It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Titanic was the Olympic.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

The Titanic was the Olympic

Wow, a conspiracy theory older than I am, lol!!!

I first read this possibility back around the '80s and even then, it was old. If memory serves, it was conjured by a fellow who worked for an insurance-based security service out of London in the Roaring '20s. In his view, there was no iceberg.

This would also explain why no apparent damage has yet been found on the actual wreckage.

Personally, I think it is probably bunk... but, who knows?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

They renamed it the Olympic.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
coffin, meet nail

For interest, the Olympic as scrapped in the 1930s and many of her fittings wound up at auction, and can be found at places such as the White Swan hotel in Alnwick, and, until recently, the Crown Paint HQ in the North of England, The wood pannelling has the number "400" inscribed on the back - the Olympic's yard number (Titanic's was 401).

fascinating site

cool site

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
From the Wiki:
en.wikipedia.org...

The Hawke incident was a financial disaster for Olympic's operator, and keeping her out of revenue service made matters worse. Olympic returned to Belfast, and to speed up her repair, Harland and Wolff was forced to delay Titanic's completion in order to use her propeller shaft for Olympic. In February 1912, Olympic lost a propeller blade, and once again returned to her builder for repairs. To get her back to service as soon as possible, Harland & Wolff again had to pull resources from Titanic, delaying her maiden voyage from 20 March 1912 to 10 April 1912.[10]

Propeller shafts are internal, must have put a huge stress on Olympics hull to cause a damage like that!
So after they kept robbing the Titanic of all her *parts* to keep the Olympia's reputation intact what was left to set sale for the iceberg in 1912?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

WOW!! now there is a big conspiracy, what was the Titanic doing on the River Clyde??

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

it seems on the 15th the titanic will come under unesco protection do deter unethical plundering and i suspect to limit the amount of exploration down there.

f.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
srry for the huge cut and paste but, if your first reaction to this is that it is nonsense, well, it is. they are not identical ships, there were many differences, and how do you keep 15,000 men quiet ? you don't

the turkish baths are a dead give away. there are pictures from olympic, an just this month national geographic had pictures of titanic's baths. they are not the same. interesting idea, but it didn't happen

reconstruction of the great decision to switch the two mighty vessels of the White Star Line...

Prologue: September 1911. The RMS Olympic, sister ship of the Titanic (due to start her maiden voyage in March) had been seriously damaged in a collision with the Admiralty cruiser HMS Hawke off the Isle of Wight. An examination of the Olympic revealed the ship to be unseaworthy, and although she could be temporarily patched for a return trip to her builders in Belfast, it was clear that she was unsalvageable. Faced with ruinous costs, the White Star Line decided on a radical plan...

Bruce Ismay, the head of the White Star Line was worried. The Olympic, his brainchild to recapture the lucrative North Atlantic passenger trade from Cunard, had been seriously wounded. She was due into Belfast the next morning, October 6th, 1911 for "repairs". But he, and everyone else, knew that she was worthless and could never carry on her business as before.

He approached Thomas Andrews (Managing Director of Harland and Wolff, the builder) with a cunning, daring plan. Switch the Olympic with the Titanic (currently under construction), scuttle the "Titanic", have the passengers saved, claim the insurance money, and save the White Star Line from an impending financial disaster.

Ismay and Andrews had enjoyed a sumptious meal at the White Star Liner's owners palatial home: sat in his leather upholstered chair, a fat cigar protruding from the corner of his mouth, a whispy trail of smoke ensuing. Ismay swilled a glass of brandy as he asked Andrews what he thought of his plan.

Andrews stood in front of Ismay, his face white with surprise. He was simply astounded. "Don't you realise, sir, that public confidence in the White Star Line would be forever destroyed if the ship were to ram an Iceberg?"

"But Andrews," said Ismay between puffs on his cigar, "It'll be an accident. No-one will be to blame. Oh, of course the officers of the watch may face some probing for not avoiding such an accident, but I think the White Star Line will be, as we say 'off the hook'." He took a generous swig of brandy, the hint of a smile and an enquiring gaze on his face, as he waited for Andrews response.

