It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists raise energy level at Big Bang machine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
>> say the $10 billion Large Hadron Collider in a 27-kilometer (17-mile) tunnel under the Swiss-French border at Geneva has begun operating at 8 trillion electron volts, greater than any previous physics accelerator

news.yahoo.com...

Here we go the source of great discovery..or something else?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
PR video from CERN at the link below that goes into more detail on the increase and what it might bring...

CERN

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Oh great news , this kind of thing here makes me nervous. The Mayans had a glyph of one of there Gods coming through a glyph of a gate, that looks exactly like a cross section of the hadron collider. I can't recall where I saw the photo , it but it was very strange.
Who knows what kind of things can happen when they are experimenting with these extreme collisions, and outputs of energy. I would expect that mad scientists and there controllers don't really care because they live on the Moon.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
8TeV is only approx half power, they will be shutting LHC down near the end of 2012 for a years worth of engineering upgrades before trying the full power 14TeV particle collisions. I think on the grand scale of things the human race has got a lot more pressing things to worry about/deal with than whether the (infinitely small possibility) LHC will destroy earth!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

Something else...

This project is pure insanity... Not because it's going to destroy the Earth but because it is a colossal waste of energy and money.

Is it too much to ask that we make sure every person on the planet has access to clean water and food before we waste 7.5 billion Euros smashing particles together?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Something else...

This project is pure insanity... Not because it's going to destroy the Earth but because it is a colossal waste of energy and money.

Is it too much to ask that we make sure every person on the planet has access to clean water and food before we waste 7.5 billion Euros smashing particles together?

we DO have the technology after all to help every person on the planet.
I agree, it makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Something else...

If you hadn't noticed, more than 7.5 billion is spent on much stupider things. Heck, that's just the bonuses of one banking firm. Why don't you ask them to fund it next time?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

we DO have the technology after all to help every person on the planet. I agree, it makes no sense.

Helping people, giving them things, makes them comfortable and they breed more. Giving rise to overpopulation and unsustainable circumstances.

I'd rather spend the money on the LHC....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
That's the problem, we focus on working for profit, an not like an intelligent race of beings whom would focus on taking care of the population once technology made such possible,
then focus as a whole to greater purposes,

Oh yeah I forgot, We're not that intelligent race of beings, sorry my mistake.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by yourmaker

we DO have the technology after all to help every person on the planet. I agree, it makes no sense.

Helping people, giving them things, makes them comfortable and they breed more. Giving rise to overpopulation and unsustainable circumstances.

I'd rather spend the money on the LHC....

education and all those problems dissipate when we are able to move a bunch of them into orbit and the moon's orbit and surface.

probably because of projects like LHC though lol

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

My point is not that the LHC is more or less important than any of the other things we waste money on. My point is only an insane culture values smashing sub-atomic particles together over feeding the hungry.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

I dont think its either insane or a waste or time or money. These people have created this device for a reason. We can only speculate as to its true purpose. I do not doubt it actually is used for the purpose they claim, but they are not telling us everything.

If it iss genuinely scientific, and it helps us understand the universe better and develop better technologies, decades down the line when our ancestors are taking the technologies it spawned for granted, they will look back upon this time as a turning point and be grateful for it. Yes there are probably better things to be spending the money and energy on right now from our perspective, in the grand scheme of things this could be the best thing they could be doing.

Of course, that is just the best case scenario and knowing how this world works its more than likely something nefarious. But I really do not think this is a waste of money to them. They know full well what they are doing.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_

If it iss genuinely scientific, and it helps us understand the universe better and develop better technologies, decades down the line when our ancestors are taking the technologies it spawned for granted, they will look back upon this time as a turning point and be grateful for it. Yes there are probably better things to be spending the money and energy on right now from our perspective, in the grand scheme of things this could be the best thing they could be doing.

If our decendants don't look back at this time and ask "Why were you smashing sub atomic particles together, while people were starving, and being enslaved; while the oceans were slowly dying, and the largest extinction event in 65 million years was happening instead of solving those problems first?"

Then we won't have any decendants to ask questions.
edit on 5-4-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Actually yes, it is, if you want to contribute to the water supply of people in another country you are welcome to do so. We should not stop innovation because there are governments in other parts of the world that do not care enough about their citizens. No one is stopping you from doing so though.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I'm not sure what country you live in, but I live on Earth.

I vote with my money and support charities I believe in. If I wanted to be perfect I could sell all my stuff and move to the third world, but I'm not asking anyone else to do that, so I wont hold myself up to that standard either.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

So you do not live in a country? Then you have no government I assume, so your government is not wasting any money on science.

Feel free to donate as much money as you want to charities, as that is how it should be, a personal choice, and I fully support and commend you. As far as moving to the third world, I wouldn't. Then you would be under a government and would be contributing to science, which is clearly anathema to you.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

It's not that I'm against scientific discovery.. It's just that I feel there are more pressing problems we could be tackling.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

At the risk of sounding callous, I'd rather see 7.5 billion euros spent on broadening science than see it disappear lining the pockets of officials of corrupt governments & never making it to the people. One example being Somalia. Yup, all that foodstuff & monetary help really helped rid them of their persistent famine, didn't it?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

If governments cared as much about food getting to the people that need it, as they do about securing oil, we would have no people that need it.

I'm not talking about government aid.. I'm talking about everyone of us stopping what we are doing, and taking the time to look around at all the things we do on a day to day basis that are completely insane.

Smashing atoms together to get answers to questions that very few people care about instead of feeding the 1 billion people that are starving is just one of them.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

So you think solving the worlds problems and scientific research do not go hand in hand? You think the human race can continue to increase it's population and forever remain on Earth?

Your short sightedness would be the doom of our species.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join