It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed re: driving and jobs.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Reading your story was like stepping back in time for me. I was in your exact same situation. I understand your frustration and disappointment. The driving schools in Europe are so expensive, I do not see how any younger people drive, unless they have family to help them out. Driving in Europe is more like a privilege or luxury, it is not seen as a basic necessity because there is public transport. I took buses, trains, streetcars and subways for years while I lived over there and I got jobs that did not require a driving license, mostly working in pubs. but it was hard, especially after I had my first child. Eventually I did get my license, but only because I came back to the USA. I could have never afforded the driving school in Germany.

I worked at a daycare center while over there, and they expected me to drive a van to take the kids on day trips, of course I couldn't but luckily I had a co-worker who stepped up and took over van duty. It temporarily saved me, but I was constantly getting hammered by my boss about the need for me to drive, in case my co-worker was out. Eventually I quit that job for other reasons, but I certainly know how you feel. this was back in the 90s when the economy was booming and jobs were bountiful. Now, it is so cut throat, so many people are applying, employers can be as picky as they want to be. I really do sympathize with you.

I wish I had a solution for you, but the only thing I can think of is moving into a city where driving is not that essential. Once you find a job and save some money then you can work on driving classes. It would be hard because I think you said you had a child, but maybe a few years in the city might be worth it in the long run. Alot of people are having to relocate in the current economy, I know I have considered relocating a few times....i would have to seperate from my husband and move with my kids 3 hours away and only see him on the weekends! But the city is where the work is and if we get desperate enough, that is all we can do. I think the expression "desperate times call for desperate measures" is something many people can relate to.

But it is also in tough times, we are tested and we grow from our struggles. It may seem impossible now, but I have faith it will not stay like this for you, everything changes and so think of this as a temporary set back, but not a defeat. It just means you really got to start doing some "out of the box" thinking to solve your problem. Best, best of luck!!!

Mija

new topics

<< 1   >>

join