It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Representative Clyburn (D, SC) says Voter ID Laws Just Like Jim Crow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Clyburn: Voter ID Laws Just Like Jim Crow
Breitbart -- UPI

Representative Jim Clyburn (D, South Carolina) says the voter I.D. laws are all "Jim Crow".

He cites the same old argument of disenfranchisement of voters.

He talks about poll taxes and literacy tests from the post Civil War period.

IMO, since when do voters have to pass a literacy test or pay a poll tax these days ?

WASHINGTON, April 5 (UPI) --
U.S. House Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn said voter ID laws in South Carolina and elsewhere are reminiscent of post-Reconstruction Jim Crow laws.

Clyburn, D-S.C., and other voting rights advocates warn that laws requiring voters to present photo identification when they go to the polls could disenfranchise millions of Americans in the November elections. He says the laws are similar to the post-Civil War Jim Crow laws enacted in Southern states that imposed poll taxes, literacy tests and other roadblocks to prevent blacks from voting, McClatchy Newspapers reported Thursday.

"It was effective then, and if we aren't vigilant, it will be effective today," Clyburn, who is African-American, said. "We must make sure that people are aware of the danger to our democracy."

State Rep. Alan Clemmons, a Republican who helped develop the law, told McClatchy the law was "in no way" discriminatory.

"Any ID that will get you on an airplane in the United States will get you into a voting booth in South Carolina," Clemmons said.

A new report by the liberal think tank Center for American Progress criticized voter ID laws in South Carolina, Texas and Tennessee for not allowing young people to use college-issued student IDs.

The report said about 25 percent of blacks don't have the types of photo IDs required by such laws, compared with 11 percent of all Americans.

Vote fraud anyone ?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This id crap is ridiculous.....

You need I'd to buy beer
Get into a r rated movie
Get on a plane
Rent a car

The list is endless.

I can't believe ID has NOT been required, it's insanity!

The UNIONS even require it to cast a vote!! More hypocrisy from the lefty loons.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I know several people who dont vote because they'd have to go to the polling place.

Is that like Jim Crow? Nobody comes to their home and hands them a ballot then takes the ballot back to be counted for them so they are disenfranchised?

The best part about these people is that even when the partisan "vote for me" van tries to take them to the polling place they wont go. Too much work to get in.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Show me a disenfranchised voter and I'll sport the $10 bill for the state ID out of my own pocket. When I run out I am SURE there are many more who would step up behind me to KILL this part of the debate entirely. It's a red hearing and it always has been.

No ID means a level of disenfranchisment from *ALL* of society that is so complete in today's modern world that I flat out DO NOT believe those in that situation are just blowing off everything else to see voting as their top priority in life...yet still not important enough to get the ID everyone walking down the street has.

Jim Crow laws sought restore the South to it's "proper" bastion of racist hate after the Confederate politicians and military officers were given amnesty and allowed to rejoin political life in their states. I don't want to get into this...but it might even be worth the time to see which way the partys of that time went pro/against the Crow laws. Dems might be real unpleasantly surprised with that ugly little bit of truth in our national history.

So... If discriminating against people who cannot legally vote makes me a racist then I wear the badge with honor. I'm a racist then. I'm racist against illegal Mexicans, Africans, Europeans, Russians and Asians.

I'm *SO* racist in my support of simply showing an ID to exercise our most precious right as American citizens that, as one can see, I'm against *EVERY* race that isn't legal to vote.
How is that for setting entirely new records for personal levels of racism?

edit on 5-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Why can't they just use the driver's license for a form of ID Why do they need to have a separate for of ID for everything?

And I too, can't believe in this disenfranchised voter crap.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

U.S. Representative Clyburn is an asshat.

What he really meant to say was "requiring voter identification really puts a damper on my party's ability to get votes from illegal aliens."

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Illegal Aliens Caught Voting and Stealing Elections In Florida In Vast Numbers.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I live in SC. We practically give out regular Id's. You telling me they cant come up with 5 dollars to get a ID? Sometimes they will just give you one if you ask. Clyburn has always been chiken little here in SC. He panders daily. Hes also a jerk. He was at where i used to work one day and we had to load something into his tax payer furnished vehicle. So we go to load it and when it would not go in correctly he said "Get out of the way you D--- Cracker" OH you better beleive i got out of the way. I let him load it himself and refused to further help him if he ever came back. MY boss didnt like that but he wanted me to forget about him calling me cracker so he would not look bad. So i personally know how he is at least to ordinary people who arent african american.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa
I live in SC. We practically give out regular Id's. You telling me they cant come up with 5 dollars to get a ID? Sometimes they will just give you one if you ask. Clyburn has always been chiken little here in SC. He panders daily. Hes also a jerk. He was at where i used to work one day and we had to load something into his tax payer furnished vehicle. So we go to load it and when it would not go in correctly he said "Get out of the way you D--- Cracker" OH you better beleive i got out of the way. I let him load it himself and refused to further help him if he ever came back. MY boss didnt like that but he wanted me to forget about him calling me cracker so he would not look bad. So i personally know how he is at least to ordinary people who arent african american.

