It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I called my local Supermarkets and said "NO GMO!" Occupy the Supermarket!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by UdderlyInsane

Wow, I learned a lot about people today! Thanks for pushing it back so I or my family doesn't see it. I love Newman's chocolate mint!!! I also have fallen in love with Silk milk Chocolate milk regular, everyone in my family likes it!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
If you won't shop at supermarkets that don't provide non GMO food, you'll starve.

That's right. Just eat your frankenfoods and don't bother to do anything about it. Good little sheeple, good.

At least the OP is doing SOMETHING, unlike SOME people who will just make flippant comments, eh Wisenhiemer?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How do I know which foods are non gmo.?

My husband is diabetic, what can he use for sweetner?

I need the answers in a way I understand, as do tons of people
telling me watch out for xyz in ingredients, and so forth.

Its hard to read ingredients with 4 Kids in tow, what brands are safe?

Is there a thread with easy to read and comprehend info?
A website?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Ironically that could be funny in a sense...
Like eat some GMO so I grow up fast with hormones from chemicals, bacteria and viruses?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
How do I know which foods are non gmo.?

My husband is diabetic, what can he use for sweetner?

I need the answers in a way I understand, as do tons of people
telling me watch out for xyz in ingredients, and so forth.

Its hard to read ingredients with 4 Kids in tow, what brands are safe?

Is there a thread with easy to read and comprehend info?
A website?

Here is a list of companies that make NON GMO products.
nongmoshoppingguide.com/

On the product it will have this image:

edit on 5-4-2012 by samlf3rd because: forgot link

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh seriously people. GMO's have been around for thousands of years. Every fruit you have ever eaten has been genetically modified either by farmers or scientists.

Example:

This is a wild banana.

This is the banana we all we know and love. We have been "genetically modifying" it for hundreds of years.

In my opinion, Monsanto is just skipping that "waiting" part and gets directly to the results.

Though, I will admit the way they conduct business seems a bit shady.

edit on 5-4-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Oh seriously people. GMO's have been around for thousands of years. Every fruit you have ever eaten has been genetically modified either by farmers or scientists.

Example:

This is a wild banana.

This is the banana we all we know and love. We have been "genetically modifying" it for hundreds of years.

In my opinion, Monsanto is just skipping that "waiting" part and getting directly to the results.

Though, I will admit the way they conduct business seems a bit shady.

We haven't been doing it like we do now. Is that not apparent? So 3-hundred years ago people used electron microscopes, and other very high-tech equipment? Maybe you are thinking of a different technology?

Please do provide the crowd with some proof.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I am sorry, you want proof of what? That farmers have been specifically "breeding" their crops? Of course they didn't use electron telescopes. But they had techniques that have what basically amounts to the same thing as splicing genes.

Explain why doing it with "technology" is worse than doing it "naturally".

I have provided proof that we have genetically modified food for hundreds of years with the banana example.

It is your turn to provide evidence that the "GMO's" created by agricultural techniques are better than the "GMO's" created by science. Either way, if you aren't eating a wild fruit(which i do not reccomend) then you are eating a "GMO" that was "genetically modified" to be what it is.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I think every one of us needs to do the same thing and demand change. It amazes me when I go grocery shopping and after reading what the carcinogenic chemicals are in every single thing I pick up I end up leaving with out being able to do my grocery shopping. I just buy my veggies, fruit and free range protein. I hardly ever buy snacks because there isn't a single damn thing you can purchase that isn't laced with crap that over time will completely erode your immune system and cause mortally serious diseases much of which are cancers over time.

Heck they shouldn't even call it grocery shopping anymore but rather chemical load up for eventual decimation shopping.

This has turned into a world I no longer recognize.

edit on 5-4-2012 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Im no fan of GMOs (actually very against them) But hasn't unhealthy "poisonous" food been apart of American culture since what the 50-60s?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

calling is good , but I think my way is more effective.

start up a conversation in the check out line and watch what happens, I did just that at whole foods. I asked the cashier " Is your store going to label the GMO foods you will be stocking in the future at this store" her reply, I think we are ? " well at this point a few people over heard standing behind me, as well as in the next checkout lane. from this point on word spread like wild fine in the checkout lanes. One person even stated very loud " I can't believe Whole Foods will be selling GMO Foods ! The manager came over and assured everyone the GMO foods would be labeled. "Such a lie" , as another stated in the check out line next to me. I think they lost maybe 20 -30 customers in less than 15 minutes. I hope those people will tell others as well.

You can call or do what I do sometimes , strike up a conversation with the cashier, be assertive, make some points about GMO labels , health etc. get a little controversial as well. make sure you are head , but do it politely. Heck I even mentioned to others I read it here on ATS. Some even ask for this website address at the check out lane.

My wife let me have it in the car. " I can't believe you did that," "This is not the military or some country where you can conduct you own little intel missions as in the past. " " I have to shop there. " Then I said shop at the commissary then "('
') she was mad.

edit on 5-4-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The health food store I manage in San Diego is very active in the Non-GMO project and has taken a stand to certify that every product in our store is Non-GMO and doing our best to have all organic ingredients. If you really want to get active in the GMO project, you can download this label/sticker and tag up stores that carry GMO products. Its fun and very proactive just don't get caught!!

Oh No! Is it GMO?

The Non GMO shopping Guide

natural news

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
OP,
You need to state what your definition of a GMO product is. As a couple posters have already pointed out, man has been modifying food for thousands of years through selective breeding and hybridization for desired phenotypes. This selective breeding process is NOT natural, and therefore can be classified as a "modification".

Organic food is not equivalent to a non genetically modified organism.