"I think its ludicrous".

"But Andrews, its the only way. Olympic can't sail again - but we can make money out of a catastrophe."

The conversation continued thus for hours, Ismay wearing down Andrews under the condition that no lives would be lost. Ismay pledged his word.

"Alright," said Andrews, still not happy with the plan, "then its simply a matter of logistics; men, equipment, supplies to make the switch feasible."

Ismay slapped the arm of his chair, his voice rising to an excitable squeak, "That's it Andrews! What kind of things did you have in mind?"

Andrews paused for a minute or two, gazing into the warm glow of the fireplace, as his mind poured through his mental notes of the construction and out-fitting of both vessels. "Well, the obvious ones are the name plates. If we can get new plates ,the names cut in, and then switched, then that will be the first step."

"Good," Ismay said between generous puffs on his cigar, "What else?"

"I'm thinking of all the changes and differences between the ships. You recall the B deck promenade on the Olympic and how on the Titanic this would be passenger cabins?"

"Ah yes. My idea."

"Well, we've just about finished on the external and internal layout of the modifications. So, all that will need to be ripped put and transferred to the Olympic, er, I mean Titanic."

Ismay sat forward. "How hard would it be to switch these cabins?"

"I don't know," sighed Andrews, "we've never done retrofitting like this before. It might not be a big job. I imagine its all a matter of time."

"Well, I want 'Olympic' to resume her Atlantic run as scheduled for November."

"That means leaving here about November 20th to get to Southampton in time for the loading of provisions etc."

Ismay did some quick arithmetic, "Well, she dry-docked on October 11th so thats 40 days. That should be enough, surely?"

Andrews nodded, trying to placate his customer.

"You can divert some men to do the modifications? You have 15,000 men?" Ismay suggested.

"Quite true, Sir, but we are performing work on other ships for other lines, and, if you remember, we are due to be laying the keel for the Gigantic in November too?"

"Oh yes," Ismay sat back dejected, "I forgot. I could always delay the maiden voyage for the Titanic, er Olympic, from March 20th to April 10th. That gives you three weeks."

"That will help of course. A lot of that time will be used performing repairs on the Olympic/Titanic and keeping reasonably to schedule with the construction of the 'Titanic', to prevent anyone's suspicions being aroused about delays etc."

Ismay sighed. His plan was starting to come together. "So, what needs to be done to make this switch convincing?"

"As you know, Sir, the two ships differ significantly in construction, and not just B deck. For instance, the carpetting and floor tiles are different in colour. So every one of them will need to be changed to keep up this story."

"I have faith in you, Andrews" beamed Ismay.

Andrews pretended to smile. He didn't like his hard work for Ismay being belittled and abused in such a manner.
"The Turkish bath area on the starboard side of F deck is different in layout. And then theres the front of the wheelhouse. In the Olympic, its curved, but on Titanic, its flat."

"OK"

"The bridge and officers quarters needs changing too. On Olympic, the wireless cabin had an outside window, but this was changed on Titanic to allow more seaward facing cabins to be included, There are quite a few other changes too." mused Andrews, his mind racing through his mental blueprints.

"Titanic's lifeboats and davits aren't due to be fitted until later on in the year, so we'll need to transfer the whole lot to the Olympic, er, Titanic"

"Splendid!" beamed Ismay, "And you'll have to change the nameplates on them of course."

"But of course," Andrews managed a sickly grin. He paused.
"I've just had a somewhat worrying thought. Just about every piece of wood on the ships we build has the builder's number written on the back to identify which ship the piece was intended for. We'll need to remove the woodwork from the ship and alter the numbering, in case anyone checks."

"All of it?" Ismay erupted "Do you know how much wood there is on the Olympic?"

Andrews did know. "It sounds arduous, but I believe its necessary. What if someone checks in decades to come? Or what if theres a major refit, or repairs are needed."

