It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire at Penly Nuclear Reactor in Northern France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Fire at Penly Nuclear Reactor in Northern France

www.bbc.co.uk

Fire crews have been rushed to a nuclear reactor in northern France after an escape of smoke but the energy company EDF says the site is secure.

It said 10 fire engines were working at the Penly site near Dieppe, where the reactor was shut down after the alarm was raised at 12:20 (11:20 GMT).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Nuclear event in Europe! Following the events in US and ongoing in Japan, this is really disturbing.
I was relieved that the plans for new Nuke site in UK were abandoned. I am very concerned about where this is all leading to. The events look to be nothing to worry about at the moment but if this happens more and more often could we be looking at more melt downs?

Can we really trust the companies who keep telling us there is nothing to worry about?

Two small fires had broken out but were later extinguished, the firm said. The blazes were caused by hot oil leaking from a pump inside the reactor building, a spokeswoman said, quoted by Reuters news agency.

That's a lot of fire engines for '"two small fires"

Mods please delete if already posted.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-4-2012 by Threegirls because: to add another point

edit on 5-4-2012 by Threegirls because: typo

edit on 5-4-2012 by Threegirls because: to add another point

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The scary thing about nuclear incidents in France is that so many of the reactors are the "breeder reactors."

These are the ones that make weapons-grade plutonium. So if there is an accident at one it might be far worse than Fukushima.

I don't know if this was a breeder reactor but thank you for the alert OP!!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
**MOD EDIT**
Entire Advertising removed

19) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on the Websites within posts, private messages, avatars and/or signatures without prior written permission from TAN. You will not choose a username that is the same as a website domain, subdomain, URL, organization, or business for which you are associated. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

For more on this please refer to the Terms and Conditions of your membership
edit on 4/6/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonash
A couple steps into the Church, finally exchanged rings gemstone beads. Significance of this, actually don't care about the ring if the diamond is a diamond, but the affection. However, stars in entertainment but take this into the air, the momentum of competition, diamond rings jewelry supply in the hands of a heart than a luxury, one much larger than a shining, see dementia passers-by.

Well, this is a new low.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Already posted here

Exact same title, exact same hour!! Wow!! Mods: which thread would do choose?

edit on 6-4-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Nuclear plants like any other industrial facilities occasionally have accidents - they always have and always will. It is unreasonable to expect them to get it correct every single time. Anyway, most accidents are meaningless to the general public, others can have rather severe implications. Most fall into the former category. In any case before jumping to conclusions and being scared over what is probably a minor event, it must first be determined what the safety significance this had.

reply to post by SilentThundersGF

The scary thing about nuclear incidents in France is that so many of the reactors are the "breeder reactors."

Wrong.

All of the nuclear power reactors in France are pressurized water reactors, which have breeding ratios far less than one.

These are the ones that make weapons-grade plutonium.

Wrong.

To make weapons grade plutonium, Uranium-238 must be irradiated for a very short period of time. Any longer and isotopes of Plutonium that are not ideal for weapons build up. Almost any reactor can be used to produce weapons grade plutonium if the operating cycle is short enough.

So if there is an accident at one it might be far worse than Fukushima.

FBR's are not necessarily any more dangerous than non breeders.

edit on 6/4/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hello to all ATS users!

I've been created my thread first before that one but super moderator decided to close it for some reason...So I just want to share with you some update for that incident happened yesterday in Penly nuclear reactor near Dieppe...

At first it was just "start of two fires in a room next to reactor n°2 compound"...Reactor shut down itself by security system and 10 fire engines were called to stop the fire.This is what you can read from Rsoe site I linked in my post.
But as I'm French I have some quite important update as I speak now (translated from "Le Figaro" french newspaper's site) :

"The reactor of the nuclear power plant Penly, Seine-Maritime didn't walked away from the two departures of fire which caused its stopping in early afternoon Thursday.
In the evening EDF have detected a defect on a seal of one of the four pumps for cooling of the primary circuit in the production unit of the reactor 2.
This failure has itself caused a leak of water "collected in tanks for this purpose".These tanks are located within the reactor building said the company in a press release and
the leak of radioactive water "has no effect on the environment" added their spokesperson.
"The reactor continued to be cooled normally and teams are working to lower the pressure and the temperature of the water contained in the circuit.
By lowering the pressure and temperature, the work of expertise of the pump and repair will be able to be undertaken."

