It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Must He Get Involved in Everything?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Before I begin, this post has nothing to do with political ideology so I don’t want to debate ideology with anyone! I’m simply making an observation about the behavior of the POTUS.

I’m not that old (late 30’s) but I don’t remember a single president in my lifetime who involved himself in so many different situations. These actions just seem to be beneath the office of the Presidency. Am I wrong? Is it just me or aren’t there more important things the POTUS should be addressing right now with all that’s happening in the world?

Here are some examples - Just this week the POTUS twice urged the Supreme Court to “act responsibly” by approving his 2010 health care reform law (When has a president ever told the court what to do...not once but TWICE?). Before that he claimed he would have his deputies decide which religious organizations are eligible for exemption from new federal health insurance regulations. Before that he spoke out about the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida. Before that he called the Cambridge police idiots because he didn’t like the way they handled their affairs in one case. Before that he told us what light bulbs we have to buy. Before that he was telling automakers what cars they need to produce. He’s told us all to inflate our tires as a cure for rising gas prices, etc, etc.

Today the POTUS is sticking his nose into the affairs of a private/members-only golf club:

The White House’s spokesman said Thursday that the president believes that a golf club in Augusta, Ga., 551 miles from the White House, should change its membership rules and admit women as members.

The golf club in question is the Augusta National Golf Club, which is hosting the high-profile Masters tournament this week.

The private club does not invite women to be members. Feminist groups are pressuring the club, and its corporate sponsors, to change its long-standing rule.

Obama is trying to bolster support with feminist groups, partly because he’s trying to maximize favorable turnout among women in the November election.
link

We all know that PRIVATE CLUBS are free to decide what their membership requirements are and we're all free to join or not join!! What makes the POTUS think it’s any of his business??

Have any of you (particularly people older than me) seen such behavior by a president? Is there precedent for intrusive behavior like this by a president?? Does this remind anyone else of the behavior of a King George III prior to the American War of Independence?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Today the POTUS is sticking his nose into the affairs of ...

The first obvious question is whether this is even true.
There is a difference between activily going out of ones way to involves oneself in an affair, to that of answering a question posed by a reporter.

Maybe its just that the media have decided in recent times that a "cheap" way of getting an extra news story is to ask the President for their opinion on anything. Once he answers - thats a news story.

Edit - just checked your latest rant case...

...Obama’s spokesman, Jay Carney, said in response to a question from a reporter.

edit on 5-4-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i think the problem is that never before has there been so much media coverage and amateur interaction on a global scale before...

ever since the internet boom information gets passed around more frequently than before...

honestly the reason he feels like he has to be involved is because that is how he gains popularity, "hey look!, im hip, im cool!" im involved with the latest crap that goes on, yet i ignore all the important things going on

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
He's back on the campaign trail, as a result he is trying to generate publicity with the public, maybe convince them that he "cares" or something.

What's baffling is that some people still drink the hope and change koolaid.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
My personal feeling is that he thinks everything needs the Touch of God.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
WOW, is that a hammer your using
because the nail is getting slammed
on the head! This POTUS has given more
crony hook up's then I can recall! Solyndra,
gmc for the unions, the bank bail outs, freddie and mac,
roads to no where! This guy panders in this case to women
when the nose should be kept into business of the country.
Is this the prezz's biggest concern in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD
OF ISSUES? While people are dying over seas of disease, are military
men are over seas still, jobs and the economy is in dire straights, and this
guy wants to go cheerlead for these special interest groups, pander, and use
his power mocking the US PEOPLE! This is getting out of hands folks

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

They statement made by Our Dear Leader was obviously pre-prepared expecting the question. Instead of answering as he did, to show partisanship, he could have stated,

"We should wait for the results of the investigation before we draw any conclusions."

Which answer do you think would have been more calming?
edit on 5-4-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's called social engineering.

And no, just because the president doesn't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The first obvious question is whether this is even true.
There is a difference between activily going out of ones way to involves oneself in an affair, to that of answering a question posed by a reporter.

Maybe its just that the media have decided in recent times that a "cheap" way of getting an extra news story is to ask the President for their opinion on anything. Once he answers - thats a news story.

Well what about the numerous other ways he’s stuck his nose into things…I listed many? I just think it’s beneath the office for the president to tell a police department how to handle its affairs. Why doesn’t he deal with Iran, Israel, Syria, unemployment, gas prices, etc and stop focusing on things that should be handled at the local level.

Are you familiar with the reasoning behind the 10th Amendment? (I’m not being sarcastic)

The Tenth Amendment reserves to the states all powers that are not granted to the federal government by the Constitution, except for those powers that states are constitutionally forbidden from exercising.

