It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationist history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If you compress the known geological record into the 6000 year timespan allowed by young earth creationists, here’s what you get. Jesus was pre-Cambrian, the American Revolutionary War was fought in the Jurassic, and did you know WW2 took place during the Eocene?... What you get is madness basically, which is what literal biblical interpretation amounts to..

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
From a religious site:

God created Adam and Eve, and all the animals as vegetarians! All of the animals, including dinosaurs, eat plants.

But, what about those BIG, sharp teeth? Take T-Rex for example, certainly he was a meat eater.

Big, sharp teeth do not mean an animal is a meat eater. Bears have teeth that are big and sharp, similar to a lion's. Yet many bears are mostly vegetation

Link

and...

How do we get fossils?

The animal has to first die. That's rather obvious. When did death enter the world? Not until Genesis chapter three when Adam and Eve disobey God. So up until that time neither people nor animals died. So, based on the Bible, there could not be any bones to create fossils until after the fall.

And finally...

What are most dinosaurs?

They are land animals.

When were all land animals created?

Day six. So on what day must dinosaurs have been created? On day six, the same day people were created.

That's interesting. Could it be the Bible is saying people lived with dinosaurs? Is there any evidence that people lived with dinosaurs? The answer to both of these questions is, "yes".

Link

Well that explains everything!

edit on 5-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Many people believe that the "dragons" in the bible are the same dinosaurs we attribute with being many era's past, that somehow instead lasted up to more recently.

In other words, even though the picture is a joke, it's barely distinguishable from real creationist claims.

There's a point where you shouldn't even try to refute it. It's downright ridiculous, and should just be dismissed as such.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

The quoted text in my last post is from a serious religious site, and they are basically saying dinosaurs and people hung out together.

I don't even know what to say to that.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

See, now I the issue I have is with people trying to say, "The Earth was created 6,000+ years ago and here's the biblical support for it". I believe in the six days of creation (as described in Genesis), but when the Bible says Adam lived 900+ years or whatever and then he died, I want to know by what calendar Adam measured his years.

Let's face it, the calendar has changed how many times SINCE Christ? Therefore I think that, while the events in the BIble happened exactly as it says they did, I don't quite buy the time frame that the modern translation puts it in. Simply because I don't honestly know how many days Adam had in his "years".

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by EPH612

Simply because I don't honestly know how many days Adam had in his "years".

Adam was counting in dog years, he was only 90 something.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Are you preaching to the choir here (Pun intact) LOL

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thing is the Bible was written at a time when we knew a lot less about science,and how things work.
It was merely the interpretation of the day-Its silly to keep on believing it is a book to base modern science on IMO.

Not that it has become completely irrelevant-Some of it is still valuable to us today in many different ways,be they spiritual or historical.

But when it comes to science we have to adapt and progress-
It reminds me that it was only in the 1950's that there was a commonly held belief that there was vegetation,cities,and oceans on Mars.

We now know that is not the case,but there is no harm looking back at what people thought in the 1950's-as long as we don't treat it as absolute truth today..

Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

>Yet many bears are mostly vegetation

Learn something new every day

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I don't even know what to say to that.

There's only one thing to you can say:

Years and years ago I used to be a creationist but luckily I never subscribed to the idea of the young earth. I tried to put myself in God's shoes in a sense, infinite, immortal, nothing to do with himself, why not spend the billions of years experimenting with different forms of life? The way I saw it God has been around, well, forever, infinite time both before him and in front of him, so limiting him to only being able to create life at the beginning of Genesis seemed stupid. Creationists are often quick to put limits on their supposedly infinite God.

edit on 5-4-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Creation is just a myth peddled by bible bashers for there own agenda
Money greed you name it
It must have taken longer than six thousand years for the planet to cool down

>Yet many bears are mostly vegetation

Really
On TV i saw a polar bear chase down and eat a fluffy seal pup
An he was lickin his lips like it was the best thing he had eaten since the last seal pup
Vegan bears