Just 16 days before first vote for presidential elections here and after commited debates between all the candidates on the question of nuclear power and his future here in France , this could be some severe denial for our actual president-candidate Sarkozy who always claimed that nuclear is essential and "all-secured" despite our nuclear park (second in the world) is more than 25 years old.......

hisz.rsoe.hu...
www.lefigaro.fr...
www.lefigaro.fr...
edit on 6-4-2012 by Bennogob because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Each time something happens at a nuclear facility, we have to acknowledge how vulnerable we are if it goes totally pear shaped.
The consequences of a meltdown are increasingly well known. Each facility is a potential threat to our health and the health of our future generations. I often hear people saying that nuclear power is clean and safe. I don't get the reasoning. When we have the plants dotted around the planet and it seems like they are having problems more often of late it makes me uneasy.

Are plants being sabotaged?
Is it just propaganda to turn us from nuclear?
Are lots of plants on the verge of disaster?
Is this whole situation staged or is there real danger and is it by design?

Are the media playing it up or playing it down?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bennogob

Thank you for the update!

I wonder if the president will change his stance on nuclear power. He probably just wants to build new ones as the older ones are becoming less viable.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
In any case before jumping to conclusions and being scared over what is probably a minor event, it must first be determined what the safety significance this had.

I wish I had such faith in the morality and decisions of Governments and corporations.

There have been industrial and nuclear accidents all over the world for more than a century where the governments and corporations involved have deliberately downplayed the damage and risk, covered up the threat to health, manipulated data and facts to protect themselves from prosecution...

There are plenty of cases that are still unanswered, from those who died as a result of Chernobyl to those who died from poisoning of ground water, the Bhopal disaster and the people lied to about Fukushima too. The list is endless.

I do not trust the french government, my government, the US government... nor do I trust any corporation that has to protect share price and will say ANYTHING to prevent a loss of face.

We would still have "officials" on camera smiling and saying everything is fine as the plutonium cloud drifts up into the sky behind them.

It's great that this is seemingly now under control, but I always expect the worst, and expect to be lied to.

edit on 6-4-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Then I stand corrected. Sorry and Thank you.

But I am sure I have read that France is full of breeder reactors. Interesting. In fact this seems to be a common idea. If it is a misconception I wonder why.

Is there anything that distinguishes French reactors from those in other countries or have I been completely mistaken?

For example here it says "France has made the largest use of breeder reactors":
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

edit on 6-4-2012 by SilentThundersGF because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I can't understand why reactors aren't built in a tube deep underground, with the reactor itself at the lowest level.

Then if there is an accident, it will be self containing. Just add cement.

Similar to this..

edit on 6-4-2012 by rbnhd76 because: Add pic and cause I'm super cool..

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

It's funny, I was just thinking that! Maybe there is a reason because it does sound like common sense.

About breeder reactors:
Link

There have been two significant fast breeder reactors in France. Near Marcoule is the 233 MWe Phenix reactor, which started operation in 1974 and was jointly owned by CEA and EdF. It was shut down for modification 1998-2003, returned at 140 MWe for six years, and ceased power generation in March 2009, though it continued in test operation and to maintain research programs by CEA until October 2009. A second unit was Super-Phenix of 1200 MWe, which started up in 1996 but was closed down for political reasons at the end of 1998 and is now being decommissioned. The operation of Phenix is fundamental to France's research on waste disposal, particularly transmutation of actinides. See further information in R&D section below.