Clyburn could also be knee jerk reacting to The Governors comments this week, and Her TV appearances.

Almost kind of obvious because this I.D. issue is old news.

Apparently that's about all they can come up with right now.

There really is no good news lately

Also, you would think all the "civil rights" groups would be panting like crazy to pay for I.D.'s for voters.
They could run a fund raising drive for that cause instead of the "hoodie" crap.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Why should we require ID's to vote? "Rampant" voter fraud? Show me some real statistics on actual voter fraud. How would showing your ID stop anything? Would it stop mail-in ballots? No. Would it stop early voting? No.

We have an average voting rate of 55% in this country. That's of registered voters, yes, 40% of registered voters don't even bother voting. Why make it any harder to vote?

Any one of you is welcome to answer the question why it should be harder to vote when so few people vote anyway.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
By the way, there is a very simple solution to this problem.

It's called Absentee Ballot.

If you don't want to go to the polling booth, you should look into you state's options.

And Absentee Ballot voting does NOT require an ID.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Why should we require ID's to vote? "Rampant" voter fraud? Show me some real statistics on actual voter fraud. How would showing your ID stop anything? Would it stop mail-in ballots? No. Would it stop early voting? No.

We have an average voting rate of 55% in this country. That's of registered voters, yes, 40% of registered voters don't even bother voting. Why make it any harder to vote?

Any one of you is welcome to answer the question why it should be harder to vote when so few people vote anyway.

Well... It's this whole concept of 'harder to vote' in the first place that strikes me as the red hearing and strawman argument. There is no harm in HAVING ID. Whats the worst outcome? Someone who didn't have their ID...and was, naturally, denied almost every aspect of modern American life because of that, now gets it and not only votes.....for the very first time in their life.......but can join society like never before. A little sarcasm there if anyone's into that sort of thing. huh.

Now, without the least bit of sarcasm I'll tell you precisely how this matters and how this can be done...this year...and to rather strong effect right here in MY OWN city. We're not even computerized to hack. Believe it or don't, the primary was on paper with fill in arrows as we've always had.

FAR FAR more people are registered to vote than actually get their butts off the couch to do it. So....without ID? Lets see... How many friends do I have around different areas of town..and how many voting precincts are there to count? ....If I have 1 friend who really has no concern to vote at all, I can borrow his "Voter ID" card and there is MY vote in that precinct. Ditto down the line and across town. Heck.. I MIGHT even squeeze 2 in if a voting location changes table staff between early morning and evening.
The possibilities are only limited by # of friends with a card and staff at the polling place who'd remember the same face twice.

Now.... THAT is what *I* could do very easily and with absolutely no fear of being caught whatever. There IS no way to be caught because a Missouri Voter card has no picture...or anything else. Just a name...and if I didn't pick a friend named Susie Q or some VERY ethnic name I'm not....no one could possibly know. Ever.

(By the way....the numbers in both columns crossed over would give me a solid 12 votes PLUS my own in my home precinct.)

Now I am no criminal. I don't vote early or often. I stumble into the local Church to cast my vote late in the day but I always make it like clockwork. I'm honest. People against Photo ID are expecting the nation to trust that EVERYONE is honest as well. That is just silly and absurd. No ID = NO Integrity of the system.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

12 votes in a precinct of how many hundreds, if not thousands of people? In 99.9999% of the precincts in this country, 12 votes doesn't count for anything. You're argument is to combat a widespread, intentional conspiracy that doesn't exist.

The system seems to work fine here in Nebraska, sign your name on the sheet, if your signature matches you get to vote. Otherwise, you don't.

The problem with your scenario is the deliberate agreement between you and your 'friends' to vote in their precincts...why not just convince them to vote for your candidate? That way you don't have to drive all over town and illegally vote.

Adding new stipulations and requirements to vote is making it harder to vote, it's not a red herring, it's not a strawman. Voter ID does nothing to increase the number of voters, which is what we really need to be worrying about. Not 12 votes in a district of 700,000 people.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

And there....without question..is the problem and the radical difference of thinking on this issue between one side and the other. Your argument starts and is based on scale and degree. I'm just one guy who can pull 12 fraud votes..so why require ID just for me?

Well.... The innocent guy put to death is just one guy too... Why risk commuting or even releasing hundreds or thousands of guilty because one guy got zapped?

