It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by Starchild23

• Homosexuals are unnatural
• Raped women must marry their rapist
• Disobedient children should be stoned to death
• It is permissible to keep slaves
• It is permissible to beat slaves to within an inch of their life
• The world is a flat four-sided figure with corners held by pillars
• Eating animals with hooves is unforgivable
• Wearing polyester and other blended clothing is unforgivable
• Light existed before solar bodies
• Day and night existed before the sun
• The sun and moon existed before stars

The Bible was discarded as a moral compass, and spiritual and scientific guide because it is neither moral, scientific, nor spiritually sound. People need to wake up and quit looking for God in the Bible. God's not there, never was. It was just men controlling men with a book half of them couldn't read, and the other half used as a political tool for domination.

~ Wandering Scribe

Homosexuality is an offense against a God who designed sex for more than just pleasure.

Rapists are accountable to their victims and must provide lifelong financial support for their victims.

All children are disobedient. This verse is referring to adults who are repeat offender criminals. It is suggesting that you don't go easy on them just because they are family.

Slavery only lasted 7 years and then the slave was freed and all debts wiped. The only permanent slave was one who chose to remain with their master.

It was permissible to beat a slave in some circumstances but if you permanently injured or killed a slave, you would have to pay compensation to the slaves family (for injury) or could be stoned to death for murder.

This description of the world is a metaphor used in a song.

Eating the flesh of an unclean animal made you ritually unclean for a period of time (you were not allowed to take part in religious activities).

Fabrics made of plant fiber mixed with animal fibers were cheap but would not last due to each fiber type having different care requirements. This meant blended fabrics were not washed ever, so they'd last. This is simply unhygienic.

Light (radiant electromagnetism or photons) did exist before solar bodies.

The approximately 12 hour periods that could define day and night, existed before the Sun.

The Sun and Moon and stars were created at the same time according to Genesis 1: 14-19

The Bible is morally, spiritually and scientifically sound.

You have to remember that for over 400 years Israel survived and thrived with no king, no central government, no police and no prisons.

edit on 6/4/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

What's scary is that you find your explanations reasonable.

A rapist victim should marry her rapist for monetary reasons?
We should not take it easy on children, even if that means stoning them?
It's okay to have slaves as long as its only 7 years?

I could go on, but no wonder you find no contradictions in the bible. You're totally blind to them!
edit on 6-4-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

You have to remember that for over 400 years Israel survived and thrived with no king, no central government, no police and no prisons.

edit on 6/4/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)
You say that as if it's a great feat. Hundreds of laws where each one's punishment is death or similar will control people like that. Fear is not a benign, loving, compassionate attribute.

But I guess you support authoritarianism.
Barbaric, like much of the OT - shame on you for supporting it. They lived in tribal times; their deity was a tribal one; their laws were tribal. Then an enlightened one like Jesus comes around preaching love and tolerance who's gaining many followers because it's a hell of a lot better than getting stoned to death for every misstep. But no, we need to kill this man and threaten or kill any others that share his point of view. So "the Pharisees and the scholars hide the keys of knowledge" from us, and so most of the early "Christians" had to keep their work esoteric. What we have today is a watered down "Christ For Dummies" that's been severely tampered with, and Gnosticism - which barely survived the marauders and early church establishment.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The bible (new testament) would have been fine. They should have simply left all that mystical mumbo-jumbo out of it and let it stand on good moral principles.

The old testament is a neat fantasy book about a really jerk god eating the world...not sure why that was included frankly. There is little to learn in how to live in the OT..the NT is a good book to live by if you eliminate the magic stuff and just study the core message (love yourself, love your neighbor, love..."god" (whatever god is to you..be it a cloud man, the universe in general, all life, etc)

The danger and destruction of society comes mostly from old testament stuff. What annoys me is when you read history...so called christians were doing pretty much the exact opposite of what Christ taught. Show me one instance of Jesus deciding to slam a person for being gay or running from a and I will eat a cat.

Anyhow, decent thread...not overly thought provoking..but sure. If people weren't such dumbarses when reading the bible, they would understand the point moreso than hold up a sign saying god hates fags and the like.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yeah. Although mysticism (which isn't even really touched upon in the Bible) is just physics we don't yet fully understand.

