It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History is written by the victors.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Koffee

HAHHAHAHA.....I always assumed she...well He was a woman...Is my face red...
You know what you get when you assume right?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Now, why I wonder would the Govt drones need to come out in force for this topic. One objects, two back up the objector and they hope peoples views are changed. \

History is fluid, history is a propaganda tool.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Not making an argument either way, just love this monologue.

Hell on Wheels - "History is Written by the zebra for the zebra"

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i dont know about the history book thing, i went to school in the 90s and remember clearly a section on the bombs and a section about pear harbor both blandly written as the rest

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
So the question remains how much of our history is completely fabricated?
You know how easy it would've been to manipulate history before the internet? Heck, it probably wouldn't even be that difficult WITH the internet. People sometimes can't remember what happened in the news a month ago, and don't get me started with events that happened a year or two ago(what were the series of events leading up to the Libya bombing?). With Wikipedia, they could just change something and no one would have any clue.

Only a small percentage of people knew what was really going on at the time before the internet was invented.
Really think about our system? How easy it would be to make up things?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
So the question remains how much of our history is completely fabricated?
You know how easy it would've been to manipulate history before the internet? Heck, it probably wouldn't even be that difficult WITH the internet. People sometimes can't remember what happened in the news a month ago, and don't get me started with events that happened a year or two ago(what were the series of events leading up to the Libya bombing?). With Wikipedia, they could just change something and no one would have any clue.

Only a small percentage of people knew what was really going on at the time before the internet was invented.
Really think about our system? How easy it would be to make up things?

Speaking as a historian in training, the source material is there and pretty much unchanging and gives a pretty clear view of the general picture. What changes within the field is not the history of events but interpretations and understanding of what was going on.

Or in other words, unless there was a all mighty super powerful conspiracy (and if there was such a thing you have bigger problems then if fictional character A in the was credited for something) that fabricated everything from government records to diaries, to plates in the ground, history that gets fabricated is pretty much easily called on. Now there are grey areas where you had nationalist movements going through their own history and claiming it meant something else then it did, but that's more interpretation then fabrication.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I've argued that with my history teacher in high school many times.

I was the history teacher's nightmare
I was one of the few students that i was reading history books and looked at other sources so i usually knew more than the lesson required.For a reason i never understood,instead of getting praises for my will to learn i was usually sent to the headmaster's office,because the questions i asked and the comments i made were "outside" the teaching material and i was distracting the class.Go figure

We were talking about Christopher Columbus and what a great adventurer he was. I had to ask, "Why aren't we talking about the genocide of the Natives instead is quest to find spices?" It sounded rediculous to me that we were not talking about the real implications of Columbus' journeys.

I have noticed a pattern,most of you might noticed as well.When we learn the history of allied countries,most of the times everything is peachy and crimes are deleted.They usually transfer the guilt of certain actions to the actual victims.
When we learn history of real or imaginary enemies we are taught of monsters and the details of every killing can compete with the best horror fiction.

I believe the text books should all be rewritten with an objective view.

In that point the truth in history is so well covered by all the lies,that only with time travel we will be able to find someone to rewrite the books with an objective view.Travel in the past and write them while they happen.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yes history is very subjective, take religion for example, how many christians have no idea of the history of christianity, what proceeded christianity, same with judism, islam, etc. People are for the most part content to be told the history of a given religion/civilization/event without questioning it or considering it might be fallible.

I think what we actually know is far far less than what we think we 'know' and history is in fact riddled with proverbial land mines of misinformation and disinformation by those who manipulated it for an agenda.
edit on 6-4-2012 by sweetstuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Hmmm. That's good advise. I'll keep that under consideration.

<< 1  2   >>

join