It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by diamondoftheworld
I never read the Bible but I feel that I know that book ,I wonder what is the Bible about!

Are you kidding?
No I am not kidding,why should I be?Kidding!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I never read the Bible but I feel that I know that book ,I wonder what is the Bible about!

Are you kidding?

Um...the Bible is a historical bestseller...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Are you kidding?

No it is not ,times made it so,but...The Bible is the bread of all,well it is because bread is the primordial food!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Are you kidding?

No it is not ,times made it so,but...The Bible is the bread of all,well it is because bread is the primordial food!

You just said you didn't know what it was.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Are you kidding?

You see ,hard to believe but...the Book is known in the heart by.....those who created it!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Are you kidding?

You see ,hard to believe but...the Book is known in the heart by.....those who created it!

You say you don't know it, yet you know it because those who created it know it in their heart, implying you created the Bible because you know it without knowing it.

...makes perfect sense.

edit on CThursdayam010125f25America/Chicago12 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NaptownBrown
reply to post by Starchild23

eh, if you don't want to believe, thats your choice. I won't try to convince you otherwise. I'll just love you anyway. I say that the Bible is the Word of God. I believe that to be 100% true. I will continue use Jesus as an example for the way to live my life. I am not hurting anybody or throwing insults.

Is it really such a bad thing to love others as I wish to be loved? That seems pretty basic.
Am I really hurting society by rallying around those in need?
Am I harming you or others with the message salvation and everlasting life?

You may think I am 100% wrong and that I am an idiot. That's fine.

BUt what if I am right? What if there is a heaven and a hell? What if Jesus really was the only way to prevent eternal agony?

Maybe you know 100% without a doubt that it is all a lie. The Bible and everything. Maybe it's the greatest hoax in human history. But what if you are wrong? Are you willing to take the chance that you are wrong in this situation? An eternity means forever...it means there is no end. Where would you like to be spending eternity, hypothetically speaking? If you are 100% sure, then it doesn't matter.

You seem like an analytical guy...what if there is a 0.001% chance its all true? You really want to wager your soul on it? You are free to do so.

Nap, you seem more open-minded than most of the religious debaters, so I will twist a biblical story to show where the die-hard fanatics go wrong.

The story is of the master sending his three servants out into the world. Only, not with money, but with the opportunity to broaden their minds.

After a time the first servant came back. Crying, he said to his master, "I really tried to increase my knowledge, but I only ended up asking the wrong questions. When I did ask the right questions I couldn't understand the answers."

And, the master was please.

The second servant came back. With eyes bright and full of knowledge, he said, "I have studied math, physics, and evolution. I have acquired a bit of understanding on how the world works, and indeed, the universe. I have observed human nature, both the good and the bad. I can now see that all things are connected, and how each and every event is brought on by a previous logical event.

And,the master was pleased.

Then the third servant returned, and with a stupid grin on his face, he proclaimed, "I closed my eyes to everything because I only need to know what you tell me, Master. What need have I to understand anything when I will just simply believe whatever you say.

The master severely admonished him. "What master would ever need a stupid sheep for a servant? I have enough of them in the field! How can I carry on an intelligent conversation with one so ignorant? How can you understand what I need of you if you refuse to use the power of knowledge and reasoning that I have given you? You already bore me, go away!
------------------------------------
To believe in just what the bible tells us makes us mindless, unquestioning sheep. If I know anything of what a god would want, it is most certainly not this.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NaptownBrown
reply to post by jiggerj

so what do you put your faith in?

Why does anyone need faith when there is solid provable and repeatable truth? I exist. I am doing the best I can. If I make a mistake I have my own guilt to contend with, so I don't need a god or a bible to tell me I've done wrong. And we don't need a bible to tell us that stealing is wrong (or killing, or adultery...) because if I steal from you, then I make stealing acceptable, which means I make it okay for others to steal from me.

I know that you exist, and that we are going through this life at the same time. We are fellow humans. We are brothers. If I want no harm to come to me and my loved ones, then I must protect you so that you will protect me. These things are logical. We don't need magic; we just need each other.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleSun

You never did tell us if you're a descendant of the bloodline of Jesus Christ...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Here is something to consider; Why did the writings of the bible suddenly stop after the 5th century? Why is it that all we have is what was written thousands of years ago and nothing about from the 5th century until now? Did suddenly everything become hunk dory and nothing more to teach? I am not buying it at all. None of it makes any sense why there hasn't been any new prophets for 2 thousand years and suddenly "GOD" stopped talking to people. It doesn't make any sense why a "GOD" would suddenly just stop talking to everyone and say hey I don't see any more problems in the world and I am going to stop teaching and talking to my people.

What has really happened is the world of people has woken up for the last 2 thousand years and religion can no longer be used as a tool to control the masses as it once did. That's the real truth and people need to move on from ancient writings unto which were written by 3rd party people and not one single shred of evidence points to any character in the bible wrote it themselves.