The church established itself atop the foundation of fear with the sole purpose to control - I'm sure you probably know that. Because of that, people are so afraid to question that they blindly follow whatever the church throws at them. If a creator didn't want it's creations to think for themselves, we'd all be mindless vassals. Clearly, humanity isn't so mindless, but thanks to all the confusion out there it sure looks like we're a bunch of idiots. It wouldn't be so if people just took a few steps back, stopped, and actually tried to put the pieces together rather than jumping into the middle of a herd that only knows to follow it's leader into ignorance.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxThexGreatxEscapexx
The bible has a ton of contradictions. You'll never get anywhere with it unless you learn the original language the bible was translated from. Latin and Greek, Leo Tolstoy did it.

You said it. When the King James Bible was translated into English, I'm sure that there was lots of poetic license taken with the translation to make it make sense.

However, it's now this version that most right wing religious nutbars take literally, even though it was never meant to be taken literally in the first place.

They also skipped the all important preface "any relation to any person, living or dead, or any historical or current event is purely fictional"

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Dear Starchild23,
I have one question for you: Did you read the entire ETCS Sumerian translation prior to writing this post?

I highly doubt it, otherwise you'd come to the same conclusion I have: The Bible is a cheap rip off carbon copy of many of the stories from 3000+ years before it. If there are any hidden teachings, they are much much older than the man made fiction which is the Bible, and religion create by man, watched over by man, ruled over by man in the Vatican.

I think you have a bit more enlightenment to achieve yet dear. Good luck with that.

T

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well im glad im not from the middle east so i do not confront anyone who knows the book perfectly,i dont know the meaning of taking foreskins from boys,or to have many wives,or to offer the life of my kid to a certain god who writes his word and comandments in an offset book.So be careful when you open one of this books god talks to you ,and when you close the book you are on your own.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Dear Starchild23,
I have one question for you: Did you read the entire ETCS Sumerian translation prior to writing this post?

I highly doubt it, otherwise you'd come to the same conclusion I have: The Bible is a cheap rip off carbon copy of many of the stories from 3000+ years before it. If there are any hidden teachings, they are much much older than the man made fiction which is the Bible, and religion create by man, watched over by man, ruled over by man in the Vatican.

I think you have a bit more enlightenment to achieve yet dear. Good luck with that.

T

And these many stories don't give us great lessons? Mankind outgrows fairytales, but it doesn't outgrow history.

That's why they pass the Bible off as a history book.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Originally posted by xxThexGreatxEscapexx
The bible has a ton of contradictions. You'll never get anywhere with it unless you learn the original language the bible was translated from. Latin and Greek, Leo Tolstoy did it.

The original languages were Hebrew Aramaic and Greek ... not Latin.

True. Latin is a Roman language...it is very possible that Latin was used during the later stages of the Byzantine empire.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by football6
Everything you speak of OP, is great. These are good things you are saying. However, the fact remains that the bible is a man-made book. Every word in the bible was written by people. These are merely good lesson stories, if anything at all. You can certainly let it guide your life, but understand that if you let it be in control of your life, you are putting yourself under the control of man.

If we don't have something to guide our lives, how do you expect us to survive morally?

Are we capable of guiding ourselves? I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's 2012. It's time to think outside the box and see the bible for what it is.
All the virgin births? Alien abductees, artificial inseminations.
Ark of the Covenant? A weapon of mass destruction. Wherever it was carried, destruction followed. Visions/dreams of ethereal beings/angels and 'heaven'? Alien and ufo encounters.
Adam's Rib/Eve? A surgical procedure involving cloning and stem cells. The first line of kingship. Early hominid and Annunaki hybrids.
Elohim? Hebrew for 'gods' (plural)
Nephilim? Raphaim? Giants. 'Men of old, men of reknown'. The offspring of 'Fallen Angels' interbreeding with the daughters of Man.
The Creator 'God' - Sumerian god Enki, who spared Noah and kin. The Deluge/Flood bringer - Enlil (step-brother and rival of Enki).

So let it be written..so let it be done with :-)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
EVERYTHING you need to know about the bible right here!
www.freethoughtnation.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

It is historical. How you interpret it is what matters.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think you are definitely on the right track. As far as I can tell, anyone who claims to have all the right answers really just believes there is nothing outside of his/her own realm of understanding. When, in reality, there are many things about our universe and existence which no human in this current evolution could possibly understand completely.

I say this because I, like you, can see the bits of truth coming from various religions and sciences and maths which fit together like puzzle pieces to form something that makes perfect sense, even though it is not commonly accepted.

