property rights are sacred.

even though I believe in religious freedom, these people were standing line in waiting to do something and these people were annoying.

It's not private property, had you watched the video it happened at a DMV location, that's public property during business hours.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's not private property, had you watched the video it happened at a DMV location, that's public property during business hours.

Thats what i am saying. In fact, that cop didn't even read him his miranda rights when he arrested him. He just popped the cuffs on him. I didn't hear him read any rights.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
“Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty.”

Samuel Adams

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Thats what i am saying. In fact, that cop didn't even read him his miranda rights when he arrested him. He just popped the cuffs on him. I didn't hear him read any rights.

Free Exercise Clause

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. (Amendment 1 Bill of Rights)

SCOTUS Cases:

Reynolds v. United States (1878)
United States v Ballard (1944)
Sherbert v. Verner (1963)
Yoder v.Wisconsin (1972)
Frank v. Alaska (1979)
Goldman v. Weinberger (1986)
Lyng v. Northwest Cemetery Prot. Ass'n (1988)
Employment Div. of Oregon v, Smith (1990)
Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. Hialeah (1993)
City of Boerne v. Flores (1997)
Locke v Davey (2004)

If you don't like what the religious person in saying is irrelevant. The SCOTUS has consistently ruled they have the right under the free exercise clause to practice their religion freely. (With certain exceptions, i.e. illicit drug use)

they were not a captive audience, any one of those folks were free to leave if they were offended, there was no criminal confinement.

edit on 6-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
If they arrested this guy......

would they have arrested the business woman, who talks loudly and shrill into her bluetooth, yelling at her secretary:

"if the price goes down, I said to buy, buy BUY. You don't sell when our price goes down, we make an acquisition. When the price goes up, you just buy more! DId you even bother to get my dry cleaning in before nine? Because I'm not going to be going by until 5 and I expect my beige suit to be ready for tomorrow's seminar on buying low..

If I have to listen to her, with not hope of reprieve (even if the price goes down), if THAT'S her free speech right, then why can't the preacher to the same functional thing?

IF I have to listen to the News Channel turned up too loud when I actually get IN the DMV (and it's the political one), can they arrest the person with the remote?

See it really is about the content. The man was arrested for what he was saying. Everyone else has the right to be irritating as hell.

You can tell how free a society is by how it treats its religious minorities.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow! Did anyone else think that was a very fast arrest? I mean the cop showed up and was gone with the so called perp in minutes? What was that about?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
Wow! Did anyone else think that was a very fast arrest? I mean the cop showed up and was gone with the so called perp in minutes? What was that about?

Cameras were rolling. If you're going to violate someone's civil rights on camera you better make it fast!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Wouldn't a DMV be government property... and thus private as well?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
One less nut shoving their beliefs down people's throats.

Sucks to be him.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Wouldn't a DMV be government property... and thus private as well?

Doesn't matter, his speech wasn't state-supported. It falls under the exercise clause not the establishment clause. And anyways, it's during business hours so government property is public property.

WE OWN IT!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by paradox
One less nut shoving their beliefs down people's throats.

Sucks to be him.

Well, let's toss out all our constitutionally granted liberties then. Get your papers in order comrade, we're going to need them a lot in the days ahead.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

even in canada you don't own sh!t...

its hard to believe the public owns that property

edit on 6-4-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

even in canada you don't own sh!t...

its hard to believe the public owns that property

It's a reference to us being taxpayers. But it's irrelevant. His speech was not state-supported so it doesn't fall under the establishment clause. It falls under the exercise clause of the first amendment.

It's our first amendment, the one the founding fathers of this nation felt was the MOST important liberties of the ones we have.

Edit: Take care buddy, I'm going to bed. Enough of my mindless drivel for one day. See ya friend.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

freedom of speach is only a right when its convienent...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

You know I'm going to hate saying "you're right". If this were a protest about the DMV or its policies ..people wouldn't feel so judgmental ..we Do need to stand up for free speech.

If that were a group of Muslims or a group of atheists standing outside the DMV would you be happy they got arrested?

I think what people are biased against here is the "bible" thumpers ..and their special privileges that have gotten out of control, and it's it's kinda funny to see them eating a piece of their own persecution.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Yea I guess so. I just got the impression the cop knew on the way there it was a automatic arrest. He did not ask witnesses or do anything to investigate. Like it was cut & dry just off the security guards complaint.
Did not seem just or fair by any means.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
He wasn't arrested for reading the bible, he was arrested for public nuisance and trespassing. They were asked nicely to desist but chose to keep going and then act like this is some kind of persecution. It's not. Nobody was singled out for being Christian, they were arrested for being obnoxious.

I will defend both our rights and my religion when truly under attack but this is clearly not the case here.
Nobody is saved (evangelized) by this method, in fact it turns off more people than it attracts.
Living your life as testimony to Christ is how to win souls.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
Personally I think the guy had good intentions, but that's not how you deal with people these days.
If you want to talk to someone about God you don't start reading random chapters out of the Bible.
Pull someone aside, ask them if they would be interested in hearing what you have to say.
If they say no, then pray for that person, if they say yes then great but forcing someone to listen to you is not the answer!

Amen Amen

I agree totaly with what you say. No soul knows the path of another soul. What if the preaching is messing up gods plan for that soul. But I ask you am I allowed to preach my belives on ATS where people themselves come to discuss things and they can ignore my preaching if they want to? I hope so otherwise I will probably be in trouble with the loving god.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

freedom of speach is only a right when its convienent...

Absurd. Its always a right here in the US unless its a person yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre or yelling "bomb" on a place for two examples. That's why nut jobs like Westboro Baptist Church can protest military funerals and there is nothing we can do about it even if we hate what they say.

This coming from a military veteran.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by paleorchid13
reply to post by CaptainNemo

You know I'm going to hate saying "you're right". If this were a protest about the DMV or its policies ..people wouldn't feel so judgmental ..we Do need to stand up for free speech.

If that were a group of Muslims or a group of atheists standing outside the DMV would you be happy they got arrested?

I think what people are biased against here is the "bible" thumpers ..and their special privileges that have gotten out of control, and it's it's kinda funny to see them eating a piece of their own persecution.

It doesn't matter if they are Muslims, Hindus, or Atheists. They have the freedom to say what they want to here in the United States under the first Amendment. It doesn't matter if we don't agree with what they say, they have the right and protection to say it.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join