It says "two significant" maybe there are/were many other insignificant?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentThundersGF

Sorry but the real fact is we only had two fast breeder reactors (and they were experimental) : One called "Phénix" built in 1969 and stopped in 2009 and a second one called "Superphénix" built in 1985 and stopped in 1997.
At this time , 46 nuclear reactors are working here in France on 58 available (12 are stopped and 9 of them in dismantling) and they are all pressurized water reactors.

Link (in french) :

www.connaissancedesenergies.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

Well done Threegirls ! Quicker than me^^

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentThundersGF

These are the ones that make weapons-grade plutonium. So if there is an accident at one it might be far worse than Fukushima.

I don't know if this was a breeder reactor but thank you for the alert OP!!

Greetings SilentThundersGF:

That's quite an avatar!

Be prepared to be attacked by "the pro-nukie regulars" for so much as sharing your opinion. It's what they get paid to do, and if you stick around the nuclear issue a while, you'll find it easy to spot the trolls, weak as their arguments are and their lines taken directly 'out of the book.'

We'll toss some meat their way in an attempt to keep them off you.

France is not alone in the news. It seems appropriate here to highlight more nuclear industry shenanegans, right here in America:

8 Million Lives Threatened By California San Onofre Reactor Problems

(...) The plan is to get people to tell their friends and family members and get them involved in raising awareness about the issue so they can combat the power and influence the nuclear industry has over our regulators.

This needs to reach critical mass so the public can demand in a voice of solidarity that the issues is properly addressed [color=Cyan]before the people in the Los Angeles and San Diego area find themselves living in the same level of radioactive nuclear fallout that the 20 million people in the Tokyo metropolitan area are living in now.

This video is a new television ad targeting Southern California Edison calling on residents to let the utility know that their families come first.

(...) “The Nuclear Regulatory Commission knows these reactors need to stay offline, and Southern California families know it too,”...

[color=Cyan]“But Southern California Edison is pushing ahead. That’s unacceptable, especially after it was its deception that led to this dangerous situation.

[color=Salmon]People deserve better than to have their power company racing to restart dangerous nuclear reactors after one sprang a radioactive leak and when both threaten much worse.”

The "much worse" is something that is not acceptable.

[color=00FA9A]”As man attempts to become God-like, we release potential forces that can, and probably will, destroy us.”

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. This is from one year ago, and radiations stills spews 24/7/365.

Japan Nuclear Radiation In Hawaii Milk 2033% Above Federal
Drinking Water Limits

Radiation Detected In Drinking Water In 13 More US Cities,
Cesium-137 In Vermont Milk - Forbes

California Cows Threaten Strike If Forced to Eat Radiated Grass

Clarabelle Cloven Hoof – Spokeperson for Bovine Union #238

The attitude of those happy cows in California will turn very sour if they are forced to eat radiated grass. Bovine News Today is reporting that the cows will strike if fallout from the Japanese nuclear meltdown rains on their beloved California grasslands.

Clarabelle Cloven Hoof, spokesperson for the local union, had this to say,

[color=00FF7F]“It’ll be a cold day in pasture before we eat radiated grass.”

In any case, truth-seekers must not fall for the old cabal tactic of getting their opponents to fight each other.

We all agree we want to end poverty, stop environmental destruction, have world peace and enter a new age of discovery, abundance, wonder and freedom.

Please, let's concentrate on that and avoid negativity whenever possible.

In closing:

[color=Salmon]Even when children plea for help directly to the government their cries are ignored, [color=Cyan]which can be interpreted as nothing less than the government telling the population to go Fukushima themselves because the agenda of the globalist corpocracy is more important than something as insignificant as the value of human life.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]
edit on 6/4/2012 by thorfourwinds because: color

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

That was a really good post and I enjoyed your use of pictures. Thank you for taking the time to make that and also for your encouragement.

I am not 100% against the use of nuclear power but I don't think those in charge are honest about the real situation, the real dangers, and the real issues.

We can clearly see this from the Fukushima situation. I expect the French people to be a little bit more pressuring of their government than the Japanese for openness and transparency but maybe this idea is wishful thinking too.

new topics

top topics

join