It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Representative Clyburn (D, SC) says Voter ID Laws Just Like Jim Crow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Sorry, out to lunch on this one.

Almost every country in the world requires you to have ID to go vote. It's hardly a return to Jim Crowe laws to ask people to have identification when they want to participate in an election.

Some sort of Government issued ID (sometimes two pieces) is required to vote in Canada, UK, and many other western democracies, even when you're previously added to the voter registration rolls.

Not having voters produce ID is akin to admitting that you will have election fraud in every election.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Fair enough. Make a national ID and we can use that to vote. Thereby foregoing issues of moving between states and not having a proper state ID on hand, as is the case with numerous college kids.

I wouldn't be opposed to ID laws if we instituted a national ID. I still stand by my idea that some politicians are focusing too much energy on voter ID than they are on getting more people to vote in general and feel that they're in the wrong because of it.

There is a question of Constitutionality with a national I.D.

Constitutionality

Some critics claim that the Real ID Act violates the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution as a federal legislation in an area that, under the terms of the Tenth Amendment, is the province of the states. Thus, Anthony Romero, the executive director of ACLU, stated: "... Real ID is an unfunded mandate that violates the Constitution's 10th Amendment on state powers, destroys states' dual sovereignty and consolidates every American's private information, leaving all of us far more vulnerable to identity thieves.".[67]

Former Republican U.S. Representative Bob Barr wrote in a February 2008 article: "A person not possessing a Real ID Act-compliant identification card could not enter any federal building, or an office of his or her congressman or senator or the U.S. Capitol. This effectively denies that person their fundamental rights to assembly and to petition the government as guaranteed in the First Amendment." [68]

The DHS final rule [12] regarding implementation of the Real ID Act discusses a number of constitutional concerns raised by the commenters on the proposed version of this rule. The DHS rule explicitly rejects the assertion that the implementation of the Real ID Act will lead to violations of the citizens' individual constitutional rights (page 5284 of the DHS rule in the Federal register). In relation to the Tenth Amendment argument about violation of states' constitutional rights, the DHS rule acknowledges that that these concerns have been raised by a number of individual commenters and in the comments by some states. The DHS rule does not attempt to rebuff the Tenth Amendment argument directly, but says that the DHS is acting in accordance with the authority granted to it by the Real ID Act and that DHS has been and will be working closely with the states on the implementation of the Real ID Act (pages 5284 and 5317 of the DHS final rule in the Federal Register).
REAL ID Act

A State I.D. is good enough for voter I.D. imo.

I wonder what college kids do now in States that have voter I.D. laws.

Maybe the local States accept out of State I.D. for college people ?
Or maybe they are using college I.D.'s since they are probably already verified by the schools ?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Nearly every industrialized country requires you to register to vote, they don't all require showing your ID.

The ACORN argument only goes so far as to prove registration fraud, not actual voter fraud.

The issue of demanding voters show ID is preposterous when compared to the other issues this country faces when it comes to voting in general. Namely, actually getting people to vote. If requiring an ID to vote has some impact on the ability of someone to vote that causes disenfranchisement, which lowers the number of people voting. We can't even have our elections on weekends in this country. State and local budget cuts force fewer and fewer polling places resulting in longer and longer lines in highly populated areas. Other nations have national holidays to vote, some even allow three days of voting, Australia mandates voting.

Voting in America is a chore, not an event celebrating thousands of years of enlightened thought. Adding another step will do nothing but force fewer and fewer people to want to vote, we wonder why we have a deadlocked congress and moderates get voted out, because all the rational, moderate Americans are sick of the process altogether.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by xuenchen

I never understood this " Show me your papers" mentality.

The America's are so insane these days it's really hard to be proud of being from this Continent anymore.

I thought we decided after WW2 that this sort of thing only lead to bad roads?

If you have a birth certificate or a passport, then you should be allow do do whatever it is you want, vote, drink, whatever, and not be forced to prove your citizenship everywhere you go.

~Tenth

edit on 4/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Let me Bump this,,,, I really don't believe you could function in today's society world without showing ID. You can’t cash a check, travel by plane, how about by train, can you rent a move without being asked for I D. In fact, I know you can’t even enter the Justice Department in Washington without showing a photo ID or any Court House in any City.The average voters understand that it’s only common sense to be asked for your ID because of how easy it is for people to pretend they are someone else, Don't you agree?

Let's take a look at events in the news,,, shall we.

US Attorney General Eric Holder's Ballot to Vote Offered to Total Stranger

Of-Course, Eric Holder is Spinning this as not true.

Holder's DOJ: Evidence of Voter Fraud 'Manufactured'

The Department of Justice is in full-on spin mode over the James O’Keefe Project Veritas tape in which a young white man is offered Attorney General Eric Holder’s ballot. Desperate to prove that voter ID should not be presented in order to obtain a ballot, the DOJ fired back at O’Keefe and Project Veritas today, with a DOJ official telling tried-and-true media ally Talking Points Memo, “It’s no coincidence that these so-called examples of rampant voter fraud consistently turn out to be manufactured ones.”

www.breitbart.com...

Yes, Eric,,,, Obama needs those illegal voters and how about those Register Dead, that still Vote.

O’Keefe’s efforts helped expose the fraud-prone voter-registration group ACORN with his video stings, and has had great success demonstrating this year in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Minnesota just how easy it is to obtain a ballot by giving the name of a dead person who is still on the rolls. Indeed, a new study by the Pew Research Center found at least 1.8 million dead people are still registered to vote. They aren’t likely to complain if someone votes in their place.

www.nationalreview.com...

Vote Early and Vote Often,,,,,But Don't Vote Obama!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thanks. I want to vomit now.

Seriously. I'm sick to my stomach. Just more proof of the criminals in D.C. doing what they do best: wiping their behinds with our rights.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

The subject of slavery is so important that it has two constitutional amendments devoted to it. Can you guess if there's another subject that is the only other to have two constitutional amendments devoted to it?

Take your time. I'll wait.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Prohibition. When did I mention slavery?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Fair enough. Make a national ID and we can use that to vote. Thereby foregoing issues of moving between states and not having a proper state ID on hand, as is the case with numerous college kids.

I wouldn't be opposed to ID laws if we instituted a national ID. I still stand by my idea that some politicians are focusing too much energy on voter ID than they are on getting more people to vote in general and feel that they're in the wrong because of it.

Well, as someone else notes above me, a National ID is a big No No. Not a small one, but a HUGE one. People go outright nuts when it's been mentioned in anything like a serious way. Even after 9/11, as I recall.... State ID's are enough and every state accepts every other state's ID. The more I read this debate in places and hear it across the TV shows the more I think this really is something we need to address OUTSIDE OF VOTING. Seriously....

Perhaps we DO need to offer the simple State ID card w/o fee. Pay for a license or anything else as everyone does...but the whole ID to vote debate does raise ONE fair point about this not being entirely fair. We do, as a nation, charge for something that is basically a requirement just to conduct the most basic business in life. Fair enough all the way around in my mind if we just make that basic level State ID 100% free.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join