It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone DOES understand why there can't be an Armed Population?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
with nuclear drones coming, a few handguns won't prevent anything

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Question to you............. are you an American or just a wanna-be? Perhaps you've "never understood" because you can't understand where we came from. A tyrannical government went too far and many of it's citizens left the continent to be free of tryanny. The tyrannical government, with fire arms, followed them in attempt to control them. The people fought back with fire arms. The tyrannical government lost the fight and went home. The people who fled were now free. The people established there was a perpetual need to protect their freedom from foreign and domestic (like they experienced) enemies. A fire arm citizens is necessary for that perpetual freedom.

Some people are criminals and will use anything to hurt people (sticks, rocks, knives, guns). Our freedom shall not be infringed upon by the acts of criminals.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Y'know that's a lovely sentiment. One I wish were true...however, it isn't. The real world is, most unfortunately, full of people who want to take, rather than give... Take things. Take lives. In general, just live off others. Taking things? No biggie in the whole grand scheme of things, things are transitory, and can be replaced. The same can not be said for lives... How many of these horrific events would have been stopped cold if one person, armed, trained, and aware had been present? Columbine? The University killings? ...and a multitude of other events world wide?

Peace on Earth, and goodwill between men is a worthy goal, and one to be supported, but until that happens, men of goodwill must be able to defend themselves against those who are not so good. ...and a gun, in the hands of said man of goodwill, will help enable him/her to continue the work.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

bravo! well said. i believe the majority of posters in this thread totally agree with your post!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Whats the matter, you not like Bible verses? Does a book scare you?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You know all that liberal "greater good" crap postulates that if you disarm the citizens,maybe 20% will fall victim to violent crime when they are unable to defend themselves against stronger better armed attackers but that's ok because it's for the " greater good"of all that everyone(honest) be disarmed.....but since I don't want to be(or see any reason why I should be) part of that 20%,the "greater good" can stick it where the sun don't shine

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Originally posted by Feltrick
During my hunter's safety course (years ago) I had to demonstrate to the instructor that I knew how to handle my shotgun in a safe manner, how to load, how to unload and how to clear a jam. I didn't pull the trigger, but I had to demonstrate proficiency. What's wrong with that?

Should we also demand everyone be evaluated by a psychiatrist before they leave their homes?

I don't have a problem with businesses that sell firearms requiring certain procedures or credentials to purchase them. I have a major problem when the state requires certain procedures or credentials to purchase them, particularly because it's none of their concern what I do with my money as long as I haven't harmed anyone explicitly with it. That's called thought-crime.
edit on 5-4-2012 by imherejusttoread because: (no reason given)

So, then the Fed/States shouldn't require an age limit to purchase a firearm? Would you be comfortable if your neighbor, who's never owned a firearm, bought one and started shooting in the backyard. Hey, they bought it with their money, right? What if they had kids, would you be concerned? Do you feel that criminals should be allowed to buy firearms so as not to infringe on their rights?

I was taught by my father and grandfather how to handle weapons and to treat each one as if it's loaded. Not sure how many first time gun owners know this simple rule. Again, I had relatives teach me at an early age, how many other folks had that same opportunity? When I joined a gun club, they wanted me to demonstrate proficiency with a firearm as a condition of membership. I was very happy to oblige knowing that every other member had done the same.

Thought-crime? What are you talking about? How is requiring a gun owner to demonstrate proficiency a thought crime? You lost me there.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

___ made man but Samuel Colt made them equal..I'll never forget that quote

You ever read this Bible verse? It speaks a lot about you:

Psalm 14:1

"The FOOL hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. "

I wonder if the web site will censor Bible verses...again.
edit on 5-4-2012 by KJV1611 because: i can

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
I always think of Family guy whenever this topic comes up

The whole culture of guns being acceptable needs to change, its no longer the wild west, you no longer need to protect yourself from Indians and cattle rustlers.

Step into the 21st century guys

And there were more per capita murders back then than there are today with 80million gun owners. We're doing just fine. Get your head out of your butt and wake up - armed LAW ABIDING Americans are the last line of defense.
edit on 5-4-2012 by VVV88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2012 by VVV88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
My leg to stand on is the statistics, forget 3rd world countries and look at countries like the US. We all do fine without guns and Im sure youd all get by as well

That's a broken leg my friend, your "totals" are a lame duck, a dog that won't hunt, etc. etc. etc.