Ismay wasn't very happy. This would eat into his schedule significantly.

An uncomfortable silence descended upon the room. Andrews mind sprung into life again. "What about sea trials?"

"What about them?" Ismay muttered clenching his teeth, dropping ash into his lap.

"Olympic ex-Titanic wouldn't have had any. I wouldn't like going to sea without testing her."

"Dash it all! That would give the game away, man!"

Andrews sulked. "And by the way, how do we get away with this without 15,000 Irish men coming forward and telling someone?"

Ismay sat back in his chair; "Now THAT, my dear Andrews, is a good question...."

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 79ymaot
reply to post by Submarines

Incorrect. Titanic's center propeller had 4 blades.

Unfortunately, almost 90 percent of the photos that are supposed to be of the Titanic were actually of Olympic. Please look at the following link of the "As Built" notes of the three sisters regarding the screws. The Titanic was supposed to be a test bed using the 3- 3bladed screws for speed and efficiency. Since the Titanic sank on her first voyage, data regarding the testing was incomplete. You will note that Olympic was refit with 3- 3's on her first overhaul after the sinking of Titanic to complete the testing. Olympic's central screw was later replaced with her original 4 bladed screw. Britanic, on the other hand, always had 2- 3's and 1- 4.
Clicky the Linky!
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Something that bothers me about the "documentary", is how the portrayed Capt. Smith as an idiot.

This is offered for a read:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
"Dum, dum, dee dum. Dee, dee, deedee." A workman pauses, puts down his tools and looks up and along the docks on the river Clyde. Two gigantic ocean liners loom overhead, massive and majestic.

Majestic and massive, he thinks to himself, or he would, if he had been properly educated. Instead, he thinks, or rather "finks". "'ere's two bloody big bollocksy buggers, then."

"These 'ere are the foinist vessels in the whole ocean, 'ats what they are, an there's no doubt about it. An' like two peas in a pod, they are. Ain't that something. Look at 'em. Ain't they foin."

"They're big and bollocksy. Bollocksy and big."

He gazes at them.

"You can hardly tell 'em apart."

He bends over to pick up his tools. "That's where I come in. I puts the finishin' touch on em. I decides which is which."

In a bucket were letters to spell out two names which would become legend, Titanic and Olympic or was it the other way around.

"Nevermind" he funk to his self. "It don't matter. They's like two peas in a pod anyway."

This was to be his last day on the job, if only he knew.

Except neither ship were ever on the Clyde?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
I don't buy this. Thousands of men working in the shipyard would have known.

Blatant BS.

And look at how many workers refused to work on Titanic on it's maiden voyage during a time of high unemployment and a coal strike. Very odd. But maybe not. Perhaps (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) they knew that "Titanic" was actually the Olympic which had been badly damaged and shoddily repaired. The following data is from the Web page "Titanic Deception" found here:

www.realityreviewed.com...

In Newton's "Why They Sank Titanic," we hear that all but two of the crew who worked down in the bowels of the ship, tending boilers and engines, refused to sign up again for the voyage across the Atlantic, "preferring instead to wait for work on another ship." However, the impact of this amazing revelation is heightened considerably if we replace the "all but two" phrase with actual numbers of:

Trimmers
Firemen
Greasers

Trimmers refusing the Atlantic crossing when thousands of men were desperate for work ( source ).

