It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for reading the Holy Bible in public

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Talk about a violation of civil rights in the U.S., can you see the Totalitarianism taking over yet? This is just the beginning. This pastor was reading the bible in public and was arrested for it. This is what oppression looks like and it's not going to stop here. It won't be long before they dictate what you can and cannot do within the confines of your own home. Imagine big brother cameras in your house monitoring your every movement, your every word, everytime you have a bowel movement, or take a shower. Does this seem ridiculous? It should. I imagine before much longer you will not be able to even teach the bible, or go to worship services at church.

For those of you who are looking to troll over this issue, imagine what could be happening to you next. What rights have you, that could be next on the chopping block. Now, laugh at that.
edit on 5-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
could be more that its offensive to those who are not christian...and most people really dont want to hear someone preaching to them while theyre trying to do stuff.

read the bible out loud in church or home, not in public.

i applaud the police for doing this. i would applaud them for arresting anyone reading religious text in public out loud. i dont think it has much to do with taking away free speech as it does preventing conflict which discussing religion or doing what that guy is doing, usually does.

but i guess that makes me a nazi, yes?

also evangelicals are just as bad as southern baptist. no one wants to listen to them and their nonsense.
edit on 5-4-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here's the thing that bugs me about this. If this were a crazy homeless guy, they would have simply shooed him away. If it was a crowd from Westboro Baptist "Church", they wouldn't have touched them.

I hope the church sues the police department and the town.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Did he just tell them to go preach on their own property?! Oh god would that be the greatest gift anyone could give!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
could be more that its offensive to those who are not christian...and most people really dont want to hear someone preaching to them while theyre trying to do stuff.

read the bible out loud in church or home, not in public.

i applaud the police for doing this. i would applaud them for arresting anyone reading religious text in public out loud. i dont think it has much to do with taking away free speech as it does preventing conflict which discussing religion or doing what that guy is doing, usually does.

but i guess that makes me a nazi, yes?

also evangelicals are just as bad as southern baptist. no one wants to listen to them and their nonsense.
edit on 5-4-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

if someone is reading the bible in public and u don't want to hear it, don't listen, walk away or start reading another book out loud, its our right as humans to do what we want were we want when we want, reading a book doesn't warrant an arrest.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe I heard the cop say that they were not allowed to preach there because it was a "captive audience." That I can understand. Now if they had tazed him or assaulted him, that would be a different thing.

So I'm just going to leave it at that. I'll suspend judgment until someone comes along and convinces me with unassailable logic that this was wrong....

ETA: I did give it a flag; maybe a constitutional scholar will come along and give a look-over. No, not Obama--I hope....
edit on 4/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Here's the thing that bugs me about this. If this were a crazy homeless guy, they would have simply shooed him away. If it was a crowd from Westboro Baptist "Church", they wouldn't have touched them.

I hope the church sues the police department and the town.

I doubt they will sue, that is not our way, even if our rights were violated in such a manner. The path of peace is often strewn with the blood of the innocent.

This is just the beginning though. The religious persecution starts first, then it moves on to bigger and better themes. If people do not want to hear the preacher they can just walk away that simple, the way he was reading that bible with his face in it, he never would have noticed.

This is just the beginning.
edit on 5-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I believe I heard the cop say that they were not allowed to preach there because it was a "captive audience." That I can understand. Now if they had tazed him or assaulted him, that would be a different thing.

Captive? I saw no chains nor ropes or anything of the sort preventing them from exiting the premises. In my agnostic days if it were me and i didn't want to hear it, i would have just left without a care in the world as simple as you please.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, I'll be the fly in the ointment with a different take on this. First, California DMV about 45 miles from Hemet where I grew up was nothing even remotely close to what it is in the Midwest. It's a trial of patience Job would have been found wanting in. Hours of waiting isn't at ALL uncommon and they STILL close more offices from time to time in the name of budget cuts.

My whole point isn't that I don't argue their right to preach. I have nothing but support for Christians even if I'm not one myself. However...People at THAT location of all place in California to preach to a captive audience are probably the most likely to just walk over and beat the stuffing out of one or more of the guys for the sheer amusement and a break to the otherwise crappy morning. People out there get hurt on the street for far less after all and ATS has been the place I've seen several of the videos showing it.

The CHP probably did these guys a favor. If I'm at an Obama convention, I'm not going to start chanting for Republican leadership. If I'm at Burger King, I'm not going to protest beef. ......and if I'm looking to preach, the LAST place on Earth I'd personlly think to choose would be a California DMV office. Especially a So. Cal one. Yikes.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I can find preaching simply by finding the right channel on my television or radio dial. It's not like you can't find it if you want to hear it.
That said I don't think it's necessary to preach in public. If you allow one to do it then you will start having all of them do it.
You could walk down a city street and get damned to hell and then saved in just a few steps.
No thanks.
edit on 5-4-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Matthew 5:10-12

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven...."

