It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well-Preserved Woolly Mammoth Found In Siberia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I was astonished at how much of it is intact; from the hair to soft tissue. The scientist estimated it being around 2.5 years old.

BBC Nature

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Was there any DNA?

Oh and did Satan put it there to confuse people? The earth is only 8000 years old or something like that.

Seems I have an answer to my question:

They've been extinct for about 10,000 years, but woolly mammoths could be back on Earth in just five years, according to Japanese scientists who plan to use frozen DNA to resurrect the behemoth.

Last summer, researchers plucked skin and muscle tissue from an ancient mammoth's carcass that was found preserved under permafrost in Siberia. A nearly complete body of one of the animals was found there and has since been kept in a special freezer in a Russian research lab.

Link
edit on 5-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Was there any DNA?

Oh and did Satan put it there to confuse people? The earth is only 8000 years old or something like that.

They've been extinct for about 10,000 years, but woolly mammoths could be back on Earth in just five years, according to Japanese scientists who plan to use frozen DNA to resurrect the behemoth.

Last summer, researchers plucked skin and muscle tissue from an ancient mammoth's carcass that was found preserved under permafrost in Siberia. A nearly complete body of one of the animals was found there and has since been kept in a special freezer in a Russian research lab.

Link

hahaha Oh Boncho you scallywag, I see what you're doing!

Incredible find! It makes me wonder, if they succesfully revive the specie will it be able to adapt and survive...hmmm

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jesiaha

Incredible find! It makes me wonder, if they succesfully revive the specie will it be able to adapt and survive...hmmm

I'm more interested to know what it tastes like to be honest. Not sure if that plays into the whole "chances of survival" thing.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Awww! It's little ginger fur..
Poor lil' thing! Now I need to watch the entire show!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If they do revive the wooly mammoth...

They can feed the world.

Let's hope they use these mammoths for the powers of good.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Forget about religious people, this finding is so scientifically technical that only Asians could probably understand it.

Seeing the fur color is really something in that video. Haven't read anything about DNA being recovered but considering how it was preserved that should help.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

Forget about religious people, this finding is so scientifically technical that only Asians could probably understand it.

Seeing the fur color is really something in that video. Haven't read anything about DNA being recovered but considering how it was preserved that should help.

DNA was found, read the bottom of the post.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Was there any DNA?

Link

1. No one is alive from over 6000 years ago.
2. Evidence can lie.
3. God can make whatever He wants.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Nice article.

I can definitely see one being cloned from the DNA in the near future.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Reminded me of 'The Thing'

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This baby mammoth died in the summer.

Why do I state that?

Simply because his hair is a reddish brown color and other wholly mammoths usually had brown hair color.

If we look at deer, we see that their hair changes color from a reddish brown in the summer to a brown in the fall and winter.

Therefore, I state this wholly mammoth died in the summer.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
2. Evidence can lie.

most of the time its people lying to themselves

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

Actually, that's a stupid idea.

Why bother bringing them back if we're just going to murder them into extinction again?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I never promoted murdering them into extinction. I said they could feed the world. Can such a positive and beneficial thing be so hard to contemplate without making it horrible?

We use cattle and chicken to feed people now. I don't think they are extinct or going extinct. Imagine, over time, that there were enough mammoths to start raising them for food. The entire world could be in a position to never fear going hungry again. It's a beautiful thought and it is truly sad that you can't see it.

This is why we can't have nice things.

edit on 6-4-2012 by Noncents because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Actually wooly mammoths were alive until 5-6,000 years ago. Research St. Paul Island.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

What makes your statement true? Why cant we raise elephants (which are almost identical to mammoths) if they are such a good food source?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I have no idea why more people don't eat elephants, maybe it is expensive. As there are no natural elephants where I live, it may be hard for me to find out. Not that I really even want to. But people do eat elephants. A quick internet search will show you that. Here you go.

I fail to understand your true/false attitude about this. More mammoths equals more food. That is a pretty simple fact.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Interesting, but the DNA (ie from its hair follicles) is probably damaged, right?

any news on the Mammoth DNA in surrogate Elephant Egg/Mother project?

If I remember correctly, they were leaning more on the side of 50/50 Elemoth hybrid. Is it possible to get a pure Mammoth if they only recover a strand or 2 of DNA?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I'm sorry you did not pick up on the hint I was dropping. If it was cost effective to raise Mammoths on a mass scale to feed the world, the same would be true for Elephants. Elephants are not raised on a mass scale, it is not cost effective, Mammoths would also not be cost effective.

More rats, more squirrels, and more deer would also mean "more food". It has nothing to do with feeding the worlds population, great strawman argument though.

More cost effective food is what would feed more people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join