Where do you live? I take it it's not the US. Lemme know and I'll be happy to show you, with real, relevant, statistics, why your country is no safer than mine, whether you have guns or not.

OK Ill play, Im from Australia but currently live in Malaysia, both places have no guns

Can you explain how its a "lame duck"? its a fact that no other developed country has as many gun deaths, shooting rampages as the US

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

they will when you're using them to insult another member. nice edit there by the way, taking out the part where you directly called him a fool.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Check into Switzerland's mandatory gun law. They have no military, every man, woman and child is their military. I have visited there and I can say I felt hella safer there than ANYWHERE in America. It's really not about if we are allowed to own guns, but it IS about if we are not.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

What place is safer? Mexico or USA? Today right now?

I am sure almost everyone is aware of the drug war and it's long list of massacres by this point. And it keeps getting worse every day down there.

And what are Mexico's gun laws??

wiki - Gun Politics in Mexico

Gun politics in Mexico have resulted in some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is in many ways similar to the United Kingdom, except with much more severe prison terms for even the smallest gun law violations. On the other hand, possession of non-military-caliber small arms by citizens is largely a non-issue.

So although small arms are generally accepted, military caliber weapons are illegal.
And what types of weapons are the cartels notorious for using? Military weapons of course.

Notice how making a weapon illegal has no effect on actually removing it from the physical world.
And as shown, violence with that weapon type can thrive in the face of such laws trying to restrict it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
Don't like people around you having guns? Move out of the country. Weapons are purely for when government tries to take us over so all this stuff about "it's time to change for the better" is a load of crap, they want you to drop the only defense you have against mindless soldiers so there's zero resistance to crap ass ideas like a one world government.

We have a winner, I sir can not see why anyone living on planet Earth chose would choose not to own a self defense firearm, I guess it is true that there's a sucker born every minute.

The anti gun nuts can be stupid all they want but leave me out of it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 5-4-2012 by imherejusttoread because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
So, then the Fed/States shouldn't require an age limit to purchase a firearm?

No.

Would you be comfortable if your neighbor, who's never owned a firearm, bought one and started shooting in the backyard. Hey, they bought it with their money, right? What if they had kids, would you be concerned?

Yes.

Do you feel that criminals should be allowed to buy firearms so as not to infringe on their rights?

As long as i'm allowed to be armed and protect myself, I really don't care how others practice their freedom of trade. If a criminal wants a gun, they will get a gun. Making a law or restricting a criminal will just direct them to its black market equivalent.

Thought-crime? What are you talking about? How is requiring a gun owner to demonstrate proficiency a thought crime?

Making people take courses or safety measures, through compulsion of the state, based on a crime they might or might not commit is a thought-crime.

link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

That "per 100,000" thing means per capita.

I like how this list is always cast off because all those "poor" countries full of brown people dont count.

It's worth noting that those countries also have some of the most strict gun laws in the world. More strict than Canada or the UK in some cases.

I didnt cast the list off and it certainly has nothing to do with them being full of "brown people".
I dont think as a nation you should use it as something to say "hey look theres countries worse than us" those are all 3rd world countries.

As Ive stated before to get a proper picture compare the US to other developed nations and see the difference

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

want to get a look at the bigger picture?

5 deaths per 100,000 people. there are 300,000,000 people in america. that's roughly 15,000 deaths a year. as a percentage of population that is .00005% . and it's still less than the amount of people who drown each year, yet i hear no outcry from you seeking to ban rivers and bathtubs.

edit on 5-4-2012 by optimus primal because: now outcry didn't make sense. stupid fingers.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hr2burn
Check into Switzerland's mandatory gun law. They have no military, every man, woman and child is their military. I have visited there and I can say I felt hella safer there than ANYWHERE in America. It's really not about if we are allowed to own guns, but it IS about if we are not.

Great point.

Gun Politics in Switzerland

Gun politics in Switzerland are unique in Europe. The personal weapon of militia is kept at home as part of the military obligations. Switzerland has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.[1] In recent times political opposition has expressed a desire for tighter gun regulations.[2] A referendum in February 2011 rejected stricter gun control.

They are very pro-gun ownership apparently.

There are photos of people walking around town in the store with assault rifles over their shoulder. And no one seems to care.

Police statistics for the year 2006[14] records 34 killings or attempted killings involving firearms, compared to 69 cases involving bladed weapons and 16 cases of unarmed assault.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join