It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titanic a 'metaphor for the end of Humanity'..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I recently read on a local news site that James Cameron thinks Titanic is a "metaphor" for the end of the human race.

The writer and director of the 1997 movie thinks it is still relevant 12 years later because the sinking of the legendary ship represents the problem of global warming.

'We've been warned' he states.

He stated: "I think we're facing a century of adversity on a global scale because we're just going past all of nature's boundaries for how we create food and how we create energy.

"This is the century where we're either going to figure it out and get our # together as a species or we're going down. The Titanic metaphor is there. We've been warned, the iceberg is right in front of us and we just can't seem to turn this big bitch of a ship fast enough not to hit it."

James also warned the human race is currently "recklessly charging towards an iceberg", proving the film still has "meaning" today.

In my opinion his defining statement of this interview was when he added: "Governments seem paralysed; they just can't seem to do anything that's concrete, there doesn't seem to be strong leadership in the world on critical issues and a lot of it is because of the influence of special interests to businesses.

I have always questioned why do our "elders" or "leaders" never identify that there is a problem?

He went on to say "We've got to make the money, we've got to make the GDP, we've got to turn the economy around. So let's just turn a blind eye to the environment, to the ocean, to carbon pollution. This legacy that we're going to pass on to our kids.

"This is just like the Titanic - we're just recklessly charging towards an iceberg and the thing that wreck proves is that the unthinkable can and does happen. We have to be prepared to accept the consequences. That's why Titanic still has meaning to me; it's a great metaphor to society."

In some ways I agree totally with Mr. Cameron but the question remains, was he merely saying this to get publicity for the re-screening of his movie Titanic or did he truly mean every word he spoke? Regardless his words are true but like most enviromental facts regarding over-population and pollution we as a society quickly forget the true ugly reality which we and our children are going to face one of these days.

I shiver to think what our generation will be remembered for

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The writer and director of the 1997 movie thinks it is still relevant 12 years later because he's bringing it out in 3D and he wants more publicity..
It was an actual event, I can't see how he thinks he can interpret it as anything but that, he seems to believe that he wrote the story of Titanic and as such he can explain his thinking of how he wrote it, think hes got too much nitrogen in his blood.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The point at which we could turn the ship around has come and gone. We are just going along for the ride now. Our 'leaders' decided it would be better to use the crisis to generate more wealth, rather than treat it for what it is (the biggest threat to our survival we have ever faced)....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

As sad as it is I must admit you are correct. There is no way that the current population at the current growth rate can be supported now or in the future. We are already feeding our children plastic (most sweets and chocolates are nothing more) and substandard foods due to GM standards which are basically forced onto farmers even here in South Africa

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
the irony is the titanic was its sister ship the olympic three opponents to the federal reserve act were on board. All three drowned. John Jacob Astor IV, Benjamin Guggenheim, and Isador Strauss

The titanic sank on the 15th April 1912

In 1913 the federal reserve act was made into law.

This made it necessary for US citizens to pay income tax (the interest on the loans)

The deadline to US tax returns is the 15th April

The sinking of the Titanic was an insurance scam. The switch was made in Belfast docks. Under-water video of the sunken vessel in the Atlantic proves the name plate now shows the letters "M" and "P". The letters of "Titanic" "A" and "N", previously affixed over them, have dropped off.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I like it.

In the film there is the them and us, the monied elite and the plebs in steerage.

The elite stopped at nothing to save themselves trampling over women and children to save themselves.

The rest of us perished.

Not to mention the reason the ship was where it was in the first place, was to take a short cut and save money.

So it went down because of greed.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShaunSwindon
I recently read on a local news site that James Cameron thinks Titanic is a "metaphor" for the end of the human race.

The writer and director of the 1997 movie thinks it is still relevant 12 years later because the sinking of the legendary ship represents the problem of global warming.

I'll be interested to hear what he says when he arrives in 2012, as 12 years from 1997 is 2009. SO he's stuck in the past it seems!?

Can you show me where plastic chocolate comes from? I've never heard of it. But you say that chocolate is plastic.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
You can find metaphors anywhere if you really want to.
This big old ship of our's may well be sinking, but as a fellow Stokie to Captain Smith I'm just going to bimble on doing my bit and the band will play on till my feet get wet.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

Thank's for the video, I watched all six......There is proof that the Titanic that sunk was in fact the Olympic, so when will something be done about it.??

Please start a thread about it, I would like to see what others have to say.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

It seems you misunderstood sir. Cameron made these comments this year (2012) before his 1997 movie Titanic is to be released for the second time but this time in 3D

On my comment regarding plastic in chocolate I am refering to the Chinese method of putting Melamine into Baby formula to boost the protein levels. This was a huge issue a few years ago and the guilty company directors were if I am not mistaken put to death for their actions after a couple of babies actually died around the World

If you believe that the chocolate you buy from your local shop is 100% chocolate and good for you then perhaps you should take a closer look at the ingredients which make up the product.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
You can find metaphors anywhere if you really want to.

Right on bro! There's lot of metaphors out there where the main character met their demise because of greed and pride, and many of these are in old children's tales!

Our current civilization, is not sustainable, in fact, middle class lifestyles are not sustainable by this planet! Maybe some of you will marvel at our 'modern technology' and 'modern human society' when all of it is foolishly conceived, blinded by greed, it's not just those on top responsible, it's everyone's responsibility!! 'I want to get rewarded now, who cares about tomorrow', 'it's our leaders fault, is probably the thinking of most people today, sadly...

top topics

join