It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to Take Motor Vehicles Away From the American Public!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
the car manufacturers could make cars a lot safer and the governments could make the roads a lot safer. it still astounds me that belgium is the only country in the world with a fully lit motorway system and norway it seems to be impossible to overtake on the motorways. it's time the roads were reworked to make them safer (how i don't know but someone will). i'm pretty sure the drivers also have the most responsibility if you are not 100% concentrating then it could be deadly. just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Actually...

I think there's a decent case to be made that our car culture is ridiculously overdone, for a myriad of destructive reasons.

Perhaps we SHOULD reduce our use of cars. It's gotten us nowhere really quickly!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Nice.

You absolutely CAN NOT give any logical response to even ONE of my points, however tongue in cheek they are delivered, therefore you feel a need to initiate a personal attack against me, to obfuscate that fact.

Go for it, babe! I got a bunny trained on you this very instant!

Make my day!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Mr. Zodeaux, I grow more and more fond of your satires everyday. I was just at the point of making my own "Time To Take Away X From the American Public" in inspiration of you, when lo'-and-behold you've beat me to it! I applaud the craftsmanship you put into your literary works. Do continue, please.
edit on 6-4-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: Because I like seeing this green and italic text.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I wanna play this game!

"Time to take..." the earth away from the humans!

"According to Farm Animal Rights Movement, approximately 10 billion land animals are killed every year for food
"Greenhouse gasses added to atmosphere in 2012: 8,761,568,726 and counting"

Get real. "Taking away" anything is not going to keep humans from being humans. Its just going to make them find worse ways to screw things up. Give it up.

"I don't think peace is possible, unless humans stop being so arrogant and thinking they're the best species, just because they can talk and mass manufacture things."
-by that random stranger called Andrew

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
(2009 - causes of death - emergency room visits) "In 2009, 1.2 million emergency department (ED) visits (an increase of 98.4% since 2004) were related to misuse or abuse of pharmaceuticals, compared with 1.0 million ED visits related to use of illicit drugs such as heroin and coc aine (3)."
Source:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Vital Signs: Overdoses of Prescription Opioid Pain Relievers — United States, 1999–2008," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (Atlanta, GA: 2011), Vol. 60, No. 43, p. 1487.
www.cdc.gov...

Time to Take Emergency Rooms Away From the American Public!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I will trade in my cars and guns in exchange for a tank.
Think about it, nobody will try to jack my tank at a red-light.
Head on collisions?, hell I could practically survive driving off a cliff in a tank.
Protect my property - a tank in the yard would be an excellent burglar deterrent. "Crazy mofo lives there, pass."
Those certain kids/men riding bikes in suits/ties will no longer knock on my door.
Get to work on time because people will get out of my way, and if they don't, well I'll think "road's kinda bumpy today".
No getting stuck in ice/slush/ruts in the winter, if I hit black ice, just bump off the median or roll down into a ditch and back out on the road.
The tank can seat several people so I can drive in the HOV lane and go "green" by carpooling.
The tank can be an RV, ATV, SUV, clubhouse, safe-room, X-Box all-in-one. Take it anywhere and everywhere and feel safe while having fun.

Deer hunting anyone? Hop in.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat

Hey. Dimwit. INTENTIONAL car accidents are very few and far between. Intentional firearms deaths and injuries are not.

Intentional knife deaths (stabbings and self-inflicted wounds) are also much higher than unintentional knife deaths. Guess we should restrict those too. Looks like I'll be cutting my steak with a butter-knife from now on.

You have to take a regular test and be licensed to drive. You don't (for the most part) for firearms.

Have you ever taken a driving test? You'd have to be very, very incompetent not to pass. I know PLENTY of dangerous drivers who can pass the driving exam.

You can operate a gun while drunk. Not a car.

Actually no, you can't. Check your state's laws. I haven't found one yet that doesn't have a law specifically for that.

This is about as stupid a comparison as I have ever seen. No wonder you people aren't taken seriously. The sad thing is, you really thought you were smart when you posted this.

Not really.

Argument:

If we banned cars - because citizens are clearly too irresponsible to operate them, as seen by the number of deaths involving auto accidents - and made it so only the government could operate/own them (because obviously only the government is responsible enough, and will keep us safe), then maybe it would cut down on auto-related deaths.

The same argument, but for gun control:

If we banned guns - because citizens are clearly too irresponsible to operate them, as seen by the number of deaths involving guns - and made it so only the government could operate/own them (because obviously only the government is responsible enough, and will keep us safe), then maybe it would cut down on gun-related deaths.

Seems pretty similar to me.

The Second Amendment needs to be repealed, absolutely and positively.

And leave all public protection to the police? No thanks. I'd rather keep my right to defend myself.

Don't forget that the government has a pretty extensive record when it comes to murder. I, for one, have no criminal record whatsoever.
edit on 6-4-2012 by CaptainIraq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Somebody that would kill you with a gun would probably kill you with a baseball bat or sword, or maybe even a crossbow. They want you dead. In the end a drastic reduction in the number of humans would be the best possible thing for the Earth.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The numbers are high, but that is not a solution. Accidents are inevitable when people are using such powerful machines everyday of their life, even if you take them away and start using horses and chariots, people will still fall off and die. Drive safely

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by Furbs

Nice.

