Originally posted by CloonBerg
You need to state what your definition of a GMO product is. As a couple posters have already pointed out, man has been modifying food for thousands of
years through selective breeding and hybridization for desired phenotypes. This selective breeding process is NOT natural, and therefore can be
classified as a "modification".
Organic food is not equivalent to a non genetically modified organism.
I think that most people that want non-GMO products are actually saying they want products that have not been genetically altered in a lab through
gene splicing from other animals or species.
I must stress that IF THAT IS THE CASE, please make it clear especially when it comes to writing bills and laws! Many bills are simply thrown aside
because they are vague or "unreasonable". I promise you, Monsanto and like companies will point out that it is unreasonable to ban or label GMO
products, because almost everything, including organic products, are genetically modified in one way or another.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with genetically modifying products to make them bigger, tastier, and easier to grow. It is essentially what
mankind has been doing for thousands of years, but faster, more specific, and with modern technology. However, I do believe that the industry of
genetically altering crops and other foods should be heavily monitored and regulated. I am not going to sit here and pretend that it hasn't had its
bad consequences. If it is done right, it should not be a problem.
The rage against GMO will be 1/10 of current small amount if:
1. there will be possibility to support/not-support GMO by consumers (labeling)
2. farmers will not be prosecuted because theirs crop was pollinated by patented gene sequence
3. GMO currently produced will not harm rests of "natural" genofond (vis point 2) - if it is possible to create "terminator seeds", then it must
be possible to create variety which will not f...k with anything else then own variety. This is clearly not intention of GM business, otherwise they
will not be able to destroy small farmers via court.
4. varieties of GM crops really works. See cotton in India, rootworm in USA, superweeds resistent to glyphosate.
5. some techniques used by GM industry - namely use of glyphosate - were not directly harming humans and envirnment
6. uneducated farmers in third world will not be forced by criminal conspiracy of corporate executives and corrupted government officials to accept
I think that ordinary people tend to embrace development in almost any scientific realm. It is flow in GM industry why so many people reject modern GM
technology. It is not because people "hate GM without reason", people hate current GM industry. It is same reason why people hate banksters! Both
are greedy bastards without responsibility but big influence on national and international scale.
When I first learned about GM I was amazed. The idea is brilliant and yes - now we have technology to fulfill this idea. But practice and results are