I have read parts of the "accepted" Bible as well as some of the "lost books" in English and Ancient Greek. What I found is that each book should be read as a separate book and considered as a separate interpretation of a group of lessons. The differences in various accounts of Jesus' life, for example, are a clear indicator that the lessons from the parables and riddles held within these books are the real purpose the books were written, and that "The Story of Jesus" was secondary to the information the writers wanted to set down for future readers.

So, yes, love is the answer.

That crazy little thing called love really is all you need.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Starchild23
Does that make the Bible a tome of lies, or us a race of wooly headed sheep?
I just thought I'd get this perspective out there.

Here's the deal. If you had what you considered to be the most important message of all time, and you wanted to give it to everybody and make sure they understood it, how would you present it? As a puzzle? As a riddle? As the opposite of what you really wanted to say?

One would present it in a way that every person might be able to understand it. Because we all think differently and percieve things [&words] differently, the words would surely be presented in many different ways.. I would think?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Atheism is an idiot's belief as much as any other religion is. Why? Because it's a belief--it's based on nothing factual or empirical.

One must be open to the idea of a god - as asinine as this concept, as it's portrayed by religion, tends to sound - in the same way one must be open to the idea of no god.

'Belief' predicated on trifles light as air, such as tales written in books and supposition based on unwieldy astronomical values, makes FSM smile...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hoonsince89

- Everything is God, you are god, strive to become god.
- Learn to love everything and everyone. Most of all compassion.
- Forgive.
- Seek the light (Kundalini)

Almost exactly what I'm saying. But you missed one thing: seek personal wisdom. Don't try to be all-knowing; just recognize the wisdom within yourself, that holds true of yourself...not to the point of intentional ignorance, but to the point you can reconcile your beliefs with the truths of the universe. Learn to discern when something is needed, because sometimes failure is necessary. You must be discerning, in order to detect the complex patterns of life. And that requires parts of both religion and science...metaphysical and physical. You must keep an open mind.

Other than that, spot on. Well done!

edit on CFridayam575703f03America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocha123
Well im glad im not from the middle east so i do not confront anyone who knows the book perfectly,i dont know the meaning of taking foreskins from boys,or to have many wives,or to offer the life of my kid to a certain god who writes his word and comandments in an offset book.So be careful when you open one of this books god talks to you ,and when you close the book you are on your own.

The Old Testament is a set of histories. This is why there are many chapters denoting bloodlines. This is also why it is made up of books which retell traditional and ancestral stories of creation, floods, giants, kings, exoduses, etc.

The New Testament is a set of lessons for life. This is why it centers around Jesus and various miracles, good works, deaths, resurrections, etc.

Neither of these compilations is meant to be taken 100% literally, one should use his/her mind to examine the information given and consider how it relates to his/her own real life and real situations, not just how someone else says it was meant to be. Thus, when the book is closed, you are on your own, but you have some information about how life works and references on which to base the types of choices you want to make in your life.

Revelations, though, is a set of prophecies. I do not believe it should have been included in the New Testament, it doesn't really fit in there. This is definitely metaphorical, just as any modern (last 500 years) prophecies are.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So, what if the Bible is actually a riddle book telling the truth in a roundabout way, and we're just too thick to comprehend it?

Does that make the Bible a tome of lies, or us a race of wooly headed sheep?

the Christian Bible is a playbook for those who willingly accept the Gospel Virtual Reality paradigm
each actual actor creates this alternative reality/morality play role for any number of different reasons
~ their price of admission into this 'theater' is 'faith & belief'....

the old adage that Ignorance is bliss applies here, not because of a skewed knowledge of facts
but rather being unawares that the role they engage in, is both contrived and an artifical fantasy role which only has relevance to the rest of the cast of believers... their brethern

the 'dungeons & dragons' since 1500 bce till the present

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sablicious
Atheism is an idiot's belief as much as any other religion is. Why? Because it's a belief--it's based on nothing factual or empirical.

One must be open to the idea of a god - as asinine as this concept, as it's portrayed by religion, tends to sound - in the same way one must be open to the idea of no god.

'Belief' predicated on trifles light as air, such as tales written in books and supposition based on unwieldy astronomical values, makes FSM smile...

Atheism is more logically sound than Theism in one important way.

The absence of empirical evidence of a God or Gods.

One can be sitting in my garden and tell me the bush behind me is on consumed in fire. I can deduce without turning around that it is not so. How? No evidence that it is on fire. No smoke. No heat. No smells. No weird shadows being cast. God is like this flaming bush, a story that was told with no smoke, heat, smells, or shadows.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join