Cran

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Years and years ago I used to be a creationist but luckily I never subscribed to the idea of the young earth. I tried to put myself in God's shoes in a sense, infinite, immortal, nothing to do with himself, why not spend the billions of years experimenting with different forms of life? The way I saw it God has been around, well, forever, infinite time both before him and in front of him, so limiting him to only being able to create life at the beginning of Genesis seemed stupid. Creationists are often quick to put limits on their supposedly infinite God.

edit on 5-4-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

If I understand you right, (and I'd like to think that I am) I find it rather ironic that you seem to be putting limits on God (who is infinite). You seem to be stating the ONLY creation that God could perform was the one described in Genesis. However, while the meaning is not universally accepted, many believe that part of Isaiah 14 describes Lucifer's fall from Heaven, which is commonly thought of as predating the Creation described in Genesis. So I wouldn't say that He was "only able to create life at the beginning of Genesis", being as it seems like the angels existed before that. However, the creation in Genesis WAS the creation of time, of beings able to reproduce (it's also commonly believed that angels are of finite number), and obviously man. Personally, I'd likely find it VERY suspicious if we had detailed descriptions of creations before Genesis, because humanity didn't exist yet and it would be unknown how long it was until humanity was created, but that doesn't mean that such a creation didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EPH612

I'm saying that other creationists tended to limit God to a literal interpretation of Genesis. While when I was a creationist I tended to think of God as a child at play, he could create life wherever and whenever he wanted to in the cosmos and had existed for an eternity before the Earth even existed. I met a lot of fellow believers back then who denied the possibility of intelligent life in the cosmos because human beings were supposedly too special to God, God supposedly had too much going on here to bother creating aliens. I, on the other hand, didn't think so, how boring would eternity be for God if we were the only channel to watch

I've long since broken through the indoctrination of my youth and accepted the obvious reality of Evolution.

I was a Teenage Creationist

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Obviously "days" in the bible aren't literal dates...except every single time it "fits"

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Greetings to all

So be it. What is a Day?

www.eliyah.com...

3117 yowm yome from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverb):--age, + always, + chronicals, continually(-ance), daily, ((birth-), each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever(-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (... live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year(-ly), + younger.

The Genesis Account of Creation/Recreation utilizes the noted term YOWM, which the translators affixed the English term DAY to in their Translation for Jolly King James.

What does the meaning of a "Day" matter how it is applied today?

The important matter revolves around the Original Text and the application that those chosen terms had at the time. As one can clearly see, YOWM means various things and today, it still means all of those various things. Nothing has been changed since then. It is the manner inwhich it is used that affixes the appropriate span of time.

Today, I can say, I spent the YOWM trying to note the stupidity of some who assume GOD created the Universe in 144 Hours.

or

The Yowm of the Dinosaur was spanned of Millions of Years.

In One case, I am speaking of my waking hours today, and this would reflect a 12-14 Hours period of time. Depends on how exhausted I feel later...

The other covers an AGE, or ERA, which has nothing to do with periods of time that are recorded in 24 hour segments

Same word, different meanings.

Next, it would be a useful thing understanding the BIBLE is quite clear about time, and if the effort was put forth to learn, people could realize this, rather than spewing false information and suggesting outrageous fictions as fact.

An ATS Thread from the past covers this quite well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its here so people can learn these things and discuss them.

And there are many previous Threads that have spoken to this matter here for review, and revival. We do have a Search Engine.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EPH612
reply to post by Atzil321

See, now I the issue I have is with people trying to say, "The Earth was created 6,000+ years ago and here's the biblical support for it". I believe in the six days of creation (as described in Genesis), but when the Bible says Adam lived 900+ years or whatever and then he died, I want to know by what calendar Adam measured his years.

This isn't something specific to Adam.

All of the Generations of Adam thru to Noah, along with those created/recreated on the 6th yowm had extended lifespans. the thing that changed was the removal of the firmament which is addressed in the Account of the Noah's Flood.

