It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luna & Sol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It was my belief that the moon was named Luna and the sun was named Sol. I don't know why I thought this but I'm fairly convinced I was taught this at a young age.

According to Wikipedia these are Latin names and (as said the Sun page) not used commonly in English. The page states scientists use Sol to refer to a solar day, not the Sun. According to Wikipedia the official name of the Moon is the Moon.

Did I miss an email or something? Did this happen when Pluto stopped being a planet? It just seems a little dumbed down to me.

What do you folks prefer Sun/Moon or Sol/Luna?

Wikipedia - Sun
Wikipedia - Moon

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncents
It was my belief that the moon was named Luna and the sun was named Sol. I don't know why I thought this but I'm fairly convinced I was taught this at a young age.

According to Wikipedia these are Latin names and (as said the Sun page) not used commonly in English. The page states scientists use Sol to refer to a solar day, not the Sun. According to Wikipedia the official name of the Moon is the Moon.

Did I miss an email or something? Did this happen when Pluto stopped being a planet? It just seems a little dumbed down to me.

What do you folks prefer Sun/Moon or Sol/Luna?

Wikipedia - Sun
Wikipedia - Moon

Luna= Moon in spanish and Itailian

Sol= Sun in Spanish.

You are correct.

new topics

join