James Auld, 32
William Bailey, 30
James Barry, 31
Robert Bartley, 32
Francis Beattie, 36
William Benson, 25
B. Brewer, 24
John Bryan, 22
James Carson, 36
William Cassidy, 30
John Cosgrove, 23
William Cosgrove, 26
John Crossley, 34
Joseph Ellison, 29
John Flack, 30
William Flemming, 32
Thomas Gibson, 20
William Hamilton, 24
John Harvey, 26
Hugh Herd, 35
Thomas Holman, 24
Alex Horner, 38
Thomas James, 36
Patrick Keenan, 35
Joseph Kirkpatrick, 37
Joseph Loughran, 28
Thomas Lytle, 31
Samuel Mann, 40
John Mathers, 26
Daniel McDonald, 26
Thomas McGill, 29
Henry McGivern, 41
Richard McGreevy, 26
Robert McIlroy, 26
James McIlwaine, 25
Richard McMullan, 23
William Mechan, 38
Thomas Morrison, 26
Matthew Paton, 26
A. Penney, 28, deserted.
Thomas Robinson, 30
David Shannon, 30
William Simms, 38
Joseph Smith, 25
Andrew Stevenson, 28
John Stewart, 30
Matthew Stewart, 25
Joseph Swarbrick, 22
William Taggart, 23
Arthur Valler, 25
Robert Walker, 43
Robert Wallace, 26
James Waugh, 26

Firemen refusing the Atlantic crossing when thousands of men were desperate for work ( source ).

Archibald Andrews, 38
James Armstrong, 31
David Bain, 46
Robert Barkley, 39
Robert Bittle. 37
James Black, 38
John Boal, 40
Adam Boyd, 38
William Bridan, 33
Frank Burness, 43
W. Burrows, 29, "left by consent."
Robert Cairnes, 50
John Cardwell, 32
William Chevers, 28
James Cleland, 29
Robert Cochrane, 40
John Coffey, 24, deserted at Queenstown.
Thomas Conner, 39
David Craig, 33
John Craig, 29
Michael Creughane, 45
Thomas Croskery, 38
Patrick Cullen, 36
Charles Decker, 47
John Denver, 33
Joseph Dunlop, 47
John Farley, 31
George Ferris, 34
Nicholas Ferron, 32
Robert Fletcher, 38
Michael Flinn, 34
David Gass, 45
David Gorman, 33
William Gregg, 43
John Hadley, 37
John Hale, 25
George Hall, 38
Joseph Halpin, 24
William Hanley, 25
Samuel Harkin, 36
Thomas Hart, 32, "not on board."
James Henry, 47
William Hepburn, 27
Frank Holden, 29, deserted.
James Holland, 30
T. Holland, 28
Nicholas Holme, 36
George Hutton, 37
William Jameson, 48
John Keenan, 58
William Keenan, 43
William Keenan, 32
David Kernaghan, 30
Charles Kinstry, 30
James Lewis, 34
James Little, 49
James Little, 28
David Lowery, 28
John Martin, 33
James Massey, 35
William Maxwell, 39
William Mayes, 29
Hugh McAllister, 34
Daniel McAllistor, 29
James McArthur, 29
David McCarron, 32
George McDonald, 30
Charles McEntee, 37
Patrick McGee, 32
Samuel McGee, 48
John McGill, 36
Thomas McGivern, 43
Frank McGough, 25
Barney McGown, 43
Barney McIlroy, 26
William McIlroy, 40
Peter McKinney, 40
William McMillan, 35
William McMillan, 26
Patrick McMullan, 30
Thomas McMullan, 55
William Miller, 32
Patrick Morgan, 26
Daniel Mulholland, 48
Joe Mulholland, 45
Thomas Neill, 42
Thomas O'Flannigan, 39
James Phillips, 27
William Phillips, 26
Robert Pierce, 40
William Pigeon, 39
John Quinn, 34
James Reid, 36
Andrew Shaw, 37
J. Shaw, 40, failed to join.
W. Sims, 30, "left by consent."
Alfred Slade, 25, deserted. **
Bertram Slade, 26, deserted. **
Thomas Slade, 27, deserted. **
John Smyth, 33
James Stevenson, 40
John Stevenson, 49
Samuel Strange, 38
William Swarbrick, 24
Thomas Tinsley, 40
James Walls, 32
William Ward, 24
Patrick Welsh, 50
Robert Woodmey, 41

The more discerning amongst their ranks would thus have vocally asked the questions: why has this previously badly damaged ship been renamed Titanic, when the real Titanic has been built and fitted out? And what are they going to do with this renamed ship? The answers would have been pretty obvious, but the superstitious ones among them would have known even before this, since they would have been instantly aware of the old saying that, "if the name of a ship was changed when it was sold, then the ship would meet with disaster"

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by frostymug

Thanks for that link mate. That is what I heard about, but couldnt find it. 173 men refusing work and the chance to go back on the Titanic, when there was no work? They must have known what was going to happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by frostymug

That's a great post, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, but will do so again.
Big thumbs up.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
reply to post by GLontra

Not only was Pearl Harbor the 9/11 of the 20th century but when was 9/11 predicted in fiction?