These are the same periods of time we live in today. 360 Days or so per Year.

It is after the Flood that this Lifespan is reduced to some 120 Years. It is again reduced to 70 some odd years all due to the sinful way mankind acted with so much time on his hands.

Let's face it, the calendar has changed how many times SINCE Christ? Therefore I think that, while the events in the BIble happened exactly as it says they did, I don't quite buy the time frame that the modern translation puts it in. Simply because I don't honestly know how many days Adam had in his "years".

These changes you are asking about are minor. Affixing periods of the year to incorperate say Julius or Augusta, does little to distract from the main thing. From one Winter Solstice to another is still a year. This would have been an important measure of time for someone who was a Farmer. When to plant and when to sow are key to Adam's survival.

I trust you get the point.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Obviously "days" in the bible aren't literal dates...except every single time it "fits"

You are absolutely right.

And those "Exceptions" revolve around the prescribed Dogmas, Doctrines and Theologies MAN wishes to apply to the scriptures. We are in an example of this now.

The Bible does not say anything close to what the topic suggests.

The Church does though, and it relies on the ignorance of the sheep, not questioning their (The Churches) stated falsehoods, or promoting the concept of studying the Bible without their (The Churches) guidance.

Much like the Education System today. The Young are not taught HOW to Learn. They are Taught WHAT to Know.

Get them Dumb. Keep them Dumb.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shane

This isn't something specific to Adam.

All of the Generations of Adam thru to Noah, along with those created/recreated on the 6th yowm had extended lifespans. the thing that changed was the removal of the firmament which is addressed in the Account of the Noah's Flood.

These are the same periods of time we live in today. 360 Days or so per Year.

It is after the Flood that this Lifespan is reduced to some 120 Years. It is again reduced to 70 some odd years all due to the sinful way mankind acted with so much time on his hands.

I didn't mean to say it was ONLY Adam. I was only using that as an example. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. But yes, you're correct that it wasn't specific to Adam. Noah, Adam, Moses, Methuselah, and others all had extended life spans. And I didn't mean to say the year itself changed, simply the way in which a year was measured.

These changes you are asking about are minor. Affixing periods of the year to incorperate say Julius or Augusta, does little to distract from the main thing. From one Winter Solstice to another is still a year. This would have been an important measure of time for someone who was a Farmer. When to plant and when to sow are key to Adam's survival.

I trust you get the point.

Many of the changes were "minor", yes. However, not all. The Roman pre-Julian calendar was more than a "little" off. It had 355 days, so the Romans made a habit of adding or subtracting days for the calendar to be "right". I wouldn't call this a "minor" change. Eventually politicians started manipulating the calendar to lengthen their terms or shorten those of opponents. Needless to say, it ended up being INCREDIBLY off until Julius Caesar got things more or less back on track.

And different calendars from different regions around the world often had different measurements. Some had twelve months, others ten (with more days in each month), some had 365 days while others didn't, some didn't account for leap years, etc. So yes, from one Winter Solstice to another would be one "year", but depending on different calendars, one might have the WInter Solstice in the tenth month of the year, others the eighth, or so forth. That's why I'm a little skeptical of whether the years that their lifespan was measured in was around 365.25 days.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EPH612

Your reply is understood.

There are aspects surrounding this though, that "Time" becomes fixed. It is defined.

The Winter Solstice, Summer Solstice, as well as the Equinoxes are fixed events, and have been thus since the "Re-creation/Creation story of Genesis.

We have many Ancient Structures on this Planet that verify and measure these times, with precision.

There is also the matter of what occurs, (generally) on these days. They are High/Holy Days in most areas of the Planet and have been so for Millenium.

As an example, Why did Cain murder Abel? Because GOD was pleased with Abel's Offering, and was displeased, so to speak, with Cain's.

I note this because it was upon these Holy Days, that these offerings would be made to GOD.

I trust you understand what I mean.

Ciao

Shane

top topics

join