It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Event in USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Nuclear Event in USA

hisz.rsoe.hu

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said it is monitoring the Catawba nuclear power plant after offsite power was lost Wednesday. The NRC said it is monitoring the situation through inspectors at the plant and from its regional office in Atlanta. No radiation was released and there was no impact on plant workers or the public according to the NRC. The plant is operated by Duke Energy and is located in York, S.C.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Just a bit surprised that this hadn't been reported. Tried to search but could'nt find anything about this. Apologies if already reported .
Nothing major at the moment but always a bit worrying when nuclear plants are involved.

Also reported via reuters.

Power has been reportedly been restored but plant not producing electricity. It all SEEMS good.

The more I look into this the more I believe that this must have been reported so I will post this as an alternative to the ATS search engine.

Is it just me or is it really difficult to retrive searches on recent events. Note to mods, how about a recent news search that focuses on recent topics.

hisz.rsoe.hu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's something interesting going on in California as well. Coincidence?

Power shortages a concern with nuke plant offline

The twin reactors located between San Diego and Los Angeles have been idled while investigators determine why tubing carrying radioactive water is eroding at an unusual rate, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission chairman will visit the plant Friday to highlight the agency's concern over the ailing equipment.

Source: AP
edit on 4/5/2012 by chudek because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You can also get news about all sorts of fun disasters going on all over the planet by looking at RSOE

RSOE

edit: facepalm. I need sleep. you had RSOE linked in first post. Silly me.

edit on 5-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Apparently there was a fire at this plant on Monday in a battery room. That makes 2 reportable events in a week.

enformable.com...

How often does that happen. Coincidence.
edit on 5-4-2012 by murch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Funny that this should all be brought up. Just a few weeks ago in my area (NE Ohio), our nuclear plant had an issue. To my knowledge it wasnt on the news at all, I found it a bit strange, albeit I dont watch the news.

Heres the link, apparently the cooling mechanism wasnt working properly and there was no indication as to why. Forced a shutdown. www.cleveland.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I remember reading something about foreign hackers trying to hack into the reactors. Perhaps they succeeded and sabotaged them? It's too much of a coincidence that it happens in two different places in such a short amount of time...on different sides of the country.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just expanding on the attack idea. There does seem to be a lot forced shutdowns this year.

San Onofre
Beznau Unit 2
Unit 2 at Byron Generating Station
Indian Point
Penly 2
Catawba
Perry nuclear power plant

This search was quick but all this year and all appear to be cooling or fire related.
edit on 5-4-2012 by murch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here's a little something posted several years back...and if this could be done five years ago, then I'm pretty sure it can be done today.

America's Hackable Backbone

The first time Scott Lunsford offered to hack into a nuclear power station, he was told it would be impossible. There was no way, the plant's owners claimed, that their critical components could be accessed from the Internet. Lunsford, a researcher for IBM's Internet Security Systems, found otherwise. "It turned out to be one of the easiest penetration tests I'd ever done," he says. "By the first day, we had penetrated the network. Within a week, we were controlling a nuclear power plant. I thought, 'Gosh. This is a big problem.'"

The disturbingly vulnerable system that Lunsford hijacked is powered by Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition software, or SCADA...SCADA systems are used around the country to control infrastructure like water filtration and distribution, trains and subways, natural gas and oil pipelines, and practically every kind of industrial manufacturing. And as some security professionals are pointing out, those weaknesses are increasingly connected to the Internet, leaving large parts of America's critical infrastructure exposed to anyone with moderate information technology training and a laptop.

I really hope this isn't happening...if it is, then I wonder how many more will go down...or what other systems they could get into.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

No radiation was released and there was no impact on plant workers or the public according to the NRC

So...

Are we panicking or ..

should I waste this vodka?

Oo

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

The main reason I'm concerned is that it happened at 2 separate locations in such a short amount of time. To me, that throws up a red flag. Plus the Penly nuclear reactor in France caught on fire today. As I said a few posts back, I believe it's being intentionally done by some elite hackers...but that's just my theory.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chudek

Here's something interesting going on in California as well. Coincidence?

Power shortages a concern with nuke plant offline

The twin reactors located between San Diego and Los Angeles have been idled while investigators determine why tubing carrying radioactive water is eroding at an unusual rate, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission chairman will visit the plant Friday to highlight the agency's concern over the ailing equipment.

What's so crazy about San Onofre is that in 2009-2011 they supposedly spent 680 MILLION dollars to make repairs to that exact system...

The plant's containment domes are airtight, steel-reinforced safeguards that ---- in the event of a leak or any other disaster at the nuclear plant ---- are designed to prevent the release of radioactive steam into the environment.

The $680 million replacement project will require cutting identical holes in both domes...

2009 Source

That same failure also resulted in a release of "small quantity" of radiation

A small quantity of radioactive gas leaked inside one of the buildings at San Onofre nuclear power plant north of San Diego, according to a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The spokesman said the radiation levels were “barely measurable,” but the plant was shut down as a precaution.

Feb. 11, 2012 Source

If I can remember correctly someone also fell into one of the cooling pools around the same time....

....and last I heard all three reactors units are still "down"

Sorry if I'm pulling off topic a bit, but it might make it more than just coincidence if the other plants just finished up “repairs”.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to ATS?
It is 14:45 and I get 502 Bad Gateway error messages.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Nothing but error messages. This will probably not even post

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
That's crazy. 680 Million?! Wow. You would think a repair like that would last some time. If there is something or someone behind this, then we'll probably never get the facts. I doubt the government will come out and say that China/Russia/ or Average Joe gained control of a nuclear power plant and wreaked havoc. Perhaps it could be a Stuxnet type incident, but against us.

Here's some interesting links, oddly enough the first one was released today.

National security threat: hacking the smart grid

A similar worm, DuQu, was discovered more recently in September 2011 and is thought to have been developed the same team that created Stuxnet, though its purpose is apparently different, with DuQu having been designed to capture system information and keystrokes which could enable a future Stuxnet-like attack.

Also....

The Boomerang Effect

After the Stuxnet virus hit Iran's nuclear power plants in 2010, it was collected and disseminated, falling into the hands of hackers and code-crafters worldwide. Richard Clarke, the former counterterrorism chief, is confident that the U.S. wrote the code -- and may have allowed the U.S.'s greatest cyberweapon ever to leak into enemy hands. “It got loose because there was a mistake,” Clarke said in an interview with the Smithsonian. "And if you’re a computer whiz you can take it apart and you can say, ‘Oh, let’s change this over here, let’s change that over there.’ Now I’ve got a really sophisticated weapon. So thousands of people around the world have it and are playing with it."

And here are 2 others to read up on:

Researchers Release New Exploits to Hijack Critical Infrastructure
Reworked version of Stuxnet relative Duqu worm found in Iran

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Same for me, only on firehose page 503 error.
BTW I'm from Europe

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

Originally posted by Violater1

Same for me, only on firehose page 503 error.
BTW I'm from Europe

Same here, also from Europe.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The news that isn't news. More dead stories.

It'll be a nuclear event when there is something significant worth reporting. That is why it isn't being covered on the news, because it isn't news!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Strangely enough there's a nuclear power station in France shut a reactor down today after two fires broke out (although some reports are just saying smoke)

linky

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Yeah I saw that too. What are the odds? I know the ones in the US didn't cause a meltdown and it's not a disaster, but it's still something to watch.

new topics

top topics

join