It's all hear say and written by people hundreds even thousands of years later after the supposed fact of when the events occurred. In our modern era we wouldn't even consider anything someone wrote hundreds or thousands of years later. The book is a story book about morals to keep the masses in control at the time. The people at that time were barbaric and primitive thinkers. So society had to come up with a way to move people forward to become less barbaric and primitive. In a couple of hundred years from now that book will be long forgotten about and people in the future will only look back at it as a story book, no different than a nursery rhyme.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Why does anyone need faith when there is solid provable and repeatable truth? I exist. I am doing the best I can. If I make a mistake I have my own guilt to contend with, so I don't need a god or a bible to tell me I've done wrong. And we don't need a bible to tell us that stealing is wrong (or killing, or adultery...) because if I steal from you, then I make stealing acceptable, which means I make it okay for others to steal from me. I know that you exist, and that we are going through this life at the same time. We are fellow humans. We are brothers. If I want no harm to come to me and my loved ones, then I must protect you so that you will protect me. These things are logical. We don't need magic; we just need each other.
reply to post by jiggerj

And yet...
I see some guy shouting at his child down the road from me on my way to work. The father is angry, the child looks scared. I think, 'Wow man, heavy handed of you! Chill out, love your child! Aint no thing!'
I have made an automatic judgement upon that person based on:
1: My perception of the situation,
2: My degree and standard of right and wrong by which I have the personal audacity to say to any other human being, 'Hey, that's wrong, man!'

Now, change sides.
What if I AM THE FATHER berating my child. Maybe someone is there to observe me doing so. Maybe they aren't.
The fact is, by nature I am more likely/willing and able to 'cut myself some slack' for being the very person that I just judged someone else for being.
My argument is: 'Well hey, I'd had a long day/ a lousy day/ someone cut me up on my way home/ a friend had bad news, etc....we are more inclined to be easier on ourselves/justify our wrong doing from any number of moral/consequential positions, that we are prepared to do for our fellow human being.
To summarize: If THEY do what we know is wrong.....shame on them for breaking the code!
If I DO what I know is wrong.....Well, I got a whole load of excuses to justify it in my owen eyes and mayber I can persuade you in the process.

Monkey see....monkey not do.....
We PLAY the code but we don't LIVE the code. (Execpt on OUR TERMS AND CIRCUMSTANCES).

=

EPIC FAIL, Man.......

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Thank you for that story. I do believe I will use it when I speak to people about my philosophies from now on...

That is, if you don't mind me "stealing" it.

edit on CMondaypm555559f59America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: I felt like it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by NaptownBrown

eh, if you don't want to believe, thats your choice.

Interesting choice of words. Choose to believe? I just had someone tell me it's fact.

So which is it? Fact or faith? Knowledge, or belief?

Perception is more powerful than truth, but it will only hide so much of the world in your mind...

The Bible is most certainly fact...I don't think I am disputing that with my statement. You are telling me that it is not fact....thus it is your choice to disregard the facts.

If you read a history book and determine George Washington was not the first POTUS then you are choosing to disregard that fact. Doesn't make it not true, just not true in your mind.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWISTEDWORDS
Here is something to consider; Why did the writings of the bible suddenly stop after the 5th century? Why is it that all we have is what was written thousands of years ago and nothing about from the 5th century until now? Did suddenly everything become hunk dory and nothing more to teach? I am not buying it at all. None of it makes any sense why there hasn't been any new prophets for 2 thousand years and suddenly "GOD" stopped talking to people. It doesn't make any sense why a "GOD" would suddenly just stop talking to everyone and say hey I don't see any more problems in the world and I am going to stop teaching and talking to my people.

What has really happened is the world of people has woken up for the last 2 thousand years and religion can no longer be used as a tool to control the masses as it once did. That's the real truth and people need to move on from ancient writings unto which were written by 3rd party people and not one single shred of evidence points to any character in the bible wrote it themselves.

It's all hear say and written by people hundreds even thousands of years later after the supposed fact of when the events occurred. In our modern era we wouldn't even consider anything someone wrote hundreds or thousands of years later. The book is a story book about morals to keep the masses in control at the time. The people at that time were barbaric and primitive thinkers. So society had to come up with a way to move people forward to become less barbaric and primitive. In a couple of hundred years from now that book will be long forgotten about and people in the future will only look back at it as a story book, no different than a nursery rhyme.

Most parts of the world are still primitive and barbaric. Oddly enough, many of those places make ownership of a Bible illegal. Why are they scared of it? Because, contrary to your statement, many churches control the masses with deception...they assume their followers will not actually read The Bible.

Reading The Bible actually frees us. I feel under the control of nobody because I now understand that God has already provided me with everything I need to live. I don't bow to my church or worship my religion...I worship the God of Heaven and Earth. He created the Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. He created man on the 6th day, because He had provided everything that man would need prior to man's creation (water, land, sky, animals, plants). God rested on the 7th day, not because He was tired...but because He was finished. His work was done.

All we are meant to do as humans is to receive what has been given to us by God. That is freedom. And we praise His name for it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

Leave judgment and criticism to God, for only He can judge fairly.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NaptownBrown

This actually comes from the LITERAL interpretation of the Bible.

The reason the title says, "The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are" is because the true interpretation of the Bible would have been beyond us at the Bible's conception, but it's time for that entire philosophy to be overturned and the true meaning to be brought to light.

Which means your sentiment of judgment is a little outdated.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join