It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone DOES understand why there can't be an Armed Population?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Originally posted by optimus primal

reply to post by DocHolidaze

LOL

just read your Avatar message

I have 2 guns one for each of ya

Like most Americans who want guns you use the BS line of safety and security but the truth is it makes you feel like more of a man.

My leg to stand on is the statistics, forget 3rd world countries and look at countries like the US. We all do fine without guns and Im sure youd all get by as well

except you only count countries that support your position. that's called bias. i gave you an unbiased top of the world firearms deaths per capita. the US isn't even in the top ten. we have ten per hundred thousand people. five not counting suicides. again, that's lower than drownings per year per capita. should we ban water as well?

i also love it when people such as yourself are reduced to insinuating that firearms are only desired by men with small egos, kind of like big trucks. it is amusing to watch as such people throw mud and claim to still be in the right

LOL

I love it when people like you resort to ridiculous statements like "water kills people we should ban it"

In no possible way is any statement like that intelligent or relevant.

Wanting a gun for protection is one thing but many of you seem to revel in gun ownership, owning 6 guns isnt about protection its a fetish

it's not ridiculous. more people drown than are killed by firearms. where's your outrage? also i never said i own six guns. i own A six shooter. it has six chambers. it's not a fetish to own a handgun for protection against violent crime in my home. you're still throwing mud

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

reply to post by DocHolidaze

LOL

just read your Avatar message

I have 2 guns one for each of ya

Like most Americans who want guns you use the BS line of safety and security but the truth is it makes you feel like more of a man.

My leg to stand on is the statistics, forget 3rd world countries and look at countries like the US. We all do fine without guns and Im sure youd all get by as well

You are making assumptions, My avatar message is a direct quote from the movie tombstone(which is a great movie) and one the themes that i personally got from this line was "that even though im dazed i can still handle myself in this situation, which can a apply in any situation,(especially my own since i myself can say i enjoy the simple pleasures of smoke and drink as did the character doc holiday in the movie) not just violent ones.

also I am not just a gun fanatic, i am a student of all weapons and a huge history fan, i find it intriguing that since the dawn of humanity society has created weapons, they are vital to existence just as is food and shelter(i.e. we need tools and weapons to build and eat). the point being weapons are part of what we are as a people, and I living now, in this time, am going to embrace what weapons we have here and now at our disposal, and continue to collect weapons from the past. as any weapon will, firearm or not, i am protected more so than if i had no weapon at all.

why do third world country's get excluded they are no less human beings than you or me, or are you trying to manipulate the facts to portray your side of the argument in a better light?

Ok so you admit you have a weapons fetish, Realistically you would want a gun even if it wasnt necessary.
If thats your argument fine, just dont try and justify it by saying it makes you or anyone else safer coz that is blatant BS.
Rapes and murders still happen in the US just like they do everywhere, but once again the US has 40 gun MURDERS a day and a shooting rampage what seems like every few months. These things are not found in cultures where guns are taboo and not readily available

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

no they're not. instead they have stabbings, and bomb explosions, assaults with bats and pipes, etc. violent crime inevitably increases as gun restrictions increase.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by manna2

very interesting.
I think this says something.
When liberty and the second amendment protection comes up in discussion you think of cartoons.
I thing of individual liberty and the foundation of a once great Nation crumbling because that foundation is undermined in order to destroy it.
For me, it's sad to be represented by cartoons rather than critical thought processes where you understand the principles in action used to overthrow something this great.
I am too old as I have had to witness it first hand and watch it become ...well, cartoonish.

Im not American and am not exactly sure what is meant by second amendment protection, I was refering specifically to the right to bear arms part.
No disrespect towards your constitution was intended.
Its a shame people dont care as much about the other parts of the constitution as they do the guns part, if they did America probably wouldnt be crumbling like you said

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

the first and second amendments are the most important. the second amendment is important because it helps citizens to protect all of the amendments.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnInFL

Hey dude,

I am not American and definately not a wanna be.

You do realise that was like 250 years ago right?
Times change and so do circumstances, as a kid I was scared of the dark but I grew up and no longer need a light on to sleep.

