It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Glasses and Facial Recognition Software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I know there are posts on both of these issues; but, I want to combine them. We have all, by now, seen the google glass video. You wear the glasses and you get a visual display with maps, reminders and it will even locate others and tell you how far away they are from you. Now, lets combine that with facial recognition software. It would allow google to identify everyone you saw whose picture was on the internet. It could notify you when a convicted sex offender was near you. People will buy them for their children so that the children know who to run from.

That all sounds good doesn't it? Lets think about how else it might be used. What if the government was looking to arrest someone, the moment you see them the glasses identify them; but, you don't even know it. You have become an informant and did not know it. Many of us think there are too many cameras filming us now, once these glasses are in use everyone is filming and everything is seen. Now a practical question, would you allow someone in your house who was wearing the glasses?

Lets consider another scenario. As you walk down the street, the glasses identify who each person you see is. It then identifies any connections you may have, such as they are on one of your friends social networks. It might even tell you about what school the person went to or if they are single and on a dating website. All the information that is on the internet about the person could immediately be available to you.

Within my industry there are people who are aware of me even though they have never met me or interacted with me personally. It is very disturbing when I meet someone and they already have an opinion about me. What happens when we raise a generation that expects to know all about you before they meet you? It is not just the loss of privacy; but, the loss of magnanimity.

I want to return to the sex offender for a minute. I know a person who is a registered sex offender. It is not someone who is a friend; but, is a friend of a friend. My understanding is that when she was in her early 20s she had sex with a boy who was under 18. She wasn't a teacher and I don't know much more than what I have said. Whatever happened happened around 15 years ago is my understanding. She was convicted or plead guilty and received whatever punishment the court chose. At what point does is she free of her past mistakes? What if the person had been arrested for drugs 20 years ago, should that still be information that is used to identify them for the rest of their lives?

Just some thoughts and things to consider. Peace.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

You bring up some very valid points about the properties and concerns that this sort of technology presents as it progresses. I sincerely hope that despite the continual advancement in this technology, that it would be completely voluntary and people should always have a right to privacy and anonymity if they so choose. We should never sacrifice a loss of privacy (which should be an inalienable right) due to the progression of technology or any other reason for that matter unless it is volunteered.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have to agree some very valid points raised here AQ, but I'm not familiar with Google Glasses, I will have to do a search on return from work to find out more.

If they are how they sound then big brother is truly everywhere.

It is almost like a science fiction movie coming true

I will catch up on my return.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

Dear studio500,

I will provide a link to a recent thread about the glasses. The OP also includes a video. I will also include a link to your thread.

Googles Project Glass (google goggles),

PhotoDNA Tracking Big Brother OWNS YOUR FACE In Every Age, Shape and Form!,

The ways in which these technologies can be combined and misused are limitless.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I can see other things they may be used for like equipping cops with them.

The cop can then walk down the street or in any public place and the glasses will identify any criminals he sees.

A even better one that i like is equipping undercover cops with them and having the cops go to gun shows looking for felons that are violating the law just by walking in the door of a gun show..

i know that the cops in Reno Nevada have put facial recognition cameras at gun shows to spot felons and a number of felons from Calif have been arrested for going to Nevada gun shows.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Putting a constant source of Electro Magnetism on your head is a bad idea
on many levels...

It is bad for your Brain and the neurological system which functions upon depolarizations/currents

It is also bad for you on a cellular level, it interferes with mitosis which is the process where cells
become abnormal.

If society does not question the wisdom in this, it COULD be a very bad thing for health.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As with any technology, this one is hackable. And all will be logged.

Soon, whatever someone thinks you should perceive will be what is actually perceived.

This is beyond stupid. The average lazy American will lap this up.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
if i see people wearing these i WILL break them and especialy my family this is the worst thing since torn bread

top topics

join