You absolutely CAN NOT give any logical response to even ONE of my points, however tongue in cheek they are delivered, therefore you feel a need to initiate a personal attack against me, to obfuscate that fact.

Make my day!

Do not confuse my unwillingness to engage with an illogical mindset as an inability to do so. Your banter is absurd, your 'points' are the meat and potatoes of logical fallacy.

I was not personally attacking you. I merely stated my opinion. Your mindset is flawed at the basest of levels and I am happy that there are laws in place to regulate your actions. Have all of the thoughts you want, but don't expect others to take your ramblings seriously.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I believe the whole 'disarming' the public as a public safety measure is bollocks, IMHO. Fact is, if you're thinking about killing someone, you will do it with whatever tool you have at your disposal, be it a gun, a knife, a bomb, a cyanide-spiked cup of tea, etc etc etc. To say that guns per se are the reason behind murder rates is both an over-generalization and a fallacy. May the misuse or mishandling of guns lead to accidents? Sure, but also does driving your car while texting. That the school shootings may not have occurred if those kids had not had access to guns is also pretty debatable. If they were as aggravated as to even think about actually murdering their classmates in cold blood, I'm pretty sure they would have come up with whatever means to accomplish that very same thing, perhaps even to a higher, more encompassing degree, like this!

Now, and this is my personal belief, what we're actually seeing is a growing, global trend to demonize gun ownership while law enforcement agencies and governments all over the world continue to impose on people's most fundamental rights and liberties while at the same time allowing fringe paramilitary/criminal organisations to thrive like never before. To you Americans I say, fight for your Constitutional Right to bear arms with tooth and nail ( and barrel!
) What the elites want is an unprotected, defenseless population that will pose no threat to their schemes, and they will hold the 'public safety' banner, like they've already done with so many former liberties, to manipulate you into submission. DO NOT ALLOW THIS. See yourselves in the mirror of other countries where the population has been disarmed and where the government is trampling all over them just because they know any true opposition force has already been neutralized. The day the US of A loses this one last fundamental right, it will be the doom of the whole world, I'm telling you.

I had never been a gun apologist before. Ever. But if you guys want to know the reason behind my change of heart, you can find it on this post.
edit on 6-4-2012 by DarkVeela because: Spelling. English is not my first language, sorry!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I suppose we could take cars away and go back to walking... or horses maybe. But then the over reactionaries would get ahold of them as well and wind up like this:

Personally , I'll stick with cars for now, as little as possible.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If we didnt drive cars cops would basically be out of a job so im all for it!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Wow ... i just finished my paper i had to write.

I do not understand how hard this is to understand.

America experiences LESS crime per its population percentage than does the UNITED KINGDOM.

If you MOVE to the United Kingdom , you have more of a chance of being a victim of a CRIME than you do in the United States ....

I mean i do not see how this is a hard concept to understand.

SO statically , the UNITED KINGDOM is the more dangerous country than the United States of America.

I could use another country , i am not trying to pick on the United Kingdom , it's a simple comparison of crime statistics.
edit on 6-4-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Because you are far more likely to suffer a VIOLENT CRIME in the US. And you said that Australia, UK, and New Zealand were "the most dangerous places to live" on the planet. That is not true, as is shown by the facts you provide.

Had you said "Australia, New Zealand and UK have a higher percentage of total crime!" and linked your facts, I would have agreed with you. But you did not. Total crime includes bike theft, vandalism, etc. So while there may be more OVERALL crime, it is NOT VIOLENT, as it is HERE in the US. And then you proceeded to insult me when I informed you that you were wrong.

Maybe you can trick some other people by changing your argument after the fact, but not me.

Go write another paper, kid. Hopefully you actually learn something, but it doesnt sound like it.
edit on 6-4-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoonsince89
reply to post by jar11

Agreed, cars arnt the problem, its the people.

That's right. Cars don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people. Hey! It's time to take the public away from the public!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by Furbs

Nice.

Make my day!

Do not confuse my unwillingness to engage with an illogical mindset as an inability to do so. Your banter is absurd, your 'points' are the meat and potatoes of logical fallacy.

Oh, I'm not confused, snookums. You were just as clear in that post that you are out of ammo as you are in this one.

I was not personally attacking you. I merely stated my opinion. Your mindset is flawed at the basest of levels and I am happy that there are laws in place to regulate your actions. Have all of the thoughts you want, but don't expect others to take your ramblings seriously.

Um, yeah, ok.I suppose that's why it got zapped for "manners and decorum" issues. No, I didn't call in the Cavalry - I never do, since I'd prefer not to have MY posts zapped as well, like the one that got gigged for "off topic" right under yours.

In all honesty, I'd rather your post had stood as a monument to irrationality, but them's the breaks.

Flawed mindset? You mean like the one you have here that causes you to assume that I care what the law says? Now, the fact is, maybe I do, and maybe I don't, but in the end, the law has yet to be written that will prevent me from doing any old thing I want. It doesn't kick in until AFTER I've already done it, and then, my boy, it might just be a bit too late.

There seem to be a lot of folks like that around, too. So you go ahead and pray to your laws, and I'll hang with Mr. Mossberg. We'll see which one provides more protection.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

It seems to me that if you take guns away, the use of vehicles might go way up.

The truth is, that when people make a decision to kill. They are beyond the point of no return and will most likely carry out that decision.
edit on 6-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join