It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First and Last Proclamation from the Ruler of the World [WRC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The Master takes action by letting things take their course.
He remains as calm at the end as at the beginning.
He has nothing, thus has nothing to lose.
What he desires is non-desire; what he learns is to unlearn.
He simply reminds people of who they have always been.
He cares about nothing but the Great Way.
Thus he can care for all things.

-Tao Te Ching

Greetings, subjects. As ruler of the planet, I have been asked to make a statement and to clarify things a bit, something I do now with great reluctance. But having been outed at last, I see little choice but to explain the situation and answer a few of your questions, to avoid confusion and disinformation.

Many have expressed astonishment that the world is ruled by a stoop-shouldered, balding florist from New Jersey, a middle-aged man with a bit of a potbelly and a decidedly unhip wardrobe. Why, many ask, do you choose to live in a shabby one-bedroom apartment instead of a palace? Why do you drive a rusty old Chevy instead of a chauffer-driven Rolls Royce? To these and other similar questions, I answer that when one possesses total power, the outward signs of power stop being meaningful. Sure, I could live in a palace and sit on a gold-encrusted throne if I wanted, but to what end? When you are omnipotent, the need to impress others fades quickly. I guess if you’ve never had omnipotence, this might be difficult to understand. But take it from me, the used fake-leather recliner in my livingroom is much more comfy than a golden throne, even if it has started to leak stuffing a bit by now.

A more serious question, and one to which my subjects are perhaps entitled an answer: Why do I permit all the suffering that goes on in the world? If I have so much power, I have been asked, why do I allow the horrible anguish that characterizes life as we know it, the wars and famines, the cruelty of man against man? This is slightly more difficult to answer. First of all, I may be the ruler of the planet, but that doesn’t make me a God. I cannot wave a magic wand and make disease go away, for example. I can’t stop floods or earthquakes. My control is supreme, but it is limited to the political sphere. OK, fair enough, you reply, but at least can’t you stop all the wars going on in the world? Couldn’t you distribute the wealth a bit more equitably? Yes, I could do these things, if I really wanted to. Since the leaders of every country and every political movement are under my direct control, I could, in theory, get everyone to stand down and stop fighting. I could abolish the banking cartels, say, or implement a new economic order that would be more equitable. But were I were to do these things, the evil that men do would simply manifest in another way. Were I to stop all the wars, other forms of injustice and violence would arise. Were I to change the currency system, another form of inequality would appear. It's a bit like a game of whack-a-mole. This may seem hard to comprehend, but what needs to be understood is that these problems result from human nature, which is something no ruler can change, no matter how noble his intentions.

As ruler, my ultimate task is to remind you that all men rule themselves. If you want justice, be just in your own life. If you want compassion, be compassionate to others. Learn to let go and abide in the course of things. When a person does this, he, too, becomes omnipotent, just as I am. In the end, each of us is master of our own destiny.

Thank you. That is all.

edit on 5-4-2012 by Never Despise because: Grammar/spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

Bows. Thank you

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Still sounds like something from a devils advocate. 2nd?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think its a great story. S&F.

The poor leader would not be able to enjoy his life as a simple florist after this proclamation, though.
edit on 4/5/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Do you mean the movie? I saw the first one but not the second. I don't recall any characters like this in the first one.

My inspiration for this wasn't a movie, it was the quote I put at the beginning. I chose a florist because that struck me as a simple, peaceful profession. I chose a balding man from New Jersey because it struck me as pretty average and non-special. At first I wanted to make him something more soulful, like a pottery maker or a subsistance farmer, but then I realized that unhipness and normlacy was part of the message. If somebody's already come up with this idea and put it in a movie, I guess I can't be too surprised but I'm not trying to copy anyone.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

no and yes. I thought it might have been part of pacino's speech to reeves on the subway. life imitates art imitates life kinda thing

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Um...I hate to come across as snarky, but if your only awareness of Taoist thought comes from some scene in a Keanu movie, I'd say the problem rests with you, not the OP.

The ideas in the original post are not new ideas, and the've been presented again and again in lots of different ways over the centuries. Since long before the first Hollywood movie. But that's what makes them classic. I thought the OP did an excellent job of writing based on the Taoist philosophy of rulership here.

edit on 4/6/2012 by TheXoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I liked it.

Well done.

S&F

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

"Eastern" philosophy has always been a favorite read of mine. SnF. You prove that the world could be ruled peacefully. Well written, and a joy to read.

new topics

top topics

join