For example, nowhere in the federal Constitution is Congress given authority to regulate local matters concerning the health, safety, and morality of state residents. Known as POLICE POWERS, such authority is reserved to the states under the Tenth Amendment.
link

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
IMO, the POTUS is in such a position of power that he is damned if he does and damned if doesn't. Some would complain that he doesn't get involved enough on some issues, so he must not care. Others say he should not get so involved with questionably trivial things, and quit caring so much. He is soft, he is hawkish, he is wise, he is inexperienced, he is a puppet, he has too much authority...etc.

People say he is not relating to the public, by being absent from addressing issues, then some say he spends too much time trying to come down to our level, and be more laymen like, addressing questionably insignificant issues.
Can't please everyone I suppose.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes
i think the problem is that never before has there been so much media coverage and amateur interaction on a global scale before...

ever since the internet boom information gets passed around more frequently than before...

honestly the reason he feels like he has to be involved is because that is how he gains popularity, "hey look!, im hip, im cool!" im involved with the latest crap that goes on, yet i ignore all the important things going on

The media is partly to blame but the internet wasn't invented 3 years ago.

There is no doubt that Obama interjects his opinion on issues that typically wouldn't be touched by someone of his stature.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
They statement made by Our Dear Leader was obviously pre-prepared expecting the question.

The statement wasnt even made by him.
The statement was made by Jay Carney, who I suspect didnt even know what on earth the President thought, but just gave the politically correct answer to the question.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Obama said if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon. March 12, 2012. Google it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

People say he is not relating to the public, by being absent from addressing issues,

Who said that about OBAMA??

then some say he spends too much time trying to come down to our level, and be more laymen like, addressing questionably insignificant issues.
Can't please everyone I suppose.

I understand where you’re coming from but…..some things are better left unsaid. He doesn’t have to comment on everything, especially things that he has no control over (country club???). Can you provide examples of another president who has interjected his opinion into local matters as much as Obama has? As I stated, I’ve never seen anything like this before in my lifetime but I’m certainly not a presidential historian so I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You could just Google it, but I see it in a handful of right wing bloggers posts.
thecivildiscourse.wordpress.com...
Fox Contributor Accuses Obama Of Not Being "Concerned About What Is Hurting Americans"
I have to agree that I cannot recall a pres being as involved with so many local issues, but at the same time, our country is in an unprecedented position, and the growing popularity of social networks means more people are paying attention, thus more communicating/addressing local issues may seem appropriate.

edit on 5-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I agree with everything you're saying here and let me thank you for being the one to stand up and take the hits from the politicos who will just miss your disclaimer about not being ideological outright.

I've been thinking this more and more myself. Being Democrat has nothing to do with it... being black..or white..or whatever has nothing to do with it..as you note. It's just this seeming belief that the Presidency is as much a soapbox to the level of Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh's balance as it is the job the Office demands.

I also fail to recall any President in my living memory who had words of wisdom...or incitement, whichever the literal case may be...for almost EVERY social and trivial news item to come up on a given day. You'd think for the $400,000 we pay him per year, he'd be focused on things a little more Presidential than local city crimes or the gender policy of a Professional Golf game.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Nite_wing
They statement made by Our Dear Leader was obviously pre-prepared expecting the question.

The statement wasnt even made by him.
The statement was made by Jay Carney, who I suspect didnt even know what on earth the President thought, but just gave the politically correct answer to the question.

Did Carney says this?

How about this?

Anyway, it’s not about one statement here or there but the pattern of getting wrapped up in issues that are not his concern. The 10th amendment is very clear yet this president gets involved in issues far beyond the scope of the federal government time and time again.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by seabag

You could just Google it, but I see it in a handful of right wing bloggers posts.
thecivildiscourse.wordpress.com...
Fox Contributor Accuses Obama Of Not Being "Concerned About What Is Hurting Americans"
I have to agree that I cannot recall a pres being as involved with so many local issues, but at the same time, our country is in an unprecedented position, and the growing popularity of social networks means more people are paying attention, thus more communicating/addressing local issues may seem appropriate.

I’m not saying he’s not concerned or that he’s particularly bad at delivering a message. I think he’s too concerned and far too involved in everyone's business!

Wrabbit2000 summed it up nicely:

You'd think for the $400,000 we pay him per year, he'd be focused on things a little more Presidential than local city crimes or the gender policy of a Professional Golf game.

I’d tell Obama to “STICK to the ISSUES of the PRESIDENCY, SIR! FOCUS!!”

edit on 5-4-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
He's like the nosey old lady in every neighborhood who has to feel important by sticking her nose in everyone's business. Thinks she knows everything and her way is always right.

He is our poster child for the nanny state......

Like I have said before......welcome to 1984!

edit on 5-4-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think most of those things are probably his helpful political advisers 'Advising' him about what they think the American public want him to say/support. Social media has a lot to do with this. It's all to get the votes...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join