It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compatibility Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sorry my questions wasn't so easily picked upon, thought it would be helpul for you all to know what type of device I was working on. I guess the thing I'm questioning is called the data plan that is being offered. Here is a change, to the format hopefully this will clarify the questions, a little better

Two Questions:

Would like to know the answer to first description of my deviceI have a netbook computer with 1.66GHZ, 512 Cache, and a 160 GB HD, with Windows 7 starter, yes, I know the computer has a few years on it, but still performing reasonably well,would like to pick up on ATT high speed internet offer, but unsure about the compatibility what I figure would be 150 GB data storage for me, would this service be compatible with this device?
I am currently in a bubble using public wi-fi, its secured as best I can, do no real form of business on this internet service.
Would I also have to use a virus protection, along with the paying for the internet? Really don't need the extra expense. I am careul about opening e-mail, don't open when it looks questionable, and have the Protect Mode on all the time.

Also, would like to know about the response that I get when the web-site goes to Not Responding. I have it on automatic defragment schedule, so I imagine it's not this.

Thanks for the help.
edit on 5-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add thoughts and improve questions.

edit on 5-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: for a better clarification of question

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What is the question...?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You want to know if this laptop is compatible with a high speed internet connection? Not really sure I understand you correctly..

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Yeah friend you are a little vague but,if i understand you correctly you will have no problem with att(other than the usual,it'll work)YES you need an anti-virus,unless you switch to linux...i am not sure of the questions though...peace ya'll

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
anti-virus is usually always..free..at least for me it's always been and internet has nothing to do with your pc stats.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
hi op

press
CTRL +ALT+DELETE

how many tasks are running
and what percentage does it say at the bottom
dave

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Just one other besides ATS and that's iGoogle.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Hmm not sure if you can get it with windows 7 starter, but microsoft offers "security essentials" for free, half decent protection, coupled with a firewall, and it's pretty secure.

With that, I suggest using firefox or chrome as your browser and installing noscript or yesscript, to block scripts and only allow trusted ones, as this is how most infections from the web take root.

Anyways, I really don't know what you are asking:

150 GB data storage

do you mean data plan? I'm completely confused here, is your isp offering you online storage space? 150 GB is an insane amount of free storage space.

That has nothing to do with compatibility with your pc, at all.

Page not responding is just that, maybe your wifi signal isn't strong enough to load the page, there is a time out and if your machine doesn't respond, you don't get the page.
edit on 5-4-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gary714

YES you need an anti-virus,unless you switch to linux

Sorry, have to nip that crap in the bud. Just like OSX, you DO need antivirus. And with the way linux is setup, depending on your distro, a virus can do much more damage to a linux install than windows.

No os is secure, you should have a firewall and antivirus on any os.

Linux is "secure" compared to windows only as such as it's locked down locally, the local user has no ability to mess with things that a windows user would. That's the only "secure" part of it. And the way linux works, there is no "repair cd" you are reinstalling or rebuilding kernels.

Someone this confused with computers should avoid linux like the plague until they find a linux guru to train them in the ways of the force.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yes, I mean the data plan, to stream tv and movies. Thanks for your input.

top topics

join