2nd

Prediction by the same Guy whole predicted the Titanic Morgan Robertson

well.. Somewhat!! about Pearl Harbor ...

Morgan Robertson - Other works

In 1914, in a volume that also contained a new version of Futility, Robertson included a short story called "Beyond the Spectrum", which described a future war between the United States and Empire of Japan, a popular subject at the time. Japan does not declare war but instead launches sneak attacks on United States ships en route to the Philippines and Hawaii; an invasion fleet about to launch a surprise attack on San Francisco is stopped by the hero using the weapon from a captured Japanese vessel.

en.wikipedia.org...

911 prediction Movies !!

Long Kiss Goodnight
World Trade Center Attack Confirmation in 1996

The Lone Gunman (six month before it)

and Reality

A Guy Named Rick Rescorla....

edit on 8-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Nice to see this being presented here in ATS and actual offerings for review being introduced.

I am a regular listener to a Radio Show in the Toronto area which should air now, about 8:00PM every Saturday Night. The Show is called "A View from Space" and the Host is a person known as Gary, "The Spaceman" Bell.

Should you ever wish to listen, www.640toronto.com... hit the link and enjoy. (Should the Link not work, just Google 640Toronto. You'll find it listed)

Anyways, Gary should be discussing the Sinking of the "Vessel" 100 years ago, this coming Saturday. The best way to listen is via online streaming. This is because he provides links for individual review by you, the listener.

He does this for every show, but the Titanic and the events surrounding it, cover many areas, some which have been noted here already. But if I remember correctly, there where other aspects that I did not see addressed yet here.

The show should run about 3 or 4 hours this week, since we in Toronto, no longer have the Maple Leafs playing Hockey. 640Toronto is the home of the Leafs and they broadcast their games on air. Normally, The Show would follow the game, which could end at 11:00 PM or later in some cases.

Be there for 8:00. You'll have a good seat for a interesting lesson on this subject.

If you wish to get info from the website, do not bother. They DO NOT promote Gary or his show in anyway. They have no archives of his shows, nor is he paid for his efforts broadcasting.

But, from my perspective, it is the BEST Radio Show out there.

I hope some at least listen. He has Listeners from places around this globe, and would be more than pleased to have you all as one as well.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

Thanks for posting. The evidence in the video series is absolutely correct and thus, thoroughly convincing.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by repeatoffender

the titanic was underinsured - a pretty poor " insurance scam "

'Underinsured'?

For the cost of building a brand new replacement ship in excange for a critically damaged ship, when the company was in dire financial straits, and being leant on by the crooks in the FED to set up the perfect cover for the murder of three of the most influencial opponents to their newly established con that was set to take Americans for a ride for generations to come...looks like one of the most perfect insurance scams + multiple murder covers for untold profit in history to me.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Best thread I have seen on ATS in years.
Thank you very much
Res.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
i might buy this theory if the boats were identical but they were not
click on the link below and you will see all the differences ,there is no way they could have changed all that around

www.freewebs.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

reply to post by Wolfenz

It's very intriguing that the 9/11 terrorist attacks like so many other significant events in recent history followed a script and had been predicted in popular culture before they came true (e.g. the Titanic, Princess Diana's miserable marriage and "accidental" death, the OKC Bombing, etc.) This eerie phenomenon is known as "fiction before fact" and a good online book on the subject I came across a few months back is called "Imagining 9/11" at www.scribd.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join