Others may see those examples as worlds apart. I don't. It's principle in one the same as it's principle in the other and when a matter if principle, scale doesn't figure into the need for a solution. The fact that I, as an honest American, can come up with a dead bang way to game the system right from my back office and without putting any real effort into it means they system is almost hopeless. As long as I can game it...those who really CARE about doing that will have total success beyond anyones wildest dreams or worst fears.

All we need to to solve it is ask for the same thing required to buy a pack of cigarettes or rent a motel room. Nothing more....nothing less and states are writing in the clause to make it FREE so even that argument is dead-on-arrival.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Why should we require ID's to vote? "Rampant" voter fraud? Show me some real statistics on actual voter fraud. How would showing your ID stop anything?

It stops people from voting under multiple names. Saw it happen once. Gentleman showed up to vote, and the register showed he had already voted. Someone got there before him, knew his name, thought he wasn't going to vote, and voted as him. Same person doubtless voted under their own name at their own polling place, too. It may or may not be "rampant," but that person was disenfranchised. He was disenfranchised both by the provisional ballot he had to cast--hundreds of thousands were not counted--and by the fact that a fellow-citizen got two votes, reducing his share of the franchise even if his provisional ballot was counted.

What Wrabbit2000 describes in theory, I saw happen in practice. I think it's safe to assume it has happened many other times outside of my direct knowledge. I don't know if any elections were swayed by the practice -- but then, I don't know if any elections were swayed by ID requirements, either. It seems, if we are going to minimize and dismiss the impact of fraud, we might as well minimize and dismiss the impact of ID requirements, too.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I never understood this " Show me your papers" mentality.

The America's are so insane these days it's really hard to be proud of being from this Continent anymore.

I thought we decided after WW2 that this sort of thing only lead to bad roads?

If you have a birth certificate or a passport, then you should be allow do do whatever it is you want, vote, drink, whatever, and not be forced to prove your citizenship everywhere you go.

~Tenth

edit on 4/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The governor of South Carolina set up a toll free phone line offering free rides and a way for the poor to get free voter id. Less than 12 people bothered with it after a whole month. They have already required id or a registration card where I've been voting ever since I remember and I've lived in SC for several years. This is a big fuss over something not too many care about.

I believe the democrats are concerned in a close race they could lose a handful of illegal alien or dead people voting illegally. This law might require picture id and make it worth prosecuting those who are illegally voting. I'm much less concerned about that than I am of the verification of electronic votes matching up to how people actually voted. I believe that is where we need to see hardcopies of how we voted and sample verification in random locations to verify our election system is not being subject to fraud. If anything suspicious was found, all hardcopies could be counted and verified by independent parties.

edit on 7/4/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

We're looking at two different problems, you see a problem with one person voting too many times and I see a problem with millions of people not voting enough.

I think it's important, not just for us, but for our politicians to recognize each others problems to collectively fix them.

reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

The situation you describe could either be an actual case of voter fraud or the volunteer filled in the wrong box. In case of the latter situation I think it's a bit hyper-reactive to start demanding we all show ID because of that one particular incident.
edit on 7-4-2012 by links234 because: Reply to FurvusRexCaeli

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

We're looking at two different problems, you see a problem with one person voting too many times and I see a problem with millions of people not voting enough.

I think it's important, not just for us, but for our politicians to recognize each others problems to collectively fix them.

Indeed, you're right on one hand that I am looking at the vulnerable system as inviting people to run scams and play with it. One person... True.. It's not many. However, political movements aren't made from one person. ACORN would be an example of methods that were repulsive if used by one...but that was many across states and with court records to prove it happened.

You mention millions not voting enough. Okay, there I believe we agree. In fact, we couldn't agree more. With turn outs of under 50% even for the blockbuster 2008 elections, that is a huge problem.

We're talking about ID though. Are you and others suggestion MILLIONS exist as legal and perfectly qualified American voters in every other respect and ONLY lack the ID card being suggested as a requirement?

First..I'll be flat out straight and not play games. I don't believe it. I never will. That pretty much ends serious talk there for trying to convince each other if THAT is the point of debate.

However.... IF..somehow..we found that to be true.then HELL with voting entirely as the reason for solving the problem. I'd see the fact so many Americans were ENTIRELY blocked from participation in Society as a whole (and without ID...they aren't even Citizens until they can prove it) as a problem VERY worthy of solving without Voting needing to enter it. While we throw billions to our buddies around the world...Lets get those Americans an ID for EVERYTHING ELSE they can never...EVER..do without it. As a side benefit, they can also vote next time.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Fair enough. Make a national ID and we can use that to vote. Thereby foregoing issues of moving between states and not having a proper state ID on hand, as is the case with numerous college kids.

I wouldn't be opposed to ID laws if we instituted a national ID. I still stand by my idea that some politicians are focusing too much energy on voter ID than they are on getting more people to vote in general and feel that they're in the wrong because of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join