Preach on Preacher!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The point i am trying to make in this thread, is that this is the beginning of something nasty thats coming our way. What else can we be losing? Arizona passed a bill where you can get 6 months in jail for saying something someone found offensive. So for all the trolls on ATS that love to do drivebys, that could potentially put you in a bind and would be a violation of your freedmon of speech.

Our freedoms as americans are being eroded one by one, without hardly a fuss. This is not the america i grew up in years ago i can tell you this. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion heading out the door, the right to bear arms next on the chopping block...where will this end?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Talk about a violation of civil rights in the U.S., can you see the Totalitarianism taking over yet? This is just the beginning. This pastor was reading the bible in public and was arrested for it

The cop says he was on someone elses property, and he was asked to leave. There are trespassing laws in the US for a reason. If this man showed up on my property, the cops would probably be his preferred way of leaving.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Yeah, that's essentially NAZI mentality!

Didn't some of the first people to come to this land, come to escape religious persecution?! And now, in this day people can be thrown and jail for exercising religious freedom and freedom of speech... I am OUTRAGED. See how this hotshot moron grins as he's arresting this man. He didn't warn him and he couldn't even tell him what he was being arrested for. This is NOT the type of person I want prote..I mean harassing my fellow man.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Captive? I saw no chains nor ropes or anything of the sort preventing them from exiting the premises. In my agnostic days if it were me and i didn't want to hear it, i would have just left without a care in the world as simple as you please.

Well, now we're going to have to start splitting hairs. If this is a DMV office, no one wants to leave their place in line to escape some annoying preacher. More likely someone would punch him in the nose than lose their place; and then _they've_ broken the law.

No. No chains. But can you not see how far beside the point that is? The fact that you're standing in line at a DMV does not make you fair game for some idiot's rantings--whether religious, political, white-supremacy, devil-worshipping, right-to-lifers, or whatever stripe of madness you want to talk about.

Answer me this: Would you like it if you were standing in line at the DMV and some Muslims came along preaching at you?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

reply to post by Ex_CT2

Well, now we're going to have to start splitting hairs. If this is a DMV office, no one wants to leave their place in line to escape some annoying preacher. More likely someone would punch him in the nose than lose their place; and then _they've_ broken the law.

No. No chains. But can you not see how far beside the point that is? The fact that you're standing in line at a DMV does not make you fair game for some idiot's rantings--whether religious, political, white-supremacy, devil-worshipping, right-to-lifers, or whatever stripe of madness you want to talk about.

Answer me this: Would you like it if you were standing in line at the DMV and some Muslims came along preaching at you?

Amen Brotha, Those lines are horrible.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The point i am trying to make in this thread, is that this is the beginning of something nasty thats coming our way. What else can we be losing? Arizona passed a bill where you can get 6 months in jail for saying something someone found offensive. So for all the trolls on ATS that love to do drivebys, that could potentially put you in a bind and would be a violation of your freedmon of speech.

Our freedoms as americans are being eroded one by one, without hardly a fuss. This is not the america i grew up in years ago i can tell you this. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion heading out the door, the right to bear arms next on the chopping block...where will this end?

I don't think anyone would argue with you about how we're losing our liberties. But preaching at captive audiences is not right, and it's not a recognized liberty....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Yeah, that's essentially NAZI mentality!

Didn't some of the first people that came to this land, come to escape religious persecution?! And now, in this day people can be thrown and jail for exercising religious freedom and freedom of speech... I am OUTRAGED. See how this hotshot moron grins as he's arresting this man. He didn't warn him and he couldn't even tell him what he was being arrested for. This is NOT the type of person I want prote..I mean harassing my fellow man.

link   
This is clearly a violation of the first amendment. To those who applaud the police for this you should be ashamed. I am not a Christian, but I find this disgusting on principle. Sure, some people may find this annoying, but the first amendment also allows you to go up to a person who is doing this and disagree with them. Even if you disagree and don't feel like being confrontational, you don't have to pay any attention to them if you don't want to. Since when did we need the government to protect us from minor verbal annoyance? It is a slippery slope in my opinion.

In ancient Rome there was a podium where you could go up if it was empty and talk about anything you want to. I think that tradition should come back.

About the captive audience thing though, I can see the logic in that, but I don't think he should be arrested.
edit on 5-4-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join