I doubt very much the Redcoats will be back and in the case of revolution if it ever comes to that its much more likely to be successful if its peaceful Other wise your no gonna have another revolutionary type war but a civil type one were some citizens are gonna be for it and others against it and both will be armed, and thats not forget the army who will roll out with tanks, rocket launchers and machine guns while your all packing hand guns

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have a High School buddy who I graduated with and his parents were teachers of English Lit...both with Doctorates...and taught at mu High School. A Doctorate in this field and 50 cents won't buy you a cup of coffee. I was invited to a Christmas day party at their home and they are both people who...yes have a brain but are at a level of intelligence that allows them to believe that they are smarter than they actualy are.

I as well as my other High School Buddy...a Marine...went to this party at my other buddies parents home. I try to keep quiet as my positions vary from theirs and I am big on etiquette. But since they both know my IQ and what I did and still do because I was heavily recruited by the Military in High School and I had a Guidence Counselor with a big mouth...and the fact I am a notoriously BAD SPELLER....IT KILLS THEM that by comparison....my IQ makes theirs look like they are children...so they can't help but try to trip me up on a subject...usually one of social issues.

I consider this rude and my parents taught me to be a good host and always make your guest feel at home. So I endured for a while until something was said about my Dad. My Dad is not only an Officer but ownes several very sucessfull companies which I help with. He as well as my Mom have multiple degrees and he was in the Military and she was in the "CIVILIAN" aspect of Intel. They make these two "Doctors" look like self serving idiots.

The thing is...my Buddy...who I love...it's his parents...so I hold back...until drink makes one of the two of his parents say something because it kills them to know that THEY are NOT the smartest nor anywhere near the wealthiest ENLIGHTENED people in town. So...my buddies Mom starts a conversation with me on CHRISTMAS on my ideas and understandings of Gun Control. At the same time references my Dad between themselves but not loud enough for me to hear. This...I will not tollerate. I have the ability to find a persons weekness and exploit it...as is necessary for my other...Job.....continued....Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Why are we comparing America to Mexico, Somalia, Brazil, Syria etc etc

Come back with statistics on gun crime and deaths in developed countries that are comparable with what you have in the US and Ill take it seriously

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Then perhaps you shouldn't be so confident that you know what's best for this country?

Frankly, it gets rather old when folks, such as yourself, insist upon thinking they know America better than those of us who've lived here, oh, all our lives.

You get upset, and rightfully so in my humble opinion, when Americans, whether private citizens, or our Govt., stick our noses in your business, how about you have the same courtesy?

The Second amendment allows the common citizen to possess the means by which to, either individually, or as a group, to defend themselves. Whether that's against a criminal bent upon harming him/them, or a tyrannical govt bent upon the same. The moment the Second amendment goes by the wayside, I will truly begin to fear for my country's future. Because the other Constitutional freedoms will begin to follow shortly thereafter. Those that aren't under assault already.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

want to get a look at the bigger picture?

5 deaths per 100,000 people. there are 300,000,000 people in america. that's roughly 15,000 deaths a year. as a percentage of population that is .00005% . and it's still less than the amount of people who drown each year, yet i hear no outcry from you seeking to ban rivers and bathtubs.

edit on 5-4-2012 by optimus primal because: now outcry didn't make sense. stupid fingers.

Yeah 15, 000 deaths a year not total but just by guns.
How does this not shock and appall you

No outcry about bathtubs and rivers coz Im trying to stay on topic

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

LOL

Your post made me laugh so star for you

It was still facepalm worthy though

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

How many forks do you own? I say you only need one fork to eat with. Any more than one and you must have a fork fetish.

Guns come in many different calibers and sizes. The gun that you hunt a squirrel with might not pack enough punch to bring down bigger game. Guns are also an investment. Not only safety-wise but financially as well.
The only people that I know that are against guns are people that have no clue what the world is really like.

I have children to protect. A golf club is not going to deter a home invader or someone intent on harming my family. I live out in the backwoods, but I am a very intelligent person. I know that if bad thngs happen in this world, then at least my family will have protection and a good source of food.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Continued....I was trying to avoid doing this all night and my other Buddy....the Marine WARNED ME...that they would try to pull this S#!%....but they involved my Dad in a whispered derogatory sense....ME...I can suck it up....but don't mess with my Family.

