It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This just goes to show ya, that no good deed goes unpunished. So maybe next time you think about doing the right thing, read this first.

Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems. But that "miracle" quickly came and went after police seized a $12,000 tip that was left at her table. Knutson filed a lawsuit in Clay County District Court stating that the money is rightfully hers. Police argue it is drug money.

"Even though I desperately needed the money as my husband and I have five children, I feel I did the right thing by calling the Moorhead Police," Knutson said in the lawsuit. Police seized the money and originally told Knutson that if no one claimed it after 60 days, it was hers. She was later told 90 days, Richie said. When 90 days passed, Knutson was still without the $12,000.

Here's the full story.

Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Well I've heard about this happening in speed traps where law enforcement are actually looking for large sums of cash so they confiscate it. And where the police have taken money from people who had legitimate reasons for having large sums of cash.

Seems to me they just wanted the money to put in their coffers, so they could buy some new toys.
edit on 5-4-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Already posted. www.abovetopsecret.com...

just sayin'

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This sort of thing has been going on for years, and has always disgusted me. Who would put drug money on a table in a public place? Actually, I think it would have been better for the benefactor to have found a better way to deliver such a large sum of money to the woman anonymously, but still, nothing wrong with giving away money. There is a level at which a large monetary gift must be declared on taxes, but I think it's more than 12k.

I heard another story a few years back in which a man was making I think agricultural purchases (no, not that; legitimate agricultural purchases!) in Mexico, and had to deal in a cash-only basis, and had his money confiscated. It's pretty obvious to me that the authorities don't actually believe they are confiscating drug money in such cases, but are just doing it because they can, using the great new Amerikan ideal of "guilty until proven innocent" as an excuse.

Good to see someone fighting back. I like to see publicity on the internet and in other media making a difference, as in the recent "pink slime" debacle, and hope something comes of this for the good, since it is really a more important issue than pink slime, as nasty as pink slime can be...

Oh, missed that this was already posted. I'll transfer my comments there.
edit on 5-4-2012 by godspetrat because: already posted.

new topics

join