I think that most people that want non-GMO products are actually saying they want products that have not been genetically altered in a lab through gene splicing from other animals or species.

I must stress that IF THAT IS THE CASE, please make it clear especially when it comes to writing bills and laws! Many bills are simply thrown aside because they are vague or "unreasonable". I promise you, Monsanto and like companies will point out that it is unreasonable to ban or label GMO products, because almost everything, including organic products, are genetically modified in one way or another.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with genetically modifying products to make them bigger, tastier, and easier to grow. It is essentially what mankind has been doing for thousands of years, but faster, more specific, and with modern technology. However, I do believe that the industry of genetically altering crops and other foods should be heavily monitored and regulated. I am not going to sit here and pretend that it hasn't had its bad consequences. If it is done right, it should not be a problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Because, with GMO they insert a bacteria and a virus into the plant, as well as self pollinate. That's where all out bees are going! Dead because they are trying to pollinate poisonous pollen that will kill them. This GMO is destroying everything. It's invasive, it is horrible. The company isn't ready to dominate yet. They will kill everyone.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egyptia

I think every one of us needs to do the same thing and demand change. It amazes me when I go grocery shopping and after reading what the carcinogenic chemicals are in every single thing I pick up I end up leaving with out being able to do my grocery shopping. I just buy my veggies, fruit and free range protein. I hardly ever buy snacks because there isn't a single damn thing you can purchase that isn't laced with crap that over time will completely erode your immune system and cause mortally serious diseases much of which are cancers over time.

Heck they shouldn't even call it grocery shopping anymore but rather chemical load up for eventual decimation shopping.

This has turned into a world I no longer recognize.

I feel the same way. Help me, help all of us. Ask for NON GMO, and organic foods.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

That's too funny about your wife. That's great that your are promoting NON GMO. Thank you. I will start making more of a scene at the checkout-sounds like it worked.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CloonBerg
OP,
You need to state what your definition of a GMO product is. As a couple posters have already pointed out, man has been modifying food for thousands of years through selective breeding and hybridization for desired phenotypes. This selective breeding process is NOT natural, and therefore can be classified as a "modification".

Organic food is not equivalent to a non genetically modified organism.

I think that most people that want non-GMO products are actually saying they want products that have not been genetically altered in a lab through gene splicing from other animals or species.

I must stress that IF THAT IS THE CASE, please make it clear especially when it comes to writing bills and laws! Many bills are simply thrown aside because they are vague or "unreasonable". I promise you, Monsanto and like companies will point out that it is unreasonable to ban or label GMO products, because almost everything, including organic products, are genetically modified in one way or another.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with genetically modifying products to make them bigger, tastier, and easier to grow. It is essentially what mankind has been doing for thousands of years, but faster, more specific, and with modern technology. However, I do believe that the industry of genetically altering crops and other foods should be heavily monitored and regulated. I am not going to sit here and pretend that it hasn't had its bad consequences. If it is done right, it should not be a problem.

The rage against GMO will be 1/10 of current small amount if:
1. there will be possibility to support/not-support GMO by consumers (labeling)
2. farmers will not be prosecuted because theirs crop was pollinated by patented gene sequence
3. GMO currently produced will not harm rests of "natural" genofond (vis point 2) - if it is possible to create "terminator seeds", then it must be possible to create variety which will not f...k with anything else then own variety. This is clearly not intention of GM business, otherwise they will not be able to destroy small farmers via court.
4. varieties of GM crops really works. See cotton in India, rootworm in USA, superweeds resistent to glyphosate.
5. some techniques used by GM industry - namely use of glyphosate - were not directly harming humans and envirnment
6. uneducated farmers in third world will not be forced by criminal conspiracy of corporate executives and corrupted government officials to accept patented seeds

I think that ordinary people tend to embrace development in almost any scientific realm. It is flow in GM industry why so many people reject modern GM technology. It is not because people "hate GM without reason", people hate current GM industry. It is same reason why people hate banksters! Both are greedy bastards without responsibility but big influence on national and international scale.

When I first learned about GM I was amazed. The idea is brilliant and yes - now we have technology to fulfill this idea. But practice and results are HORRIBLE.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
You are going about this all wrong. The supermarket store doesn't decide itself if they are going to sell GMO foods or produce. That decision is of the buyer who purchases for the chain. If you want to protest this, contact the administrative offices of the grocery chain and find out who their produce buyer is. THAT is the person who needs to hear your protest. Your local grocery store personnel are just people trying to earn a living like the rest of us and it's not them that decides what is sold....justsaying

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
What is wrong with GMO?

It's the 21st Century. Grow up.

I hope you don't have children...if not, I hope you don't breed....

Des

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
You are going about this all wrong. The supermarket store doesn't decide itself if they are going to sell GMO foods or produce. That decision is of the buyer who purchases for the chain. If you want to protest this, contact the administrative offices of the grocery chain and find out who their produce buyer is. THAT is the person who needs to hear your protest. Your local grocery store personnel are just people trying to earn a living like the rest of us and it's not them that decides what is sold....justsaying

You are right. Here is a link that provides all the info you need for contacting the stores you may shop in. Includes the contact name of various departments too.

List of supermarket chains in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This is a list of supermarket companies in the United States of America and the names of supermarkets which are owned or franchised by these companies. For supermarkets worldwide, see List of supermarkets.
Contents
[hide]

1 National chains
2 Regional/local chains
3 Retailers' cooperatives
4 Deep-discount and limited-assortment chains
5 Ethnic chains
5.1 Asian
5.2 Hispanic/Latino
6 Specialty and natural foods

en.wikipedia.org...

Call call call.....

Des

edit on 6-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join