For the next 3 minutes...I systematically used both logic and my knowledge of things about them that they never DREAMED I knew about...and this info. was not told to me by their son my buddy. I did it in a way that basically stated that..."You two are fortunate in that you have a nice home and live in a small friendly community in which your greatest worry of the day is whether you are going to have to spend an extra half hour at the end of you grueling 7:30 am to 2 pm 180 day a year job of which you Dr...the Father make $74,000 a year and will retire next year with 90% of your pay with Health Care and benefits for the rest of your life. And you Dr...Mother...Now making $67,000 for your 180 days of teaching will retire two years later but that is OK because I have been informed that your Husband has applied for and been accepted at a teaching position in Connecticut...and since it is illegal to double dip...get retirement benifits in Mass....and take another teaching Job in Mass....he has circumvented this by taking a job over the state line so your Husband will recieve his retirement and benifits as well as pay from Conn. close to what he is making now. I also know that you have also applied in advance to teach at this same school when you retire...and since the person hiring both of you is a close friend...well....NOW I can understand why you desire to Ban Hand Guns! I am sure you would not want a person that allof us know whom you burned to get your Wife the Teaching position at your current High School. Since that person is out of work because of accusations by the both of you that are untrue....it was only logical that a new English Lit. Teacher with a Doctorate...which raises a teachers pay level dramaticly....should have been hired.

My Buddy the Marine....possibly THE TOUGHEST MAN I know....looked at me with his mouth open and said....so I guess we will see you folks next year. We three got up...myself, the Marine and my Buddy whoes parents I just shreaded....and walked out the door. We got into my Truck and statrted driving...no one said a WORD until the laughing started...first by my Hosts son and then by the Marine and then me. We all laughed so hard we CRIED! LOL! Then we all sort of said...on CHRISTMAS FOR CRIPES SAKES! LOL! Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

okay publicly announce your address far and wide and that you have no guns or self defense. I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to show up and trade your belongings and even your life for the explanation of why you should be prepared to defend yourself and how law enforcement does not come fast enough. In fact you not even need announce your address if they are lucky and your not they'll find you anyways!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

reply to post by JohnInFL

Hey dude,

I am not American and definately not a wanna be.

You do realise that was like 250 years ago right?
Times change and so do circumstances, as a kid I was scared of the dark but I grew up and no longer need a light on to sleep.

I doubt very much the Redcoats will be back and in the case of revolution if it ever comes to that its much more likely to be successful if its peaceful Other wise your no gonna have another revolutionary type war but a civil type one were some citizens are gonna be for it and others against it and both will be armed, and thats not forget the army who will roll out with tanks, rocket launchers and machine guns while your all packing hand guns

That is supposed to be what the National Guard is for in each state: To protect the people of the state. But somewhere down the line people have forgotten that.

If you don't live in America, the how do you feel that you have any right to say what we do and do not need here? Growing up, I lived in a bad neighborhood. You would be surprised how quick someone will leave you and your belongings alone when you have a shotgun pointed at them. If my dear grandmother and my parents had not been armed, then I might not be here posting this today.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Guns Don't Kill People, Just Like Spoons Don't Make people Fat.
reply to post by staple

Love it!
and books don't make people smart reading them does!
It's all about use or abuse!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

This is why you must know when to stop. Just as with all things the key is use not abuse!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by nenothtu

LOL

Your post made me laugh so star for you

It was still facepalm worthy though

Well, it was rather tongue in cheek in an attempt at some entertainment value, but dead serious in the main. What parts did you find facepalm worthy, specifically?

The first part can be done with crossbows and such instead of pistols, and I personally know of cases where it was done with less than that (in Bosnia, for example) but you have to admit, it takes a pretty large trench coat to conceal a crossbow. I'd personally prefer a pistol, but if it comes to that, I'll use whatever I have to. Maybe the Russians can airdrop their version of "Liberator" pistols if that day ever comes, like we did in WWII into Europe, for the same purpose. Even that would beat a sharp stick and evil intent.

The second part was dead on the money too, but again with tongue firmly planted in cheek for the delivery.

So what about it was "facepalm worthy", in your estimation?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3

Also, guns don't kill people - people kill people.

That is a common misconception. Guns' don't' kill people ...Bullets do.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

no they're not. instead they have stabbings, and bomb explosions, assaults with bats and pipes, etc. violent crime inevitably increases as gun restrictions increase.

You know what, Ive heard this argument so many times in this thread that I almost believed it but a quick check was very telling.

The 3 countries in order with the lowest rate of violent crime are Iceland, India
and Azerbaijan. All have what Im sure you would call Draconian anti gun laws.

Your statement was completely and utterly false

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join